ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Classmates Yearbook Pictures

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/01/13 10:30 PM Views: 2392 Replies: 6
Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 10:30 PM

What file format do classmates portraits (from old yearbook) need to be in so that they can be uploaded to profiles and for name tags?

Also, is there an easier/quicker way to scan 270 photos? (I'm thinking this is going to take a lot of time.)

Thank you!

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 10:56 PM - Response #1

Supported formats are jpg, gif, bmp, and tif.

Our yearbook had six photos to the page so after scanning I cropped and saved each one individually. That and the upload process were both tedious.

I did that over four years ago. Hopefully someone has come up with an easier way since then.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 11:58 PM - Response #2

A year ago I did the same thing with 400 classmates - scanned the yearbook pages and cropped and saved each one. Very time consuming but now it's done and I have used the photos for other purposes also. I designed my own name tags using Publisher and easily inserted the cropped photos.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 12:18 AM - Response #3

A tip when naming the individual classmate pictures...

Save them (make the file name) the same as you have them listed under Manage Classmates. It will help you upload them (one by one) much faster. I uploaded nearly 400 in one sitting.

I agree with FC and Doreen. It takes time, patience and focus. Yet when it is done, you will be glad you did it. It makes a difference!

Hope you are having fun building your site!

Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 12:26 AM - Response #4

A trick I used since I have others classes in our class website is to name the graphic file with the year they graduated, then last name and finally first name example 69lastnamefirstname. This will organize your classes and alphabetized your classmates.

George

Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 6:12 PM - Response #5

I took individual digital photos of each class mate. Over 435. Then used Windows8 edit program, saved under last name first name, a dropdown menu appears when you type the first initial. Click, open, done. I am now happy I have the individual photos on my hard drive. I can put them in emails, etc. Wasn't too bad, just a bit tedious.

Edited 05/02/13 6:12 PM
Friday, May 24, 2013 at 4:17 AM - Response #6

I scanned every page of our yearbook as my first step in the process and saved them to an external usb capable hard dive. Very casually over the course of about two weeks in the evening after work.
Then cropped and saved all classmate yearbook picture individually. Didn't set any time frame. Took about three months of stick to it persistence, evenings, as I had time, to accomplish.
After this, uploaded each classmate's yearbook senior picture to their page. Took about five months. It involved nearly six hundred pictures.
Finally. Loaded the rest of the yearbook scanned page pictures onto our class site for a rotating album. Took about two weeks.
Of course I didn't do all of this back to back. Took time off between each process. When undertaking any of these processes, nobody can say how long it will take you to finish each step. That is up to you but I can recommend not rushing it but sticking with it and treating it like a huge hobby project. Also check sometimes that your scanning came out properly and redo as necessary.
Once everything is scanned and saved, it feels so good to have those picture files to now use as needed. It makes things very convenient to have instant access to whichever ones you need. Stick to it and don't set any deadlines for finishing it and have fun with it, accept that it will be "a very long journey" as I called it, then it will be worth it. My only constructive criticism is that it would have taken far less time if CC enabled multiple classmate picture uploads instead, for example, of one senior picture at a time. That is what slowed down the project significantly.

Hope all this helps others. Good luck.

Edited 05/24/13 4:47 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.