ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Annoucements and Pages seemingly activating themselves

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/07/15 12:12 PM Views: 1156 Replies: 15
Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 12:12 PM

There have been a few instances in the past several weeks where Announcements were activated, and subsequently triggered notifications. In addition an Event Planner page became active and exposed a Reunion Page currently under development on a few occasions in both cases, there was no obvious involvement on my part.
Do you have any sort of "Event Log" that tracks the more granular activities that an Admin can take a look at to look into see what might have happened?
In the case of the most recent notification from an activated Announcement happened this morning. The last edit that to that inactive announcement was back in March, so the "Notify # Classmates that this announcement has been updated" should not have kicked in in had it even been checked to do.
I am wondering if it might be due to the pretty typical delays that occur when you try to save something and maybe clicks or keystrokes get stored in a buffer and then fires off what's in the buffer when things catch up.

Edited 05/07/15 12:30 PM
Friday, May 8, 2015 at 12:15 PM - Response #1

The past two days an errant "New announcement" email was sent out from an expired announcement that had been tagged as Inactive. Luckily the link brings folks to the newest announcement, however this will quickly become a nuisance to classmates and dilutes the impact of intentional announcement notifications.
To hopefully reduce the change of something like this occurring again, I have deleted the suspect announcement as well as many others.
btw, when I inspected the "old" announcement it was checked Active again. I did not activate this.

Friday, May 8, 2015 at 4:41 PM - Response #2

Very Strange. I cannot duplicate this scenario. Anyone else out there experience this situation?

Friday, May 8, 2015 at 7:23 PM - Response #3

I have had both instances happen. An inactive announcement reannounces itself more than the other. Drive me crazy!!!

Friday, May 8, 2015 at 7:23 PM - Response #4

I have had both instances happen. An inactive announcement reannounces itself more than the other. Drive me crazy!!!

Friday, May 8, 2015 at 7:23 PM - Response #5

Friday, May 8, 2015 at 7:23 PM - Response #6

Friday, May 8, 2015 at 7:58 PM - Response #7

Just received 4, yes 4, of the exact same message from Therese. Maybe it's not a drive but more of a putt.

Why the redundancy??

Friday, May 8, 2015 at 10:22 PM - Response #8

I have not ever had this happen that I know of.

when you say "announcement" are you talking an email to the class, or the part of the homepage that is "announcements."
If you are doing additions or corrections to that page, is it possible the "send" option is already selected and you have to "deselect" it before you move onto other things.

Have you had the old announcement open at some time before that problem occurs? Or is this happening randomly?

Where do you usually work on your website (on PC, Mac or smart phone). Does the site work differently on this devices where you might accidental hit "send" or something.

Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 12:46 AM - Response #9
Annoucement view in IE 11.JPG

Glad I am not the only one.
I did check to make sure that the "Notify nnn Classmates that this announcement has been updated" was not enabled.
After this second recent occurrence I went through and deleted a good portion of the inactive announcements including the one that kept reactivating. Thjis evening I received a report that the current Announcement that I want to stick was gone. I checked
Firefox: Looked Good
Chrome: Appeared blank but the Announcement was down below and you had to scroll to see it. It was like there was a blank Announcement above or some off spacing that pushed it down.
IE 11: Experience similar to Chrome.

Actions: I deleted the rest of the Inactive Announcements, cleared caches on all browsers. Odd spacing by browser remains.
Might there be some sort of corrupted Zombie Announcement that just won't die?

Answers: I work this 98% on a PC usually with Firefox, some sometimes IE. I have tried to edit with Phone Browser on a few occasions but that it dicey at best.

We need to get this fixed

Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 12:47 AM - Response #10
Annoucement in Firefox.JPG

Home page in Firefox. Looks fine

Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 9:38 AM - Response #11

Your announcement was too wide, so I changed the table width so it would fit in the spacing that announcements must fit inside. It fixed the IE issue.

Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 11:46 AM - Response #12

Thanks much Kyle, I can confirm my Chrome browser is behaving now as well. The change you made in the Table width from 461 to 400 to fix this issue, is that a general design recommendation moving forward?

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 2:30 PM - Response #13

For anything in an announcement... 400 max width is a good target.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 3:11 PM - Response #14

Thanks Scott for confirming the 400 max width question.

A status update regarding the original reason for my post, there have been no new occurrences of the errant announcement email notifications being sent out since I deleted all other announcements. Just an added note which I failed to mention in my original posting, the same errant announcements notification occurred back in the beginning of March 2015.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 6:23 PM - Response #15

Okay. Thanks.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.