ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Link to promote businesses

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/16/10 03:39 PM Views: 2518 Replies: 18
Friday, July 16, 2010 at 3:39 PM

I wish to set up a link on the left side of the home page for all the alumni to post their businesses and add any information they would like. I need your help and guidance to do this.

Thanks
Diane

Friday, July 16, 2010 at 3:55 PM - Response #1

I'd suggest you set up a thread in your Classmate Forums area dedicated to businesses owned/operated by class members -- and ask individuals to ONLY post their business information in that one thread. They can include URLs to their businesses, etc.

Then use an Announcement to promote these "Business Links" sending visitors directly to that thread in the Forums.

Otherwise, if you want to dedicate a page linked from the list of links, you'll be constantly updating that page with new information -- others won't be able to add their own information; you'll have to post it for them.

Maybe there are another solutions that other CC admins have tried.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 1:25 AM - Response #2

Hi John,
Thank you for your response. I have a link "Message Forums". I'm still not clear about how to go about setting this up properly. I'm still learning so bear with me. You said to set up a thread in the Classmate Forums. Is this the message forum you are speaking of? When I go in there, I just can't figure out how to do this. Can you walk me through the process? I want to do this right the first time as I already have several alumni who have sent me their business cards and info.
Thanks in advance,
DianeEmbarassed

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 9:27 AM - Response #3

1) Click Edit Site Pages
2) Click the Edit button next to NDHS Forum (at some point in the past you renamed the User Forums).
3) Follow directions on screen.

If you want to wait a week to do this, we have a really nice Help Video on this topic coming up most likely sometime this week.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 9:48 AM - Response #4

That's great Brad. I think I will wait for the video. I really want to get this right the first time and promote it on the homepage so that our Alumni can understand how to do it.
How many times must I say how great you guys are? You respond immediately to our requests and this is why you have the great following of schools.

Diane

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 2:14 PM - Response #5

Hi,

What exactly is "this" that the coming 'Help Video' will be about?

Will we be given notice when it does come out, and where will we find it?

I seemed to have missed any announcements of 'Help Videos' that are currently available. Is there a list of them somewhere and where they are located, or has this been incorporated into the FAQ?

Thanks

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 2:30 PM - Response #6

If you go to www.ClassCreator.com and click on Help Videos you'll see the 3 videos currently available. Scott is going to try to post 1 new video or so per week. We'll add any upcoming videos to the New Feature Announcements forum.

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 4:32 AM - Response #7

Kewl!!!!!Brad...I think hiring Scott..is one your greatest (besides thousands of others) you have brought in to CC.
Now...what about John ChiDester....are you gonna offer him a job too...and make him a great helper just like you did with Kyle??? ExclamationQuestionQuestionQuestionIdeaIdeaIdeaIdeaSmile
Kudos..to Brad & His Bunch!!!!! WinkCoolCool
I can't wait to be able to have the time to watch all the videos. I am going to for sure after our reunion next month.
Thanx for all the great stuff you all do!!!

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 9:14 AM - Response #8

Honest, Brad. Darlene and I have NEVER talked and I haven't paid her a cent. LOL

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 10:57 AM - Response #9

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure John.... Uh huh! There's obviously no conspiracy to get you in the door here! Speaking of which, I do like to hire people who actually come through the door. That way they have to put up with me in person all day long (not an easy task, just ask Scott, who handles it remarkably well anyway..). John in all seriousness, maybe you should start a Class Creator Coaching service. While there's many newer Admins that grab the bull by the horns and run with this stuff, there's plenty of others who need a hand in numerous ways. People's computer skills vary greatly of course. I can tell you that many a reunion committee or individual Admins in some cases would probably pay for help in various areas. Just a thought, but you could potentially offer a 1 on 1 coaching/teaching service that goes above and beyond the typical Support requirements we provide here. I have little doubt there's many Admins and Reunion Committees who would jump at such an offer from someone with your thorough understanding of the system.

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 11:13 AM - Response #10

Don't believe 'em..Brad..I was born and raised in ChiTown.....shady politics are standard procedure!! RazzLaughingLaughingI'll get some graft from John thru giving him a cushy patronage job!!! Twisted EvilTwisted EvilTwisted EvilRazzRazzLaughingRolling EyesRolling Eyes
Really...I think he would be a great consultant.
I'm an ole cust service rep..and IT Pro..use to run 2 mainframe puters at Zenith Corp..worked in JCL..tape Librarian.I've been in Data Processing as we called it back in the day..since 1965. I luved working with the programmers and System Analysts....I maintain my own puter at home..install my own programs..do all the maint. When I have a puter problem...I fix it myself..This is the first time hosting a website and writing some stuff in code...I feel we are not just Site Admins..we are Webmaster's in training. CC makes us look like Rock Stars!!! Been retired from IT for 20 yr. I luv my puter!!!!

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 12:01 PM - Response #11

Heh. Of course you're a Webmaster! Once you dive into code you're the real deal. I'm constantly amazed at the things people create here that I could have never expected.

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 3:24 PM - Response #12

Brad,
Well..I have gotten some code from other Site Admins...I just luv stealing...he he..I mean borrowing some of their stuff. It's great to have people who can find lots of content for the pages and share with all of us. I give them kudos on their stuff.I luv using a few websites to find my headings, Glitterfly is one. I just wish I could get the spacing thingy down pat..I hate when my stuff looks weird.
I just wish we could post videos from private people, like from their cell phones..camcorders, etc etc. I have a classmate who sent me the link to an awesome video, his daughter posted on FB of her grand father, 90+ yr young man..singing our school fight song...he was a little different than the one in the 60's..it's not UTube..so I can't figure out how to post it..without using a link.
When will we be able to post any video besides getting an acct with UTube and uploading it there to get the embedded code??? I know you guys have that on your task list.

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 3:55 PM - Response #13

You can upload videos to your File Vault right now and embed them on any page, although we're going to create an easier way for people to do it. If you have a video on your local computer you'd like to publish directly on your site, let me know what format the video is in and I'll tell you how to do it.

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 4:01 PM - Response #14

Brad Switzer wrote:

You can upload videos to your File Vault right now and embed them on any page, although we're going to create an easier way for people to do it. If you have a video on your local computer you'd like to publish directly on your site, let me know what format the video is in and I'll tell you how to do it.

I don't have the video of the Alumni singing..it's a link posted on FB. I told the son..who is a graduate of Austin..to have his daughter upload it to UTube...then I can put it on the website.
I am going to post videos from the reunion..I bought a little mini JVC camcorder in 1080 HD...then I can use the file Vault.

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 6:14 PM - Response #15

The same video that was posted on Facebook could also be posted to your site directly. The only thing you need is the original video file.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 at 6:29 PM - Response #16

Thanx...Brad..I will email him..and see if I get get her daughter to send it to me by email.

Friday, August 3, 2012 at 4:48 AM - Response #17

Ha! No wonder I missed this thread... it was just before I moved our site here! I know Brad is a busy person but sure do miss his posts. Brad, remember... you are welcome to any (and ALL) chats on TAP! Smile

Sunday, August 5, 2012 at 6:11 AM - Response #18

I agree with you Gwen. It's great when we hear from him.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.