ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Classified Ads

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/12/12 12:04 PM Views: 1217 Replies: 6
Thursday, July 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM

We have some members who would like to post some of the things they make -- jewelry, etc. for sale on the website. Has anybody had any experience with this? Any ideas would be helpful.
Jim

Thursday, July 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM - Response #1

Hi Jim,

I am looking at a classmates' business page as a way to pay our alumni site subscription. This is another idea for that. I would allow a basic ad - maybe a choice of sizes and maybe some legalese as to the site and the site administrator(s) responsibility.

I know of two alumni who are always posting their creations on Facebook. Why not here?

Thursday, July 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM - Response #2

If the items are related to a special event sponsored by the particular class, I would agree to offer items that relate to that gathering or reunion. However, I think that "Classmates" is a unique type of web service and should not be commercialized. "Facebook" exist by way of sponsors and that gives that service a different environment. I don't use "Facebook" and the commercialization is one factor for me to avoid "Facebook". There are many other Web providers that are clearly designed for you to use for your products.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 at 2:59 PM - Response #3

We have enabled classmates to post a brief notice or copy of their business card for their product or service on former class websites with very strict moderation and limitations for the very reasons mentioned here. When we decided to sign up with Class Creator, we appreciated that things don't go way over board with advertising. Just our opinion. Others are welcome to theirs.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 at 6:21 PM - Response #4

Hi Papa,

Visiting other class sites, I have viewed pages where classmates' businesses are listed. An item made by a classmate is not the same as the intrusive ads on Facebook. It is no more than a business card or such. The two I mentioned above have their own sites. A link will be fine!

I've been tired of Facebook for a year, at least. Yet, here are the positives I've experienced:

• I can post something about the alumni site and have new members join that week.
  • I learned: of the death of a classmate last month; of the declining health of another alum; that an alum had lung surgery today but does not want her name mentioned anywhere.

This is info I may not have known if not on Facebook and connected to other alumni.

Back to the topic of a special page on a class or alumni site. It is one page without ads that hide cookies on your system. That is a major plus!

Thursday, July 12, 2012 at 6:22 PM - Response #5

Right, Gary. Simple posting of a business or service works. Thanks for the post.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM - Response #6

Sure Gwen. Trying to help, like you and everyone else.

Edited 07/12/12 9:20 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.