ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Showing up as Missing Classmate checked all defaults

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/05/09 02:22 AM Views: 1794 Replies: 7
Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 2:22 AM

A classmate emailed the following to me. I have checked to ensure my site settings are not causing this (we have option enabled that once they sign up they are "found"). When I look at our missing classmate list I don't see her name included in the missing classmates. Any idea on what it is she is encountering?
Thanks! Here is the email:

Hey there Kristen, or Anita, or whoever is running this now...I created a profile quite awhile ago, but somehow I'm still on the "Missing Classmates" list. When I click on my name, it asks me to log out as Karin Thorvaldson Merkle, and basically start all over with a profile. Anyway, just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Also, thanks so much for doing this site!! I missed the reunion, but it's been nice to see what everyone's up to, and where they're living! Thank you!

Karin

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 8:38 AM - Response #1

Could be that this classmate has two profiles, Karin Merkle and Karin Thorvaldson (Merkle). Both of these names appear in the Missing Classmate page, but neither of these profiles have any profile information.

This problem seems to be caused by COOKIES, so if you have the classmate try using a different browser (cookies are browser specific) or have her delete the browser cookies, she might be able to create a new classmate profile. Click HERE for directions on how to clear browser cookies.

Since both profiles do not have any information in them, (Not even a class picture), you could ask her which profile she wants to keep and then delete both of them (we don't know which one has the problem), then add the one she wanted to keep again.

Edited 08/05/09 9:10 AM
Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 10:24 AM - Response #2

Kyle is right. You've got the Classmate entered twice. Which is why the non used name is still appearing on your Missing Classmates page. Assuming the Classmate is not having any problems logging in or stayling logged in there is no need for her to delete browser cookies or anything like that. You just need to delete the second, non used instance of her name and you're all set.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 10:27 AM - Response #3

So, why doesn't either of the two entries show up when I do Classmate Profiles, and Filter by "Newest Members"?

Also, why do both of the classmates show up on the Missing Classmates page?

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 10:33 AM - Response #4

Folloup: Actually, you've got two instances of this person on your Class List AND the person has never joined under either name. She may well have joined at some point in the past, but as near as I can tell an Admin must have deleted her account for some reason. The one thing I can tell you for sure right now is this:

1) Youv'e got her on your Class List twice, and you need to delete 1 instnace of her name.
2) After you've done that she needs to join the site.

What's really weird is her comment about being asked to log out. Clearly at one point she was logged in, and must have a login cookie stored on her computer. The only possible way for this to have happened is she joined at some point, and an Admin later deleted her account. The fact that her name is on the list twice currently suggests that somebody was entering her name 2 or more times, and I have a bad feeing at some point an Admin was dealing with this issue and they most likely zapped her real account.

Edited 08/05/09 10:34 AM
Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 10:39 AM - Response #5

Kyle Erickson wrote:

So, why doesn't either of the two entries show up when I do Classmate Profiles, and Filter by "Newest Members"?

Also, why do both of the classmates show up on the Missing Classmates page?

'Cause she's no longer a member under either account. She's a non member with an old login cookie from when she used to be a member. That has to be the case since it's the only possible thing that could be the case. In the history of Class Creator I've never see this. But I can certainly see how somebody could have deleted an active account inadvertenetly. I suspect at some point there were actually 3 instances of this person's name. Somebody noticed 1 or more repetitions, went in to remove 1 or more extra names, and in the process zapped her real account she was actually using.

Before deleting an account you want to be sure to go into the Details screen for the entry you're about to delete and make sure there is no Password field present on that screen. If there IS a Password field, that account is actively being used.

Edited 08/05/09 10:40 AM
Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 10:59 AM - Response #6

It could also be that she is logged in as her husband's account (Tim Merkle), sharing the same computer.

You can tell that "Karin Thorvaldson (Merkle)" was added at a later time because her member_id=2206320.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 at 11:03 AM - Response #7

I thought about that, but she put in her original question: "When I click on my name, it asks me to log out as Karin Thorvaldson Merkle." Thus I can only conclude she has an old login cookie from a time prior to when her account was deleted.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.