ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Home Page looses format

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/11/08 01:53 PM Views: 1321 Replies: 5
Saturday, October 11, 2008 at 1:53 PM

In the past couple of days, I went in and made a simple change to the home page (text changes) and after I did a save, the whole page is no longer formated to fit the custome template. I have 9 other admins on the site and several have also tried their luck, but we have all been unsuccessful at fixing our problem. Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me!

Beverly

Saturday, October 11, 2008 at 3:19 PM - Response #1

I have found the same issues over the past few days....only 1 or 2 times...

Alo the playlist I have on the homepage has not workded for 2 days...any ideas there?

JIM

Edited 10/11/08 3:21 PM
Saturday, October 11, 2008 at 3:43 PM - Response #2

Typically one or more items on your page is too wide. For instance it looks like your slide viewer may be too wide.

There is item near the bottom that is 601 pixels wide.

Try reducing the width of any wide items until the display is okay. (look for width = in code)

Edited 10/11/08 4:01 PM
Saturday, October 11, 2008 at 5:14 PM - Response #3

Ah, that was a good mystery.

At first glance everything looked fine in your site. I was looking for objects that were too large to fit, or a whole bunch of spaces in a row, or something like that, but oddly I couldn't find any. So what on earth was causing the blowout?

Turns out I found the problem in some html code that had been copied from some other program and pasted into our system. Specifically, the offending line was this:

That little nowrap line right there stopped your text from wrapping at all. Thus it blew out your page. I nixed it since I was in there. I'm assuming this code came from some other html program, or Microsoft Word or something like that.

Bottom line: Always paste text from Word or other html software into an html neutral program (such as Notepad), and then copy it again there, before pasting into your editor. Doing this will strip out an extraneous code. Since we give you direct access to your code, if you paste code in there from some third party application, there's no telling what can happen.

Edited 10/11/08 5:16 PM
Saturday, October 11, 2008 at 5:23 PM - Response #4

Thank you SO much for solving our problem! I was racking my brain trying to figure out what might have been the problem. I've made notes in case something like this happens again.

You deserve an award for your promptness and your incredible knowledge!! How you keep up with all our unique problems will always amaze me.

Love Class Creators and all those involved with making our lives a little more enjoyable!

Again, much thanks!

Beverly

Saturday, October 11, 2008 at 6:00 PM - Response #5

JAMES LANGE wrote:

I have found the same issues over the past few days....only 1 or 2 times...

Alo the playlist I have on the homepage has not workded for 2 days...any ideas there?

JIM

By "not worked" do you mean that you can't see the player, or that you can't hear the player?

Your player is there and I can hear the music just fine. It looks like you deliberately set the width and height to only 1 pixel though, so you've chosen to hide the player. Thus my guess is that it's currently working as you intended.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.