ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Click to enlarge photo

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/27/09 09:50 PM Views: 1878 Replies: 18
Monday, April 27, 2009 at 9:50 PM

I know that this question has been been posted and answered but I must be thick headed. I don't get it.
I have a class photo that I successfully placed on the site. I would like classmates to be able to click it to make it larger. I read and reread the directions but just don't get it.
Could you look at it and tell me what to do? Thanks so much,
www.holyredeemer69.com. The photo can be found if you click on "Our Class Picture" on the left hand column.
Thanks so much,
Ilene

Monday, April 27, 2009 at 10:17 PM - Response #1

I see it. No worries, I can help you. Where specifically are you going wrong in the process? Or is there some part of the process you're not trying because you don't understand the next step? Let me know specifically where you're at in the process and I'll walk you through this -- it's not too hard, hang in.

Monday, April 27, 2009 at 11:14 PM - Response #2

Hi Brad,
I guess I am confused about the sizing issue from the get go. I saw where you walked a user through the process of taking a thumbnail image and then clicking it to enlarge. I am wondering if I can take the image size that I have uploaded (I can certainly change the size if need be) and then apply the functionality of enlarging it further so that classmates can view their own pic within the group photo. I know that they can copy the image or save it to their computer (so they can enlarge it) but if I could do it on the website, that would be awesome.
Thanks in advance for your help. We love the website.
Ilene

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 1:04 AM - Response #3

First let's get your large image uploaded to the system so there is something to click to. Before we even do that though, can you tell me how wide the image is currently?

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 7:26 AM - Response #4

The pixel dimensions are 2000 x 1552. The image dimensions are 6.667 x 5.073.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 3:43 PM - Response #5

All right. If you don't want users scrolling left and right to see the whole photo, I'd resize the image down to 1,100 pixels. If you want the photo to be very large like it is now and don't mind people scrolling to the left and right to see the whole image, keep it as it is now.

Ok, once you've decided what width to go with, I want you to:

1) Go into edit mode for any page
2) Click your chain link icon
3) Click the Upload tab
4) Select your large image on your hard drive and then click the "Send It To The Server" button.
5) Once the file has uploaded, the resulting path to the file will be displayed. Select it and press control C to copy that path to your clipboard.
6) Come back to this forum and paste the path here. Before we proceed to the next step, let's make sure we get the file up to the server ok and that we can view it in a web browser.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 11:15 PM - Response #6

Hi Brad,
Here is the link:
/userfiles/File/redeemer_class_pic_1100.jpg

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 11:24 PM - Response #7

Great! You can see your file by typing in the full link path into your browser: http://www.holyredeemer69.com/userfiles/File/redeemer_class_pic_1100.jpg

Now, go into edit mode where your smaller image is, click on it, and then click the chain link icon. Then copy and paste the link above into your link area.

Go ahead and save your page again and test it out. Your small preview image now links to your large image. Let's get that working first, and then let me know if you want me to teach you how to open your link in a new window so you don't actually leave your site design to see it.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 11:33 PM - Response #8

When I go to the edit page, the link it there but I can't click it. I can copy it, but it doesn't "click".

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 11:35 PM - Response #9

Click directly on your smaller photo to select it. And then click the chain link icon.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 11:44 PM - Response #10

I guess I am a little dense. You say to click on the smaller photo. I don't get it. There is a link when I go to the page in the edit mode. It doesn't click.
When I go to the picture, it appears that I can already click it and it enlarges. Is that it?
I would like to make is a smoother transition, if possible.
BTW, do you ever sleep? lol

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 11:48 PM - Response #11

No, I do not.

Where did your smaller photo go that used to be on that page? Somehow you must have deleted it. You need to reupload it. And then click on it. And then click the chain link icon to paste in your link. When you do though, make sure you use the FULL link that I gave you above, starting with the http://www.etc.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 11:58 PM - Response #12

Okay, I believe I followed those directions.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 12:10 AM - Response #13

You sure did! Smile

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 12:14 AM - Response #14

Thanks so much.

Now, you said, "then let me know if you want me to teach you how to open your link in a new window so you don't actually leave your site design to see it."

Is that different from what I have?

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 12:39 AM - Response #15

Yes.

Ok, final step of opening the image in a new window: Go back into edit mode, and then click the Source button in the upper left corner. Look in your code and identify this string:

And after the call to the image add this to it:

target="_blank"

In other words that string should be replaced with this string:

That target="_blank" in there just tells the Classmate's browser to open the link in a new browser window. Simple as that. Smile

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 1:32 AM - Response #16

Yeah, I've got it. You are awesome.
Thanks so much.
Ilene

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 12:08 PM - Response #17

The only final thing I'd recommend is under your photo I'd center "Click photo to enlarge". People usually won't inherently realize an image is clickable unless you tell them so.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 2:12 PM - Response #18

Gotcha! Thanks!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.