ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Eample of "Bitmap" Problem is Attached

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/13/11 01:46 PM Views: 1385 Replies: 7
Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM
Listofalumsattending_ver-h.xls

I found a way around (by editing out the "bitmap" in Word) on the final Class Creator preview page, but it does not solve the basic problem.

I have attached an example of an offending Excel file. Cells C18 and A20 seem to have either a 1 by 1 pixel *.gif file or a 10 by 10 pixel *.png file (both transparent) in them. I paste the excel file into word and then paste that using the Edit page function of the Class Creator site. These error image files cause the generation of the word "bitmap" into the final Class Creator "Who's Coming" page.

I have been unable to rid the two cells of these lurking image files (such as by a paste of new clean text into the offending cell. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ed Reitan

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 2:28 PM - Response #1

Where do you see the words "bitmap"? I could not duplicate seeing those words, even by pasting in CC. Your final page appears to have all the img removed? (Looks great)

I can see the image names in the original pasted version - although mine are generated differently, so it has something to do with Excel.

The images appear to be spacing images that are not stripped on the importing - IOW they are part of how Excel formats your data. For sure when I pasted them into an html editor there is a whole bunch of junk there that has nothing to do with proper html.

The word import on CC removes almost all of it.

Source view can remove these, but as I said earlier, I do not see these on your displayed page. As if you already did this?

Can you elaborate on why the final page is OK? (As if you fixed it).

Edited 09/13/11 2:28 PM
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM - Response #2
Listofalumsattending_ver-h2_Web.xls

Yes, I was forced to manually edit the Word document that was created from the original Excel file, and that is why the page "Who's Coming !". However, this editing is a pain - it would be better to find how to correct the original Excel File so it cannot generate the "Bitmap" errors.

So I created a CC page "Who'sComingprevious" that is without any manual editing. You can see the word "Bitmap" above the spousename "Dick" on "Suzie Falk Ahlstrand" on classmate line 11, and aboe the clasmate "Gayle Fiala Saffer" on classmate line 13.

I would rather fix the original error in the original Excel spreadsheet, Listofalumsattending_ver-h2_Web.xls. The error seems to be in cells B18 and A20 of this Excel file. Createing HTML from this file shows a 1 by 1 transparent *.png file in cell B18 and 10 by 10 *.gif file in A20.

(Continued in next post)

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 at 11:16 AM - Response #3
Listofalumsattending_ver-h2_Web.doc

(Continuation from last post)

The Excel file was cut and paste into a new Word Document, "Listofalumsattending_ver-h2_Web.xls" - this is attached.

Now, without any corrective editing, this Word document was pasted into CC (using the CC "Post From Word" tool.
The page was named Who's Comingprevious, that you can view.
You can see the word Bitmap Above the spouse "Dick" and the word Bitmap above "Gayle Fiala Saffer".

The Quesion, is how do I remove these offending images from the original Excel file "Listofalumsattending_ver-h2_Web.xls", corrupted with images ?

Thanks for any Help.

Ed Reitan

Edited 09/14/11 11:17 AM
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 at 11:47 AM - Response #4

Hi Ed,

If you have non-text data in your excel sheet you need to get rid of, the simplest way I can think of is to save the sheet as CSV (comma-separated values) and reopen that. The file format only supports text content.

By the way, you can copy cells from a spreadsheet and paste them directly into the editor without also using Word.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 at 2:39 PM - Response #5

Hi Eric,

Your way of removing the offending images by converting the Excel file to CSV format is working!

Thank You for the solution. My idea of erasing a file cell and pasting new corrected test into the cell did not remove the offending image file that was in the cell.

Now, how do I change the order of the CC pages - it is listed at the top-left of each page. I want my "Who's Coming !" near the top of the page (above music, etc.)

Thanks again.

Ed Reitan

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 at 3:12 PM - Response #6

Ed,

Unfortunately, in the current version of our system, you can only change around the order of the gallery pages and/or survey pages you create, but cannot change the order of the default pages on the site or which types of pages appear where in the links list. We're including the option to re-order those links in the upcoming upgrade. In the meantime, all I can do is apologize and counsel patience. Smile

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 at 3:38 PM - Response #7

That was a clever solution by Eric - Simple and sweet.

ED REITAN wrote:

I want my "Who's Coming !" near the top of the page (above music, etc.)

You could temporarily make links at the very top of your page. The easiest is to create a table with a background color + contrasting text. You can also make an image that links (see our home page for some links I wanted to stand out).

They both essentially link to a page the same way. The link reference would be the same as referenced now http://www.westside61.com/class_custom4.cfm. You can remove the left link (by making it inactive) if that's desired.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.