ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Entering Classmates

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/27/11 06:57 PM Views: 1362 Replies: 10
Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Is there a way to open up the "join your site" function so I don't have to enter everyone's name or force them to ask me for approval before joining?

Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 10:34 PM - Response #1

The easy way to add everyone is to go to Manage Classmates, then Upload Classmates, then Download Template, and then put all of your classmates into the spreadsheet and upload them.

This is the only way to have classmates added unless you want to do it one at a time.

Monday, January 31, 2011 at 9:54 PM - Response #2

I have a multi year website (for two classes). Each class list is on a separate excel spreadsheet. I want to upload all the info into the system class list.

I know I can merge the two lists into one, but my question is...is there anything I have to do to get them to upload into the correct year? (I have the manage classmates function split into two years)

In other words, is there anything I have to add to the download template in order for the system to enter the names on the combined list into the correct class year list?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wayne

Monday, January 31, 2011 at 10:52 PM - Response #3

The Download template for Multiple class years has a YEAR column. If you fill in that field, it will automatically add the classmate to the correct year. Don't use the non-multiple-year template for a multiple-year website.

Monday, January 31, 2011 at 11:56 PM - Response #4

Ah..duhhh on me. Didn't even realize there was a multi year template. Sorry for the dumb question and thanks for such a quick response.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 12:36 PM - Response #5

Hi Kyle,
I am setting up a 100-year multi-year site with thousands of potential alumni. I have a few class lists uploaded but many are incomplete. Obviously I can't even set up an excel spreadsheet with all these names & I'm having trouble getting complete rosters from the different years. People now use Contact Us to sumbit their names individually & it's overwhelming.

Is there a way for alumni to be directed straight to the Details page without having to be on an existing Class list? I'm less concerned about sceening names than about people getting discouraged that they can't come in when their name's not on the list. Thanks!
Sharon

Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 12:40 PM - Response #6

For classes that are less concerned about screening names we have seen some upload a list for each year that is just a list of open spaces and they direct their users to use any of the open spaces. If they knew there were 75 people for one year they would upload a list for that year that contained a generic title such as Member 1, Member 2 or

Open Space 1
Open Space 2
Open Space 3

There has to be a record for them to click on - the record does not have to be their name but it does have to be unique so make sure to include a number for each listing to keep it unique.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 12:48 PM - Response #7

AHA! I knew you clever guys(& girls) would have a way!!! MANY thanks!
Sharon

Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 1:04 PM - Response #8

Follow-up questions: I used Wolf (year)1-100 to add blanks to each class (2011 & 2010 done as tests) After starting with Open Space, I used Wolf hoping to get the open spots at the end of the list so existing names will appear first, but that didn't work.

Is there a way to get existing names lists to appear at the beginning of the list rather than the end?

Also the phantom numbers appear in random order. Is there a way to get them to list sequentially?
Thanks again!
Sharon

Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM - Response #9

They aren't sorting RANDOMLY, but sorting as strings instead of numbers. Remember that the LAST NAME field is what it is sorted by.

The following numbers will sort this way:
etc.

If you want it sorted as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 then all of the numbers need to be the same length as follows:

In order to make the LAST NAME field sort to the last of your classmates, instead of saying FIRST NAME = "OPEN SPACE" and LASTNAME = "001", make the last name be "ZZ001" because there probably aren't any last names that start with "ZZ". Numbers always sort before letters, so if you have the LAST NAME field start with a letter, it will sort properly.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 2:42 PM - Response #10

OK - got it! Thanks!!!!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.