ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Password Protect Classmate Profiles

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 02/20/10 01:45 PM Views: 1695 Replies: 15
Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Hello Everyone,

The statistics on our web site show that we have many more visitors to the site, than are showing up as registered classmates. Is there anyway you can tell who those visitors are? Are they classmates who check in but aren't registered? Other admins from Class Creator? Web searchers? We are trying to make a decision to password protect the profiles page. What are the pro's and con's?

Your advice is welcomed here.

Thanks,

Donna

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 1:49 PM - Response #1

I don't recommend password protecting the main Classmate Profiles page. No personal information is found on that page, and each Classmate already has the ability to restrict their Profile to only fellow Classmates. In general, password protecting that page makes it far harder to join the site and participate, and creates a lot of extra work for the Administrator. Nonethless, should you choose to password protect the page anyway, the option is certainly there for you.

For tracking who's coming to your site, from where, etc., there's nothing out there better than Google Analytics. Our system integrates with Analytics, just click on your Prefeences page and paste your Analytics code into the box provided. That's all there is to it. Once your code is there, you can log into Analytics at any time and view your site statistics.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 2:16 PM - Response #2

Brad,
Is there any way to protect the Custom links pages besides password protecting it. I would like to put contact info on our Reunion committee page..but don't want the public to be able to see. I know you have a toggle on some pages..that we can mark you can only see this info when logged in.
It would be nice if we could do that to the Reunion Page,too.
I don't like password protecting pages...It will be a real headache for all the site admins and me.
Thanx for all you do!!!
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!! RazzVery HappyWink

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 2:23 PM - Response #3

Darlene,

You might not be understanding what "Password Protect" means. It means you need the site password OR you need to be logged in. So if you want regular classmates to see it, but don't want the general public to see it, you want to "Password Protect" the page. I think that is what you described that you want.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 2:55 PM - Response #4

Yeah..I guess...I must have been having a Blonde moment...yes...I am Blonde!!! Embarassed

Just so I get it right..I just check the box next to the pages I want to protect.
Thanx KyleWink

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 3:02 PM - Response #5

Kyle,

Thanks for your quick response again. You are always helpful.

RE your message: For tracking who's coming to your site, from where, etc., there's nothing out there better than Google Analytics. Our system integrates with Analytics, just click on your Prefeences page and paste your Analytics code into the box provided. That's all there is to it. Once your code is there, you can log into Analytics at any time and view your site statistics.

I went to Preferences and added our website domain name as our analytics code. Is that correct? Or is there another code somewhere? Are statistics available retroactively? I get confused on the Google site--where do you find the stats?

Donna

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 3:07 PM - Response #6

Webmaster Darlene wrote:

Yeah..I guess...I must have been having a Blonde moment...yes...I am Blonde!!! Embarassed

Just so I get it right..I just check the box next to the pages I want to protect.
Thanx KyleWink

That is correct.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM - Response #7

DONNA EWOLDT wrote:

Kyle,

Thanks for your quick response again. You are always helpful.

RE your message: For tracking who's coming to your site, from where, etc., there's nothing out there better than Google Analytics. Our system integrates with Analytics, just click on your Prefeences page and paste your Analytics code into the box provided. That's all there is to it. Once your code is there, you can log into Analytics at any time and view your site statistics.

I went to Preferences and added our website domain name as our analytics code. Is that correct? Or is there another code somewhere? Are statistics available retroactively? I get confused on the Google site--where do you find the stats?

Donna

Donna, not quite right.

You need to sign up with Google Analytics - it is free. There is a link on the PREFERENCES page. Just click on it. After you have signed up (give them e-mail address, create a password), they will give you some EMBED HTML codes that you should paste on your website Preferences section.

You are correct - there are no retroactive statistics - only from when you sign up.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 3:22 PM - Response #8

Password protecting pages: Just so this is perfectly clear, password protecting pages does NOT require members to enter any passwords if they're logged in. So it's not really a pain. Smile

Analytics: No it is not retroactive. It starts the day you add your Analytics code. You do need to add the code block they provide you. All instructions for that are on the Analytics site.

Edited 02/20/10 3:23 PM
Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 3:25 PM - Response #9

Kyle,

Got it. Signed up and pasted the embed code. Do they send a report, or do I check on my account status periodically? Another source of questions for you no doubt!

Thanks again!

Donna

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 3:34 PM - Response #10

Hey who you callin' Kyle?? Wink

You need to log into your Analytics account when you want to view your site stats.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 3:52 PM - Response #11

Hi Brad,

I'm impressed--got a big cheese response to my puny question!

Kyle is so helpful, didn't even look at the sender. Kyle always rules!

BRAD, while I have your attention for a sec--we established a paypal account here. I received an email today from Paypal asking me to verify my account information. It looks authentic, but how can you tell? Wanted all my personal info, credit card, social security, etc. My cousin got scammed on a similar deal.

Donna

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 3:56 PM - Response #12

DONNA EWOLDT wrote:

Kyle always rules!
DONNA EWOLDT wrote:
Kyle always rules!
DONNA EWOLDT wrote:
Kyle always rules!
DONNA EWOLDT wrote:
Kyle always rules!
DONNA EWOLDT wrote:
Kyle always rules!

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 4:03 PM - Response #13

OK, Kyle rules and is very funny too!

DE

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 4:25 PM - Response #14

DO NOT click any links in that supposed email from PayPal. It's definitely a scam email. Instead log directly into your PayPal account. Anything needed (which I doubt is anhytbhing) will be listed there.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 at 6:13 PM - Response #15

BRAD She is a Blonde LOL

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.