ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Multi site - linking to specific class site

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/14/11 05:35 PM Views: 1244 Replies: 8
Sunday, August 14, 2011 at 5:35 PM

the 2012-2013 school year marks the 50th birthday of my high school. I'm a current Root Admin for a few specific alumni classes (individual classes) but have just launched a site for the 1963-2013 graduating years. There are at least 5 alumni classes who have their own Classs Creator sites......instead of asking members of those sites to 'join' this "all class site' - is there any way to display the link for an entire class within the Classmate profiles tab. i.e, I'd like to create a profile in the name EFHS '73, and include the CC web address beside the name. Will a link 'work' if provided within the name line of a profile?.

Any suggestions on how to successfully manage such a large group is welcome.

Reply
Sunday, August 14, 2011 at 5:38 PM - Response #1

*the new multi site address for East Forsyth 1963-2013 is: www.classcreator.com/Kernersville-North-Carolina-East-Forsyth-1963-2013

I'll buy a shorter domain name once the "50th committtee' endorses this site during our kick off meeting on August 16.
As stated in my orig. email - I welcome any feedback/suggestions. I want to impress the 50th committee with how robust CC's 'template is......so send ideas my way

Thanks
Irma Comer
jcomer1@triad.rr.com

Reply
Sunday, August 14, 2011 at 9:24 PM - Response #2

We have a lot of classes that have their own CC site as well as others that are not. We have a page on the menu called Other Class Websites that has a set of links to those.

I just tried your idea of adding a link to a profile name. The person had not signed in yet and when I clicked on it I got the usual Invitation screen, if this is you, click here.

We also tried making a dummy profile for a class page. That could work as long as you don't add any other classmates under that year. You (admin) have to sign in on it to activate it, and the link to that class can be put in the profile question about Home Page.

There were problems with that page when people would try to write messages to it. Ended up taking them out.

Reply
Monday, August 15, 2011 at 6:29 AM - Response #3

Mary - thanks much for your reply. It motivated me to 'test' how I could achieve my goal........I like the result

I created a new member in the name Class of 1973. The name does include a reference to www.efhs1973.com, but I may edit the name and delete that -- as when I created a profile, I added the website addy for the '73 class.
Folks will then be able to open the Class of '73 profile -- then click on the link to the '73 website, and open up the Classmate names profile tab. I'm too happy to not have to type hundreds and hundreds of names into my new multi site

http://www.classcreator.com/Kernersville-North-Carolina-East-Forsyth-1963-2013/class_index.cfm

Reply
Monday, August 15, 2011 at 2:48 PM - Response #4

HI Gwyn......it wasn't so much I wanted to add links for other sites (I did create a link on the left that references all known alumni sites for my high school) I've just launched an ALL CLASS multi-site for my school (the school opened in 1962 and is about to celebrate 50 years) - and didn't want to have to type in thousands of names of alumni whose names are already listed on a separate CC site. So I opted to create profile names for some of the sites. i.e, for my '73 class - there's a profile entitled CLASS OF '73 ---and then a link to that specific CC site.

It's unknown if the All Class site I just launched yesterday will get a 'yes' vote by a new "50th committee' organized by the school. I'll be attending the 1st meeting tomorrow and wanted to get a Trial multi site launched in order to help 'sell' the school on the idea.

Reply
Monday, August 15, 2011 at 2:59 PM - Response #5

Irma, I understand not wanting to ask members of the individual class sites to join another site. Yet, I have found members of different class years want to be able to connect. Until CC comes out with a way they can do that between sites, I chose to add the classes. All you need is to ask the admin of the other sites for their class list, which can be downloaded from their site. Then you upload it to the alumni site and the class is added. I read you may be the other sites admin, so it is a few simple steps.

I have a few classes loaded on my site McHenry Alumni. Individuals are asking to join, which I see as a plus.

Right now, my goal is to get those with their heels dug in on Facebook to this site!

I do like your idea link idea but it doesn't work for me. I'd love to hear more about future happenings here on CC. Smile

Have a great week!

Reply
Edited 08/15/11 3:00 PM
Monday, August 15, 2011 at 3:02 PM - Response #6

Irma Comer wrote:

HI Gwyn......it wasn't so much I wanted to add links for other sites (I did create a link on the left that references all known alumni sites for my high school) I've just launched an ALL CLASS multi-site for my school (the school opened in 1962 and is about to celebrate 50 years) - and didn't want to have to type in thousands of names of alumni whose names are already listed on a separate CC site. So I opted to create profile names for some of the sites. i.e, for my '73 class - there's a profile entitled CLASS OF '73 ---and then a link to that specific CC site.

It's unknown if the All Class site I just launched yesterday will get a 'yes' vote by a new "50th committee' organized by the school. I'll be attending the 1st meeting tomorrow and wanted to get a Trial multi site launched in order to help 'sell' the school on the idea.

Oops, you replied to the post I removed quickly when I realized my error. My apologies.

Reply
Friday, November 11, 2011 at 4:32 PM - Response #7


Quote:

ask the admin of the other sites for their class list, which can be downloaded from their site. Then you upload it to the alumni site and the class is added.

Gwen, were the correct years automatically detected/assigned for each class list during the uploads into your multiyear site? I'm getting ready to do this and it isn't obvious how this happens since the single year sites do not "capture" the Graduation Year in the download file...

Thanks!

Terry

Reply
Friday, November 11, 2011 at 10:34 PM - Response #8

Terry Alers wrote:

ask the admin of the other sites for their class list, which can be downloaded from their site. Then you upload it to the alumni site and the class is added.

Quote:

Gwen, were the correct years automatically detected/assigned for each class list during the uploads into your multiyear site? I'm getting ready to do this and it isn't obvious how this happens since the single year sites do not "capture" the Graduation Year in the download file...

Thanks!

Terry

Hi Terry,

On your site, under Manage Classmates, click on Upload Class List. At the top of the next page you will see "Instructions for Batch Importing Class List" followed by a "Download Template" button. Open and view the template. Note, the last column is for the class year. You can load more than one class at a time with the correct year in the column for each person. I upload class lists on year at a time and simply copy the year in one step. This column is what separates your class years on your site.

(Single year sites do not have the need to add the year for each person.)

Any other questions, we are all here to help one another. Feel free to post your questions and one of us or a CC staff member will be around with a reply.

In case you are not aware that we have a site for us...
I hope you will join us in the future for a Site Admin chat. Until then, please feel free to join our Site Admin site at www.classcreator.com/chat.Smile

Reply
Edited 11/12/11 12:41 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.