ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Way to keep someone from posting

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/14/19 01:34 PM Views: 788 Replies: 17
Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 1:34 PM

Can you put a tick mark next to a classmates name and keep them from posting on the message forum? He wants to be able to read but wants to save himself from posting less than nice responses. He has issues I guess you’d say. At least he realizes it. I told him I’d see what. I can do.

Janie

Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 2:38 PM - Response #1

I believe the only thing we as admins can do for the Message Forum is, under Edit Link, to make the forum active or inactive, and to "Restrict to Classmates only" (i.e. make it available only to those who are logged in). I don't believe there is any way to restrict posting on the forum for one user.

Edited 09/14/19 2:39 PM
Monday, September 16, 2019 at 8:42 PM - Response #3

What would be the options if someone was abusive? Used foul language? It seems there should be a way to block a classmate from posting.

Class Creator, any input on this?

Thanks,
Janie

Monday, September 16, 2019 at 9:29 PM - Response #4

Janie,
We have the following
“MEMBER DISCLAIMER: Any Member may have his/her membership revoked at the discretion of the Site Administrators.” The wording continues...

Our Member Disclaimer to classmates is specific as it is on several CC websites and our Disclaimer is located on our Homepage.
If a classmate would post what you describe, you might consider sending the classmate a warning that the comment had been deleted and add the wording of your website Member Disclaimer.If the classmate continues, as an Admin my responsibility is to other classmates and I would delete the classmate from our website. We had a classmate posting political comments which I deleted. I privately contacted the classmate the comment was deleted by me and included our Member Disclaimer. The classmate now posts only friendly comments. Hope any of this is helpful.

Monday, September 16, 2019 at 10:30 PM - Response #5

Janie Blank wrote:

What would be the options if someone was abusive? Used foul language? It seems there should be a way to block a classmate from posting.

Unfortunately, if they're a registered member, they can post. Over the years, there have been requests from time to time to give admins the ability to (1) block individual members from logging in, or (2) set a member to 'read only'. Fortunately these problems aren't common, and the requests have never made it beyond 'On the wish list" responses.

Edited 09/16/19 10:31 PM
Monday, September 16, 2019 at 11:34 PM - Response #6

Edit Classmates, Details, Change Email address. Sort of like a "block" in that they can't login. For example, "blocked@blocked.com" works.

When they ask how to log in, you have a chance to "explain".

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 11:43 AM - Response #8

Yes, that works, but... the system has automatically sent a reminder to their previous email address saying that it's been changed. And of course, they no longer get any notify emails - which may be overkill if we just don't want them to be able to sign in but would like for them to stay involved - with some instructions on how to play nice.

Edited 09/17/19 11:45 AM
Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 10:02 PM - Response #10

Agreed, but there is no other way. It's another "little thing" that is missing in class management. Add to "the list" that is somewhere Laughing

I forgot to say to do it TWO times. The second time it will go to the email that was changed before. Or you could change the PW too then. Classmate will not get the message for either one the second time.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 7:23 PM - Response #11

Elena,
We have a 'Purpose Statement' on our Home Page.
While that issue you mentioned has never come up, I would give them one warning, via email, and upon their second 'violation' I would have no qualms about removing them from the site.

Friday, September 20, 2019 at 3:17 PM - Response #12

Steve
Completely agree with you!

Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 2:27 PM - Response #13

This person enjoys reading the forum but seems unable to stop himself from posting snarky responses. If we could make him a read only it would help a lot. He is the one asking for this by the way. He’s a nice person just has some issues.

Class Creator think about making this possible!

Thanks!
Janie

Friday, September 27, 2019 at 8:12 AM - Response #14

Simply paraphrased from others:

"Always keep your words soft and sweet,
Fore you never know when you'll have to eat them."

While I am not an IT person, I do know that Facebook has a feature to allow folks to view groups, but must be a member to post or comment. Janie, I feel the situation you describe may be that famous:
'One in a million'
and probably not worth CC's cost of having the programmers create you request.
Has anyone else experienced what she describes with site members?

Friday, September 27, 2019 at 10:48 AM - Response #15

STEVE STEIN wrote:

Has anyone else experienced what she describes with site members?

Probably not. A member who is aware that he can't control his posts but want's the admin to stop him is probably unique.

But... The ability to lock a member (and especially a guest) to a 'read-only' mode is something we've asked for in the past. Needed less frequently but not uncommon was a request to simply lock someone out for a while with a easy check box - leaving their profile intact.

What we've asked for in the past in various requests for specific capabilities could be met by including a set of "permissions" for everyone. The framework for that already exists in the permissions we assign when we create a co-admin.

Edited 09/27/19 10:57 AM
Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 1:20 PM - Response #16

Working in Mental Health, it’s possible your classmate may have a psychiatric diagnosis, not easily remedied.
It is a shame.
Perhaps you can vigilantly delete all his questionable comments without deleting classmate from your website.

Edited 09/28/19 1:25 PM
Saturday, October 5, 2019 at 8:57 PM - Response #17

As an admin on a Facebook group page, we have admin tools. I set a member on one of the pages to have a moderator approve all posts for 30 days. It was that or remove the member. There are times we simply have to block them from returning as they do not heed the earlier messages.

It is great to have an active site here on Class Creator. Congrats for that. Cool

Janie Blank wrote:

This person enjoys reading the forum but seems unable to stop himself from posting snarky responses. If we could make him a read only it would help a lot. He is the one asking for this by the way. He’s a nice person just has some issues.

Class Creator think about making this possible!

Thanks!
Janie

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.