ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Positioning photos

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/12/09 07:16 PM Views: 1650 Replies: 5
Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 7:16 PM

I am totally inept when it comes to posting photos. The upcoming Photo Gallery feature might make things easier but in the meantime I have a lot of pictures I need to post.

The photos always load with the new one at the top of the page and I would like to be able to choose specific positions. Do I need to load the photos in reverse order or is there a way to move pictures around? I can't seem to move or cut any of the pictures.

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 7:35 PM - Response #1

If you are talking about one of the customized pages, an announcement or your home page, I think you can drag & drop the images around on the page.

If you want it more formatted, you can create a TABLE (maybe 2X2) and then place one image in each cell on the top row and then underneath the images in the next row, type descriptions. This way, they are formatted nicely.

Hope this helps.

Kyle

Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 7:43 PM - Response #2

Thanks, Kyle. I still can't seem to drag & drop, but I did figure it out anyway.

Sunday, November 15, 2009 at 9:03 AM - Response #3

Here are ways to approach three different situations:

1. You have a large number of photos you want to display with captions for each. Use a custom page or a survey (more about why later.) Upload your first photo; after it uploads, you should see Image Properties (if not, right-click on the picture and choose Image Properties.) You can adjust the display size of the picture by adjusting it's height or width. A 'safe' size is no wider than 500 pixels. You don't need to adjust any of the other choices if you simply want to stack one photo on top of the next with a caption in between.

After the image is resized, click on OK. and hit ENTER to move the cursor below the picture and type your caption. Another ENTER and upload the next photo and do the same for each picture. If you want to place a photo ABOVE another one you've already entered, simply click the mouse to the left of the photo you want it to appear above and upload the photo there, ENTER again and caption and ENTER for a space. EXAMPLE

If you want to reorder pictures and captions, drag across the area you want to move, right-click the highlighted area and choose CUT (or CTR-X). Position the mouse where you want it to move to, right-click and choose PASTE (or CTR-V).

2. If you want text to run-around a photo, position the cursor at the beginning of a paragraph of text. Upload the picture, adjust the width to 200-300 and select ALIGN to left or right. If you choose LEFT, make the VSPACE and HSPACE about 10 - this will create some 'white space' around the picture so the type doesn't touch the image. If you are using RIGHT, the ragged type probably won't be too close to the image's left side. From a graphic design standpoint, a variety of sizes is pleasing. EXAMPLE

3. If you have a lot of smaller images (like yearbook head-shots) that you want to place on a page, Start by inserting a table. Tables automatically adjust to width and height based on the images in them, so you don't need to decide what those dimensions should be. But for ease of entering the pictures, make them 4x4 to start. Click in each cell of the table, upload a photo, adjust the height OR width to the same size (remembering that 72 pixels = 1" in display size.)

After uploading the image, hit ENTER and type the caption for the image in that cell. Repeat for each cell. Again, you'll have to pre-plan how many cells wide you want your table to be. You can adjust the thickness of the table rulers by experimenting with the Table Properties. Right-click in the table and set the border to zero if you don't want to see the rules between cells. Experiment with cell padding (space within each cell to the 'border') and cell spacing (space between each cell).

Idea Tables are nice because it forces the captions to be with the picture. If you are entering a photo in the body of copy and you want to add a caption below a run-around photo, create a 1-by-1 cell table, upload the photo, hit ENTER and type the caption, then set the table border to zero.

IdeaIn order for type to runaround the photo and caption, you'll need to set the align for the table to right or left.

(Idea When scanning yearbook photo pages, crop the individual shots to include the person's name. It sure makes it easier so you don't have to add 'captions' to each one later.)

IdeaIf you are running short of custom pages, create a survey with an open-ended question (comment box) at the bottom of the page. "What are your memories of XYZ?" You can have an unlimited number of survey pages (tip from B.R.A.D.)

Edited 11/15/09 1:13 PM
Sunday, November 15, 2009 at 9:20 AM - Response #4

John,

Thanks for posting this. Very useful information.

Sunday, November 15, 2009 at 1:01 PM - Response #5

Wow John, great information! I hope to be able to incorporate some of the text formatting immediately!

I love this site and all the helpful people, I can't believe how much I've learned from everyone!

Thank you, thank you, & thank you, especially Brad & Kyle & Company!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.