ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

photos as view only instead of being downloadable.

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/02/11 06:07 PM Views: 1264 Replies: 1
Sunday, January 2, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Is there a way to set photos posted by members as for viewing only and not having the viewer be able to download the photos?

Sunday, January 2, 2011 at 7:19 PM - Response #1

No. Anybody with even basic computer skills can get an image if they want to even if we block right clicking. There's only one way to keep an image out of the hands of others, and that way is to not post it at all. There's a variety of ways to grab somebody's photo from a public web site including:

1) Right click on it and save it
2) Hit the print screen key and crop the resulting image in any graphics program
3) Simply open it up from your computer's browser cache
4) Print the page to PDF, load it into any image editing app, and crop just the image.
5) Print the image on paper, and scan it right back in
6) Use any screen capture program to nab the image, like jingproject.com.
7) Save the html page using the default save feature of your browser. The image will save too. Open up in any graphics app.

I could go on, that's just off the top of my head. The short answer is "no" though. Anybody who wants an image is going to get it no matter how you try to stop it.

Although I don't think this will apply here, in some situations it can be worth watermarking the image with an invisible watermark from digimarc.com. It won't stop somebody from nabbing your image, but it will prove ownership of the image. I.E. you could demand somebody stop using your image based on your ability to prove ownership from your watermark.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.