ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Banner is cut off

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/21/08 10:59 AM Views: 2483 Replies: 18
Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 10:59 AM

The title banner on my reunion page is cut off so that after I save changes and review it the "Re" in "Reunion" is cut off. Any Ideas?

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 11:25 AM - Response #1

Think of your page as a puzzle. If you had a completed puzzle, and all of a sudden you took one of the pices in the middle of the puzzle and made it far larger than it should be, what it would do is push out all the other pieces of the puzzle around it out of alignment.

That's exactly what's happening on your site. Your 3 large images in a row near the top of the page are taking up more width than you have available on your page. So the rest of the page has to push out somewhere to try to accommodate this graphic. Based on the browser, all kinds of strange things can happen when you insert an image into a space too small to acommmodate it.

Simple solution: Just make all 3 of those imges smaller so they fit on your page. Or put one on a second line, beneath the top 2 images. Or put all 3 single file vertically on the page. Up to you. One way or another you have to not utilize more room on the page than you have.

One of the great strengths of Class Creator is you have direct access to the layout and source code on your page. Of course that means the page can also be easily "broken" in many ways. Fortunately because you have access to the layout and source code of the page, most problems are easily fixed.

Friday, August 22, 2008 at 5:41 PM - Response #2

Yup...I was going to contact you on this issue as well...I went to the Page I was having problem with, and even though it did not appear that my items were pushing the boundries, they were...I just deleted a few of the "spaces" all the down the page and Wa-La....

Thanks Brad

Derry

Friday, September 5, 2008 at 2:40 PM - Response #3

Seems like a LOT of US are having this problem with the spaces "blowing out." Mine has done it three times. All I did was change announcement and it went "wide" on me.

Friday, September 5, 2008 at 6:06 PM - Response #4

Every single time this happens, you or somebody else is putting something in your Announcements that is too big to fit in the space available. And when you do that, all 3 major browsers are going to behave differently when they try to squeeze in something that is wider than the space available.

Many "do it yourself" web site systems don't give people this type of control over layout and code like we do for reasons just like this -- it's easy to break if you're not careful about spacing. But, we'd rather teach people how to do this, teach them why it breaks when it happens, and teach them how to fix it, so they can have the kind of sites they really want to have, rather than place restrictions on this type of functionality.

When I finally get back to the Help Videos, which have been down for some time now, I'm going to cut one called "How to totally break your web site." And in that video I'm going to demonstrate all the things you shouldn't do inside of your editor. This will be a big help with people not breaking things in the first place.

Sunday, September 7, 2008 at 10:27 AM - Response #5

Help! My problem started this morning when I wanted
to replace a photo on the Home Page. I "lost" the
entire right side. I realized the right side could
only be accessed by scrolling all the way to the right of the page despite removing the photo and my
announcements.
What did I do and how can I fix it?

Sunday, September 7, 2008 at 11:02 AM - Response #6

You had a million hard spaces in a row that were blowing out your page. I removed them for you.

It's kind of an odd concept on the web, but if you hold down your space bar and put in a whole ton of spaces in a row, it's the same as holding down any other key, like this for example: ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt. If I do that long enough without a space, I give the system nowhere to wrap. That's exactly what all the hard spaces are doing. The system can't wrap so it just blows out your page.

Sunday, September 7, 2008 at 11:31 AM - Response #7

Thank you so much Brad. I realize I caused the
problem when I was trying to center a photo. I
appreciate your prompt reply & solution.
P.S. The Home Page "Upcoming Birthdays" is a great
addition to the site.

Sunday, September 7, 2008 at 11:58 AM - Response #8

Heh, cute cartoon. Smile

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 3:19 PM - Response #9

Can you tell me why everything from the playlist on is pushed down so far on my page? I've tried changing the playlist width from the original 450px to only 350 now. It doesn't make any difference. It's clearly not too wide for the space that I've got available. Both Chrome and Firefox have this problem. IE displays the page perfectly.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 3:30 PM - Response #10

Glenn, how cool to see another Buccaneer on here! And we're both in the middle of reunion planning. My class is getting started late, so we've got a lot of catching up to do. Anyway, the class of 1989 salutes you and all those who came before us!

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 3:48 PM - Response #11

There was an extra set of div tags in there. Not sure how those got above the Playlist code, but Firefox didn't seem to care for that too much. Chopped it out of there and it's fine now.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 4:24 PM - Response #12

I am getting it to were my announcments are starting to overlap the RH side boxes. It seems to be doing this on my work computer and not at home so is this a browser issue vs. scripting error? Then again it seems sometimes at work it is fine also. Confusion!!

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 4:46 PM - Response #13

Looks fine to me in all browsers. On your work computer what browser and browser version # are you using? Do you possibly have enlarged fonts turned on? Or browser magnification?

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 6:36 PM - Response #14

I will check tomorrow when I get back but you are totally correct on that. Right now it is perfect. Brad you are awesome at replying and Class Creator has been great to work with so far!!!!!

Sunday, August 23, 2009 at 4:02 AM - Response #15

What do you mean by a line? Is that one you get out of tools?

You still have to draw it? Does that mean the line will be ok even if one side accidentaly butt up to the next one or is that forgiven?

Sunday, August 23, 2009 at 5:22 AM - Response #16

By "line" I just meant to advance down 1 line. I.E. just press the Enter key.

Sunday, August 23, 2009 at 6:42 AM - Response #17

Brad, I don't know whether this is an issue or not. This morning I did some editing and changing home page and active announcements. I now note that after the right side of home page is complete, the remainder of the home page and all announcements are now filling all available space. It looks OK, but the difference makes me wonder if I have violated some space principle. Would you look and advise if you have a chance? Thanks! www.RockyRiver63.com - Larry Gilbert.

Sunday, August 23, 2009 at 1:19 PM - Response #18

Perfectly normal. After the right modules end text will naturally wrap under them.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.