ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Problem with homepage in Firefox

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/16/10 07:36 AM Views: 2490 Replies: 11
Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Question for Brad or Kyle, I use IE, but have been told that items on the homepage have dropped way down on the page. All is OK in IE, but in Firefox and I understand Safari, also some items have been pushed way down to the bottom of the page. I have checked out and changed anything that is relatively new and can not find why things are pushed down the page. Can you help and find out the item that is doing this for me??

Thanks- Virginia

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 8:28 AM - Response #1

Virginia,

your PRIVACY NOTE announcement had a width of 412. I changed it to 390 and now it looks fine.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 9:02 AM - Response #2

Thanks Kyle, that's probably the last thing I would have thought was the culprit. You are a much better detective than I am!!!

Thanks again!! Virginia

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 7:17 PM - Response #3
Screen shot 2010-02-16 at 7.16.13 PM.png

FYI This is what your site looks like on a mac using Safari

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM - Response #4

Thanks, I guess it is back to the drawing board! Makes me wonder how long it has been like that since I do not have Safari.

Kyle - HELP!!!

Virginia

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 7:45 PM - Response #5

Kyle, someone from the forum sent me a screen shot of my homepage and what it looks like using Safari.
What could be causing this distortion?

Please see the attachment from Jamie at Lemon Bay in this thread.

Thanks, Virginia

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 8:40 PM - Response #6

One thing that could be the problem is you have a table there with the alignment set to center. CENTER alignment for a table means that text should wrap on both sides of the table.

I suggest Edit Site Pages, Edit Home Page, then right-click on all tables and change the alignment to NONE. We really don't want text flowing on any sides of any of our tables.

I don't have Safari, so I can't test this theory, but you can probably fix the issue then reply and someone (maybe Jamie at Lemon Bay) with Safari can test it for you.

Edited 02/16/10 8:40 PM
Thursday, February 18, 2010 at 7:44 AM - Response #7

Kyle, I took your suggestion about the tables to fix my homepage problem in Safari. I used an extra set of eyes (Jamie - Lemon Bay) to check it out for me.

Thanks again, Virginia

Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 8:37 AM - Response #8

Hi Kyle or Brad,

I have noticed a similar problem but am not sure how to go about fixing it.

I don't normally use Firefox and do evrything in IE, but today I took over from my son who was already using Firefox, and noticed that the Home Page, which looks perfect in IE, doesn't in Firefox.The name of the school appears halfway down the page in Firefox, overlaying other text. I know we've talked about these problems before, but would be grateful if you could assist and get it looking perfect in IE and Firefox. If you can't I'll just insist all my Classmates use IE only.
Thanks,
Mark

Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 9:04 AM - Response #9

Mark Foulsham wrote:

Hi Kyle or Brad,

I have noticed a similar problem but am not sure how to go about fixing it.

I don't normally use Firefox and do evrything in IE, but today I took over from my son who was already using Firefox, and noticed that the Home Page, which looks perfect in IE, doesn't in Firefox.The name of the school appears halfway down the page in Firefox, overlaying other text. I know we've talked about these problems before, but would be grateful if you could assist and get it looking perfect in IE and Firefox. If you can't I'll just insist all my Classmates use IE only.
Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

It looks to me that your "Your School Needs You" graphic is too wide. It is 430 pixels. In order to fit properly, it needs to be 420 or less. That might fix the problem.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 9:07 AM - Response #10

Your school name third party plugin and "Your School Needs You" plugin were both too large for the space in which they were inserted. Firefox doesn't like that. I fixed it, but for future reference you should make sure everything on your site adheres to the maximum size requirements posted here.

FYI would never suggest telling people to use one browser or another. It's just not realistic. Instead, it's important you make sure your site functions correctly in all major browsers, namely Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, and Google Chrome.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 1:06 PM - Response #11

Many thanks, Kyle and Brad. Seems to have done the trick.

Edited 03/18/10 1:06 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.