ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Wide space on home page before announcements

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/03/12 09:53 PM Views: 1425 Replies: 14
Thursday, May 3, 2012 at 9:53 PM

This happened once before and reducing the image widths solved the problem but not this time. What did I miss? Thanks for looking into it.

Friday, May 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM - Response #1

I think this is fixed.

Friday, May 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM - Response #2

Thanks Eric. It is. Have a good day!Very Happy

Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 9:46 PM - Response #3

This is odd. I had this problem when I built the first site. But to have it now? One minute, the page was normal. The next refresh on an announcement further down the home page... and the enter page is pushed down.

Help! I announced changes this afternoon. This is not good timing.

Please tell me what the problem is if you correct it. Thanks!

Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 10:19 PM - Response #4

Fixed

Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM - Response #5

HINT: when this happens, use POST ANNOUNCEMENT, then click VIEW for each announcement. The announcement that causes the home page content to display below the right-side modules is the problem announcement. Edit that announcement and change the width of any image that is too wide. Then view your home page again. Repeat process if problem still exists.

Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM - Response #6

Thank you, Kyle!!

Thanks for the hint, Kyle. But the page was fine and the announcement I edited just before this happened was not at the top. Strange.

Do you recall which announcement was the problem?

Again, thanks!!!

Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 11:50 PM - Response #7

All of the announcements move together. If one of them is too wide, all of the announcements will move down the screen and will cause the problem you experienced.

The announcement that caused the problem was the "Site Changes" and specifically the "Under Construction" image. I changed the width from 419 to 380 and it fixed the problem.

Monday, May 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM - Response #8

Thanks, Kyle. I was not aware of the fact that one announcement determines what happens with all of them. Now I understand. It is a good thing for all of us to know.

As always, I appreciate the info. Smile

Have a great week!

Monday, May 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM - Response #9

When you click the VIEW button, the home page refreshes with ONLY THAT ANNOUNCEMENT. So if the home page displays with the white space, you know that the announcement you are viewing is causing the problem.

Glad I could help.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 5:33 PM - Response #10

I am having the same problem. I have changed all images to 380 but still have the wide space at the top.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM - Response #11

Your 2nd announcement has two photos that are 390 width. That will work IF you don't use the bullet-points for your announcements, but you are using bullet-points

You should change the widths of these photos. Let me know if you need help.

Here is a hint to know which announcement is causing the problem. do the following:
click POST ANNOUNCEMENT link
Click VIEW next to the first announcement. your home page will display with ONLY THAT ANNOUNCEMENT.
If the page looks right, return to POST ANNOUNCEMENT and click VIEW for the next announcement.
If the contents appear below the right-side content, then that announcement needs adjustments. Edit it and make changes
Repeat if you still have problems.

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 6:39 AM - Response #12

Thanks Kyle...I had always used 420 as a pixel width and it worked fine.

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 6:44 AM - Response #13

Thanks Kyle...One more thing not related but why does Dc, DC repeat in my address in this forum?

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 10:17 AM - Response #14

Jerry,

It is taken from the TITLE of your website. The title of your website is "Archbishop Carroll High School Class Of 1962, Washington, Dc, DC"

When you first created your website, you selected the country as "USA", and the STATE as "District of Colombia", then the city as "Washington, Dc". So your school is found in "Washington, Dc, DC" because of this.

Your directory on the website (if you used the directory name instead of a domain name) is "Washington-Dc-DC-Archbishop-Carroll-1962"

If you do the Find School link, click on USA, District of Colombia, you would see two cities, "Washington" and "Washington, Dc"

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.