ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Can we Add a Link to a What's New Page Message?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/04/14 07:50 PM Views: 985 Replies: 13
Friday, April 4, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Smile The title says it all. Is there a capability to Add a Link to message posted to the What's New Page? Sure would be nice to be able to do that; especially by a Root Admin wanting to add a Interesting Subject to attention of the Classmates. Hence, using the What's New versus Home Page that does not often change.

Friday, April 4, 2014 at 9:33 PM - Response #1

This may seem obvious but can you give me a concrete example? You see something interesting on What's New, so you link to it from...your home page? An Announcement? Etc.?

Friday, April 4, 2014 at 9:50 PM - Response #2

Not sure what Derrell was trying to say but it would be nice to have some sort of notification globe or sphere to show new items in the what's new page. What do you think.

Friday, April 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM - Response #3

Thought about that (we actually had this in there for awhile). The thing is, the globe would be going off constantly. Most of the items are things you can already subscribe to anyway. In fact if both were active the same event could trigger two different notices (one for the items where it actually occurred, and another notice signifying a What's New page update).

Friday, April 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM - Response #4

My example today was a 91 year old gentleman passed away earlier this week. He had the one 'surviving' merchandise store in our little town that he opened in 1946, and still open. Likely every single classmate for MANY years bought their Buster Brown shoes from George's Department Store, and he remembers them all (well real close). I posted that to our Home Page and alerted all Classmates to George's death. Today, I decided to make What's New my default page, and wanted to link over to a Gallery of his Obit. Instead, I just advised it was on left menu. Also, the current HS football team won the state championship last year, and bought all their sports equipment from George. That HS team has already made a You Tube video commemorating George. Pretty darn cool that George is a Friend and acquaintance of all classes from the 50s through the 2013's. I just thought it would be nice as Administrator to Link some things on George for an Announcement on the What's New. As Class Creator announced today, the What's New could become the "most active" page in the software with up to date information virtually constantly. Also, I don't need to send Mass Email for this, just mark to 'let' all know about the page change.

He was a one of a kind striking person. Check it out on my left menu "George Salamy - Rest in Peace". You won't see many obits as 'life impacting' as this one on George. One classmate already commented, "If anyone can sell Jesus a pair of Nike's, it would be George". Very Happy

Brad Switzer wrote:

This may seem obvious but can you give me a concrete example? You see something interesting on What's New, so you link to it from...your home page? An Announcement? Etc.?

Edited 04/04/14 11:13 PM
Friday, April 4, 2014 at 11:01 PM - Response #5

I think I know what he's asking.

He wants to add a link IN a message posted to What's New to some other page. IOW he wants to link from THAT page to another page that has something of interest.

It's YES for CC Derrel since you can post html in what's new. Create the post in the editor, go to source mode and copy and paste. You can do tables, images, etc, just like any other page.

The only catch might be on FBCC since links there would have to be redone by the code CC puts in pages to modify links to https and your actual classcreator site name.

Easily solved by CC just putting the same code in place there. Great Idea

Derrell Pulis wrote:

Smile The title says it all. Is there a capability to Add a Link to message posted to the What's New Page? Sure would be nice to be able to do that; especially by a Root Admin wanting to add a Interesting Subject to attention of the Classmates. Hence, using the What's New versus Home Page that does not often change.

Edited 04/04/14 11:03 PM
Saturday, April 5, 2014 at 7:53 AM - Response #6

Does the "What's New" page only exist on class Connection?

Saturday, April 5, 2014 at 8:27 AM - Response #7

Neil Howard wrote:

Does the "What's New" page only exist on class Connection?

The What's New page is also available on your website. Go to Edit Site Pages and click on the Edit Link for What's New. Check the Active box to make it appear on your home page.

Saturday, April 5, 2014 at 9:52 AM - Response #8

Am I looking in the wrong place? I go to Edit Pages but do not see What's New.

Saturday, April 5, 2014 at 12:10 PM - Response #9

Not on my Edit Pages.

Saturday, April 5, 2014 at 3:36 PM - Response #10

Although too early to state definitively, yes the What's New page is likely to be the most read page on the site (by far in most cases). It will be fun to watch how this evolves. Several neat things upcoming as we get to them.

Saturday, April 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM - Response #11

What's New doesn't work with the classic (original) Profile format. What's New aggregates many items from the new Profile format (then photos, now photos, all of the various individual comment items etc.). With very little interaction happening on the classic Profiles it would have made for a very dry What's New page so the feature was omitted entirely. I apologize Camille -- I was remiss in not stating this for our classic profile users.

Camille Norton wrote:

Not on my Edit Pages.

Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 8:10 PM - Response #12

Brad, I may be missing something. One of my users posted a message using "What's New", and included (as plain text) a link to a google photos album:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/...
The https: "link" obviously ISN'T a link.

Two issues:
(1) I don't see how an ordinary user can add a link using "What's New" - there's no editor bar.

(2) When the email notification went out about the posting, clicking on the "more" link in the email sometimes goes to the profile page for the individual who created the post, and sometimes to a completely different classmate's profile. Both I and another user have seen this happen, and we both got sent to the same wrong user profile.

Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 8:36 PM - Response #13

What's New does have a post option, however, it also is a collection of things that have happened on the site such as items posted on a users profile. this user posted it on their profile and it also posted to What's New.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.