ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

classmates registratin

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/16/09 04:17 PM Views: 1237 Replies: 3
Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 4:17 PM

hey, i have just created our class webpage.. this site is great. i logged out as the administrator and tried to just log in as a guest. since i (administrator) didn't enter each classmate's name, it's telling my classmates to contact me to add their name to the list.. how do i have my classmates enter all of their information instead of contacting me????

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 7:43 PM - Response #1

Hi Lisa,

You will have to go to MANAGE CLASSMATES and enter their names unless you want them to contact you each time. I know it's tedious. I put in all of their names and the last known address and phone numbers that I had carried over from our last reunion. That was the most time-consuming project of this website. There may be an easier way such as downloading an Excel file, but Brad or Jessica will need to help you there as I did all mine manually.

Good luck,
Dawn

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 10:51 PM - Response #2

There's a whole variety of reasons you don't want to do that, including in general it not working anywhere near as well, not allowing Calssmates to easily bring in other Classmates, not automatically maintaining your list of Missing Classmates, now throw in privacy issues, hijacking issues, and a few other things that will surface, and what you'll wind up with is exactly what we wound up with. There are numerous reasons for entering your Classmates in advance. IN fact I'd go so far as to say the success of your site depends on it. Use the Excel import sheet for easiest entry. Even whatever info you have, but all you really have to enter is Classmates' first and last names. Do that and you're off and running. It's not really so hard to do that -- we have alumi sites with over 30,000 members that have done the same thing in advance. Your work doing this will pay off big.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 1:37 PM - Response #3

Brad is SO right! The success of your site does indeed depend on you pre-entering your classmates' names!

I feel lucky to have had a partial list of names (about half of the class) on paper from our 20-year reunion that I scanned using OCR (optical character recognition) to "transcribe" the image into a text file/spreadsheet which I then uploaded to the website. It was a huge timesaver!

Today, more than half (of nearly 500 from our class of '79) have registered since we went live 6 months ago.

Cheers!

Terry

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.