ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Unprivatize Survey Pages

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/22/09 10:54 AM Views: 1133 Replies: 4
Tuesday, September 22, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Is there a way to unprivatize our survey pages? It looks like we would have that option to password-protect or not privatize them on our "Edit Site Pages" screen, by simply placing a checkmark or removing one in the "password" boxes next to the survey names. However, all survey pages seem to be automatically private. How can we unprivatize them if we so choose?

Thanks for your help ~
Sandie Smile

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 at 11:21 AM - Response #1

You can't. If we did that survey pages could be displayed to non logged in members. I realize you could password protect the page, but some people might not. Then a non member could fill out the entire survey, only to be told they cannot participate upon pressing the submit button. Or an actual site member may complete the survey in a non logged in state, and then have to log in after completing the survey before being able to submit the survey. It's just cleaner to make sure the member is logged in prior to submitting the survey.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 at 12:07 PM - Response #2

Hmmm, I guess I still wouldn't mind that, especially in one of my cases where unprivatizing it and allowing the public to view it is more important than their survey answers and their inconvenience of being notified to login after they answered a question or two.... Also, couldn't survey pages still default to being private, but allow the administrator the option to change it on the "Edit Site Pages" screen?

Anyway, just my thoughts... thanks for your consideration ~
Sandie Smile

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 at 12:44 PM - Response #3

But the problem here is that if an unknown person fills out the survey, there is no place in the database to STORE their answers to be associated with them. They have no profile ID to associate their answer with. Since they are in no way associated with the class, their survey data is meaningless.

One comment for Brad - what if the survey HAS NO QUESTIONS, could it be visible to the public unless the Edit Site Pages/Password check-box is checked?

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 at 9:02 PM - Response #4

No, that just starts convoluting the Survey Maker, giving it unpredictable behavior. I realize the motivation behind this is to add additional site pages, not survey pages, that are publicly visible, but the Survey Maker is more of a loophole than a solution. A real solution for additional pages is upcoming along with a variety of other tasks regarding pages and links at the same time.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.