ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Make Survey link accessible when not active?

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 01/12/11 06:11 PM Views: 1414 Replies: 4
Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 6:11 PM

The Reunion Web Coach site (John Chidester) had a great idea for "What's New" by creating a survey with that title and then using it as a "What's New" page.

I did just that but really didn't want it to be a menu item on the left. When I disabled the survey so it wouldn't show, I could no longer access the "survey" page.

I was a bit surprised since in the Gallery I created pages that were not active, but I could link to them which is a very easy way to extend pages without creating menu items.

If the survey always uses the same link, this is probably not possible - meaning I have to keep it active. Not too big a deal, just asking. I'll revert to a gallery instead.

Is there a limit to the number of galleries I can make?

(ATM, home page is a WIP - since I'm still going to make a link graphic for "What's New" - so it's a big ugly right nowConfused)

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 8:43 PM - Response #1

This is a known issue and is supposed to be fixed when the new fly-out menus are released.

Currently, a survey has to be active to be seen and it also has to have a link on the left side of the page. With the fly-out menus, you will be able to have a survey be active, but have the link to the survey on another page.

Friday, January 14, 2011 at 12:22 AM - Response #2

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

I did just that but really didn't want it to be a menu item on the left. When I disabled the survey so it wouldn't show, I could no longer access the "survey" page....

Jack: Both Survey Maker and Gallery Creator can be used to create an unlimited number of content pages. There are three differences between the two tools when used in this way:

1. Survey Maker pages create links -- you can't avoid them unless you make the page not active (but then no one can view it, even if they have the link; Gallery Creator pages do not create links -- you can't make one (except if you make a Gallery "content page" active, it does create an 'image' in the main Gallery (which you don't want.)

2. Viewing of Survey Maker pages can be limited to registered, logged in members, Gallery Creator pages (when used as content) cannot be restricted. If you have the URL, you can view the page. Of course you could put a link to a Gallery content page only on a page that is already password limited -- but that's not quite as secure.

3. Content pages created with Survey Maker show up when you click on the "Edit Site Pages"; content pages made with Gallery Creator do not. You need to click directly on the Gallery Creator to edit those pages.

Technically a link to these Gallery content pages DOES show up when you make them "active", but the links show up as an image icon in your photo album page: CLICK HERE Not intuitive, but clicking on that picture will actually bring up the page. Incidentally you do need to make Gallery Creator content pages active for a few minutes in order to discover the true URL to the page -- by going to the Photo Album, clicking on the content page 'picture' and viewing the page.

All of these workarounds are due to become obsolete with the introduction of Class Creator 3.0 hopefully to be introduced in this first quarter of 2011.

I'm also in agreement with you, Jack... I want to be able to have a Survey that is active but doesn't create a link -- so that I can survey a specific set of class members by emailing them a link to the survey or posting a survey after they read a specific page on the site. This has been discussed here and Brad indicates it will be among the new features of 3.0.

I think we should expect that all the features of 3.0 are not going to be introduced in one big roll-out, but rather introduced at different times.

Friday, January 14, 2011 at 12:27 AM - Response #3

The major feature of ClassCreator 3.0 is the fly-out menus and that code is tangled and weaved throughout the whole product, touching almost every page. It is a massive overhaul and that part of the system will all have to be released at the same time so as to not break the system.

That is just "my take on things", and not a direct quote from the official programmers at ClassCreator.

Friday, January 14, 2011 at 5:40 AM - Response #4

John Chidester wrote:

2. Viewing of Survey Maker pages can be limited to registered, logged in members, Gallery Creator pages (when used as content) cannot be restricted. If you have the URL, you can view the page. Of course you could put a link to a Gallery content page only on a page that is already password limited -- but that's not quite as secure.

I was aware of all of that (by just experimenting) except the part about sub Gallery pages not being restricted. To me that's a BUG. Anyone ever considered it such? Or is that fixed in the new release?

The issue is that crawlers can technically detect the content, hence the links will show up in search engines. Don't know how likely that is, just that I find things all the time that are buried inside of sites. That presumes access to the site directory so maybe it's OK.

thks for the info

Edited 01/14/11 5:40 AM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.