ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

What's the difference between a Poll and a Survey Instructions Survey Response Options

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/23/17 06:12 PM Views: 1653 Replies: 8
Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 6:12 PM

What's the difference between a Poll and a Survey
Survey Instructions
Survey Response Options

All of this information has been copied (and edited) from the forum and ClassCreator Sites. I thought it might be useful to consolidate some of the information available (and I keep forgetting to check the FAQ's).

Copied from the FAQ Section

What's the difference between a Poll and a Survey?

Answer: Here's an explanation:

Poll: The Poll embeds right into your home page and is often used as an entertainment feature. Polls can only have multiple choice answers. Each Classmate can only vote once, and after voting Classmates see the Live Poll Results in a graphical pie chart format (pie chart will not appear until 2 or more Classmates have selected 2 or more answers). To create a Poll click on Edit Site Pages from your Administration Area, then click the Edit button next to "Home Page". Finally click on "Manage Poll" and then follow the instructions.

Survey: The Survey module allows you to create sophisticated surveys with simple point and click functionality [but rather than appearing on your Home Page, they occupy their OWN New Page]. However, surveys can be on the home page if they are embedded in an announcement.

Surveys are usually used for collecting necessary information, such as information to assist you in planning a Class Reunion. The sky's the limit on the types of surveys you can design and the questions you can ask. You can even put more than one survey live at a time. Classmates must log in to vote, and each Classmate can only vote once. Surveys have their own visibility permission settings, allowing you to decide if Classmates see the results of a survey, or if the survey results stay hidden and only available to you, the Site Administrator.

How do you Create a Survey?

Jessica in Support tells us:

When you go to Survey Maker (click Gears Icon on the right) choose Add a New Survey if your website is using the Responsive Design format, otherwise look at the left-side menus, under the heading "Administrator Functions." Give the survey a name and there is a content area where you can type in an introduction to the survey if needed.

Below the content area is a black line and then an Add Question button. When you add a question you will be selecting the type of question you are adding. [and the type of response you want, e.g. Yes or No, Select from a list, Fill In your own answer, etc.] When you are ready to add the second question you would choose the Add Question button again etc.

The following comes from clicking on the Survey Maker and at the bottom, click "Show Help"

Deactivated question. You can activate and deactivate questions at any time.

Activated question. When you add a new question, you must choose what Type it is.

Answer Type - click the dropdown to select the type of answer you are seeking... Yes / No, Checkboxes if you have multiple choices where the user can answer more than one, Radio Buttons for multiple choice where the user can answer ONLY one, Short Text field for short answers and Comment Box for longer answers.

Following are explanations and examples of each:

Radio Buttons: presents the user with multiple options, but allows them to select only one.

Dropdown List: same as Radio Buttons, but the options appear in a dropdown, and "Fillout" answers (which allow users to enter their own selection) are not available.

Checkboxes: presents the user with multiple options, and allows them to select any combination.

Yes or No: allows only Yes or No answers.

Short Text: a single-line input box.

Comment Box: a larger input box, for longer answers.

Kyle Erickson tells us:

There are detailed instructions on the SURVEY MAKER page.

Surveys
The Survey Creator makes creating complex surveys simple. You can create as many surveys as you would like, and you can choose whether or not a survey is active on your site. For example, you can have one survey currently active while building another survey behind the scenes that you plan to activate at a later date. You can also have 2 or more surveys active on your site at the same time. After you have finished creating a survey just click the checkmark in the "Active" column to make the survey live and visible to your Classmates. You can return to the Survey Creator at any time to make changes to a survey even if it is currently active on your site.

SURVEY RESULTS:
If you set your Survey Results Visibility to "Admins Only" no Classmates will be able to view answers to your survey questions. If you set the visibility to "All Classmates" your Classmates will be able to view collective group results but WILL NOT be able to view each Classmate's specific answers [ you can see the answer, but Not who said it ] like Administrators can. Individual answers are never displayed to site members for privacy purposes.

-------------

LeRoy "Skip" Osborn adds:

The Survey Maker tells you what the survey does but not how to create the actual survey question/tools. All it shows is a blank sheet. From another forum question you talk about check boxes/radio buttons:

"Monday, November 2, 2015 at 12:42 PM - Response #2

When building a question...
1) State the question.
2) Use the Answer Type dropdown to select the type of answer you are seeking... Yes / No, Checkboxes if you have multiple choices where the user can answer more than one, Radio Buttons for multiple choice where the user can answer ONLY one, Short Text field for short answers and Comment Box for longer answers.

If you choose the Checkbox or Radio buttons, there is a spot for you to add your answers...

3) Add the first answer and then click the Add Answer button. Repeat until all answers are added."

Does an e-mail go out to the classmates informing them of the survey or how do they find out about it?"

Thanks.

Skip Osborn

-------------

Scott Mastenbrook adds:

The survey would be considered a new page of the site, and so for those members who have their Notify Me setting to be informed of new pages, they would get a notice. If it were me though, I would send an email to the class asking them to log in and take the survey.

- - - - - - - - -

Now the question exists "Once I've got all the survey data, how do I interpret it?

At the risk of making an already too long an article longer, I'll simply say here is my elementary attempt to make sense of my data if you know statistics and can provide help, please jump in!

I did a Food Survey for our reunion to determine tastes. I listed a lot of foods and asked people to rate them on a 1 to 5 scale with 1) I love it; 2) I like It; 3) I'm neutral; 4) Not my favorite but would eat it; 5) I hate it!

Once we got the results, we downloaded them into a spread sheet and assigned a value to each a 1 got 2 points; a 2 got 1 point; a 3 received 1 point; a 4 got a -1; and a 5 got a -2. We tallied the results and the favorites with the fewest negatives rose to the top with the highest scores. I'm sure there is a much better way to do this and would love you statistics oriented folks to chime in and show us how else we can do surveys, but like many of us, I'm learning as I go.

This survey was invaluable when negotiations with our local "H"otel failed and we had to determine another caterer. Many restaurants are happy with a 34% food cost (food cost X 3 = Price) the best we could get out of our "Classy Hotel" resulted in their asking over 10 times that amount. We ended up going with a local BBQ chain for $14.95 per person VS $65 per person, had a lot of food left over, a very satisfied class, and Dropped out Ticket Price by $50.00 per person. . . . But I'd have never known about that alternative without the survey (Fried Chicken was a followup favorite). . . Thank you Class Creator!

Edited 06/26/18 3:22 AM
Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 10:26 AM - Response #1

Good job Gary. One thing I didn’t see in the posting is that surveys can be on the home page if they are embedded in an announcement.

Monday, September 25, 2017 at 11:06 AM - Response #2

Thanks Kyle!

I've edited the message to include that. If you, or anyone else thinks of anything else that I've missed, please post it.

Gary

Edited 09/26/17 4:44 PM
Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 10:41 PM - Response #3

This is all great info but when I go to Survey Maker, none of the options you refer to are there. No 'gear' on the right, no options for radio buttons etc. No black line.
We are gradfathered and using the free version. Is this why I cannot get this information?

Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 9:20 AM - Response #4

Alrob,

Gary is talking about the Survey Maker using the Responsive Design websites. With Responsive Design, all of the Administrator Functions of the website are accessed through a "Gear" icon in the top-right corner. You would have the same functions on the left-side menus, under the heading "Administrator Functions".

You can change your website over to Responsive Designs by going to the Change Design, then clicking the "DIY Design" button.

I don't think the Survey Maker is any different when using the Legacy Designs vs. the Responsive Designs.

Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 4:25 PM - Response #5

I can go to Survey Maker but cannot find how to insert radio dials or boxes with the questions. I tried looking at the responsive design and when I clicked on the gear then survey maker, I got the same thing. I am missing something.

Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 4:39 PM - Response #6

Never mind. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. Thanks for your help

Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 4:45 PM - Response #7

Did you want to share what you did wrong or just leave it at that?

Monday, June 25, 2018 at 3:20 PM - Response #8

At some point when first trying I entered the questions in the message area then hit save. That eliminates the box at the bottom to 'add question'. Once I started a new survey I saw the box and everything works fine. Hey, this is our 50th: I'm getting old.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.