ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Editable page for co-adminstrators?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 02/04/12 12:13 PM Views: 2029 Replies: 16
Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Can I create a document that I or any of my co-administrators can change, like a Wiki editme type page? Specifically, we want to keep a running record of attempted contacts of classmates without overlapping efforts.
Thank you.

Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM - Response #1

You could use Google Docs. Or you could create a custom page and then edit the page. Or you could use the ADMIN FORUMS and create a forum.

Any other ideas?

Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM - Response #2

I think you covered the options. I have problems with Google docs and seem to remain confused. I recommend a custom page. I think the photo gallery might work here?

Thanks for the idea, Lisa. We have been doing this record keeping manually thru email.

Margaret

Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 2:21 PM - Response #3

Kyle Erickson wrote:

You could use Google Docs. Or you could create a custom page and then edit the page. Or you could use the ADMIN FORUMS and create a forum.

Any other ideas?

Lisa, I will need to look at Wiki editme. Thanks for noting that. (Added after originally posting this reply: Wiki editme: Has a 30-day free trial. I'm not interested in subscriptions. I stopped reading when I read that. My next thought would be to look at privacy, as with any site online.)

Kyle and all...
I believe when the tool is there - Use it. Work through any glitches until you no longer can, then go to another source. That said,

Email the class has a record of all emails sent. However, I foresee it not being an easy reference tool. A spreadsheet specifically for this by classmate name with columns for 1st Contact, 2nd Contact and so on may work best. You may wish to split the columns into:

1. Date
  2. How (use abbreviations for: Email, Site email, Facebook, postal mail, phone)
  3. Admins initial

Now, I might like to have that!

Kyle is right in suggesting Google docs. That is the easiest, no cost way to work on a group project... unless someone has another suggestion. Smile

The ADMIN FORUMS on each site: I believe in using this tool. However, I do not believe this is the best way track contact efforts. Otherwise, I hope many are using this tool. It is also good to save text you've removed and may wish to use at a later date.

Good luck, Lisa. Let us know what you choose to do.

Edited 02/04/12 2:28 PM
Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 6:33 PM - Response #4

Before we got on Class Creator, we used Windows Live for an Excel Document that an authorized committee member could access and make changes to classmates data that we used for reunions. The changes could be tracked as well.
This may be a mirror of the Google Doc's method, but I am unfamiliar with it.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 3:21 PM - Response #5

Lisa,

My daughter was telling me how she is communicating and sharing info with the HOA she manages. When she mentioned a 'cloud' I might want to look into, I thought "I've seen that somewhere.' My apologies for not thinking of this earlier. It is DROPBOX. You can read about it on John C's site www.reunionwebcoach.com

If anyone else has experience with DROPBOX, I am very interested in what you have to share.

Thanks!

Edited 02/16/12 3:22 PM
Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 5:09 AM - Response #6

Is there a way to manage the admins, as we manage the classmates? We have a class of over 400, and as I am allowing the admins various capability, I don't want to overwhelm them or cause grief for the site. But making changes to the admins properties, requires scrolling thru pages and pages of classmates to find the admins (which are marked), (so I can see who has access to Forums, and who may not) but if there was a separate page just showing the admins. For example having been to Gwen's TAP on Admin Forums, I realized I am getting a lot of comments back from our survey (we asked for "any other comments or suggestions") and I want to respond, and others may want to as well, so I'm suggesting to the Admins that any time we do comment, to put a note in the Admin forum, so we know that someone DID respond - not precluding other comments, but also so the classmate doesn't get multiple repeated - or conflicting answers from Admins. I assume there is no way to CC (carbon copy - you all remember carbon paper, yes) Admins or anyone else, when writing a classmate? Did I cover enough in one posting ?? Wink

Edited 04/14/12 5:12 AM
Monday, April 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM - Response #7

Dick,

I set up a page for you at http://www.hhs63.com/class_gallery.cfm?gallery_id=22909 which has links to the Details management pages for all admins on your site.
If you add or remove admins, you can just edit the content on that page to reflect the change.

Monday, April 16, 2012 at 7:28 PM - Response #8

Thanks Eric - I saw that...I can see the ADMINS when I go to Edit site pages - that's the only place I see it - and that's OK, as it was a temp fix for me - appreciate it. I continued what I think maybe should have been this thread elsewhere on another post about Admin Forums. It was about trying to force the posting of info on the Admin Forums to generate notices to all the Admins...then they can decide if they want to keep subscribed to it or not...but I noticed that I was posting info there, and no one was responding...so I had to manually go in and email all the admins about it...which seemed silly

Sunday, April 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM - Response #9

Just getting back to this thread. I think my notifications are off.
What we have done primarily is use a Facebook Group page that all but one of the Committee members frequent. The missing person refuses to use FB. It allows you to create an editable doc. We have used that to keep track of sponsorship efforts. We also use the page to throw ideas around on. It's a good way to communicate.
As far as classmate searches, one other committee member and I use Dropbox to access an excel spreadsheet and Word docs. You do have to remember to save and close the files whenever changes are made or the other person may go in and edit while yours is open and then you get conflicts. It's not perfect.
Going back to FB, our class has a page on there also. Sometimes I'll throw a name and their photo out for our "Milk Carton Missing Person" of the week. I do better just searching the Internet search sites.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 at 2:14 AM - Response #10

Lisa,

You have a much bigger class than ours and a beautiful site!

What we do for classmates who have not joined is annotate any contact attempts in the Admin Notes for that classmate. The advantages of this approach are you have the attempted contact history right there on that classmate's profile page and any admin can update it. The disadvantage is you don't have a spreadsheet where all contact attempts are visible at a glance. Even if you use a spreadsheet, I'd still put the attempts in Admin Notes under the individual's name.

To access Admin Notes: Admin Functions/Edit Site Pages/Classmate Profiles/Edit Page/Edit Details for the specified classmate.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM - Response #11

I created a Admin Forum "50 by 50" for two of my co-admin to track and edit to the original message. They are not seeing an edit button to do that. This is what I have checked for them to do.
Admin Features (various features available throughout your site)       
Email Bouncebacks
Moderate User Forums
Moderate 50th Committee

Hope this is possible. Any other ideas if not?
We are hoping to find 50 new members by our 50th Reunion, October 2014.

Edited 08/08/13 6:25 PM
Thursday, August 8, 2013 at 9:45 PM - Response #12

Scott, I thought I missed something all these years. Admin Functions > Manage Classmates takes you to the list of classmates. I wondered what I had missed. Nothing. Oh well. Wink

Thursday, August 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM - Response #13

Excellent idea, Karen!

Friday, August 9, 2013 at 4:13 PM - Response #14

I created a Admin Forum "50 by 50" for two of my co-admin to track and edit to the original message. They are not seeing an edit button to do that. This is what I have checked for them to do.

So Gwen should it work that they go into my forum and update the table with the changes they made?
kk

Friday, August 9, 2013 at 10:22 PM - Response #15

Karen, I can not see your Admin Forums so I cannot see the table you speak of.

I believe you are wanting your admin to edit a table you made. I do not believe another admin can edit a post you made. I think this is something Marla and I recently discovered.

I realize you want to track the members you receive during the 50 by 50 blitz. Why not have a start # (either found or missing) and then simply do the math each week or day. Oh... that would be those who logged in only... not all found.

Okay, how about this...
Have the admin start a post in the Admin Forums and number 1-50 going down. Then as the admin finds classmates, s/he simply inserts the person's name behind the number. To make it interesting, s/he could date the entry, as well.

Hope this helps. Smile

Friday, August 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM - Response #16

And IF you have more than one admin working on this, let them make their own posts... just follow in numbers.

WAIT. IF the(se) admin(s) have access to EDIT PAGES, just copy your table over to a page, password protect it but do NOT make it active. This would accomplish the task they way you set out to do so.

Sorry, I'm watching my Chicago Bears take a beating by the Carolina Panthers. My attention should not be divided.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.