ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Excell not uploading

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/05/12 10:15 AM Views: 1193 Replies: 9
Monday, March 5, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Hi, I need to know what I am doing wrong or missing.
When I hit save as I get the message:
Alumnilist.csv may contain features that are not compatible with csv. Do you want to keep workbook in this format.
Since I can't seem to upload my classlist...I am wondering if this is the problem. I am not getting any other error messages. Have checked the document and all seems okay for the most part.
Please advise.

Monday, March 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM - Response #1

Hi Meg,

That message is Excel telling you that the file format you are saving to does not retain information that supports features in Excel, such as column width, formatting of the data in different cells based on what kind of data it is, and text styling. That is perfectly fine, because the the file needs to be plain text in order for the upload to work, and plaintext fies do not have all the information Excel uses to support the aforementioned features.

Tell Excel that you DO want to save the file in the format you have selected, and then the upload should work if the first row has the names of the columns and the columns are in the same order as in the template file.

Monday, March 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM - Response #2

Thank you for your response. I did so as you mentioned but still won't load. I do not get any error messages. I did the check documents and there is no indication of any problems. I left the fields as they were...so I am puzzled. I am missing something here!! UGH

Monday, March 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM - Response #3

If it doesn't give you an error message but still won't load, we may need to review exactly what steps you are taking. It wouldn't hurt to attach the file to your next response to this message.

Monday, March 5, 2012 at 3:30 PM - Response #4

Okay...I attached the list! Thank you so much for your help.

Edited 03/05/12 4:20 PM
Monday, March 5, 2012 at 3:48 PM - Response #5

Your file format is wrong. The headings of your file are this:
Name   Last Name    Maiden name   Email   Address 1   Address 2   City   State    Zip   Country   Telephone

It should be this:
First Name   Last Name   Married Name   Email   Address 1   Address 2   City   State   Zip   Country   Telephone

If you rename "Name" to be "First Name" and "Maiden name" to "Married Name", it looks like it should upload fine.
The heading names must match EXACTLY.

Monday, March 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM - Response #6

Oh okay...not sure how that happened but do remember losing the headings at one point so I must've wrote them wrong. Now, it won't let me open my version on the computer saying it is password protected...I didn't put a password...? How to open now? UGH...I am so sorry for all this stuff...I am usually okay but been a bit under the weather so affecting my thinking.

Monday, March 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM - Response #7

You should still be able to open up the one you attached in the forums.
Then let me know and I will delete it here (since the forums are PUBLIC and you might not want that information given to everyone)

Monday, March 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM - Response #8

Hi Kyle!! We are a go!!! Go ahead and delete that one I attached...Thank you so much...Now I just have to figure out what password is locking things up on the excel page.. I am keeping this one opened tho and on my desktop

Monday, March 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM - Response #9

OK, I deleted it.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.