ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

AddOnChat

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/21/08 03:34 PM Views: 1439 Replies: 5
Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Hello, to whomever can help me I would surely appreciate it. Recently I added the Java AddOnChat and some of my class members had a problem logging on do anyone know if there is a limit to the number of people that can be in the chat room at one time for the free version. If anyone can help, please.

Thanks Alot

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 4:01 PM - Response #1

Yes there is a limit. You are either hitting the limit, or the users are having problems with java on their computer. Most likely you're hitting the limit. Because real time chat maintains dedicated connections with the webserver, it is very expensive to operate. It's one of the rasons we can't embed it in Class Creator as a default feature without billing people. I think you can buy the program for $80 if you want to increase the # of people who can get on. For more information on the professional version click here and then click on Products. Then under the Professional Edition of AddOnChat click the Features link.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 5:23 PM - Response #2

I had a friend test it and she can't get in, so I added a tip about downloading Java... now all I'm getting is the source code rather than the application. Is it possible to have too much "stuff" on the page? It was working fine until I added the line about downloading Java.

And yes, for $80 you can increase the number of users, but it isn't a one-time fee, it's $80 annually.

Edited 08/21/08 5:24 PM
Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 5:36 PM - Response #3

Actually, I just took a closer look and it would cost $175 to accomodate 25 people at the same time - all the way up to $400 to accomodate 200 people at the same time. So the free version must allow only a few people at a time. Unless someone else knows, I'll try to find out more.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 5:43 PM - Response #4

Here's what the addonchat website says, but it's not very clear...

We place no limit on the amount of concurrent users that our Professional and Professional PLUS customers may have in their chat rooms. Due to the nature of moderated events, our Enterprise edition is offered in four separate versions ranging from 25 concurrent users to 200 concurrent users.

I guess they're saying if you subscribe to the $80 version you can have unlimited users, but if you're hosting moderated events, it costs more? I'm not sure.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 5:58 PM - Response #5

I can only suggest you ask them for specifics, as it's their application. Note, if you're seeing the code on your page, you probably need to cut it and paste it back into code view. I'm not surprised it's an annual $80 fee -- it's very expensive to run the kinds of servers that do this.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.