ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Enhance Viewing on smart phones

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 12/28/09 01:58 PM Views: 1482 Replies: 2
Monday, December 28, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I'm sure this is on the "Master To-Do" list, but just wondering how far down it is.

I'd like to be able to view my site on my iPhone. I can do that already, but the site isn't optimized for small screen viewing.

As I'm sure Brad knows, one of the things that HTML can read is the size of the viewing screen that the individual is using. This can be used to reformat the contents of the website and present it in a format that better fits that screen.

The Class Creator website reads fine on small screens. It's the 'frames-like' structure of the templates with the fixed-width top banner and the left column list of links that makes it fairly unfriendly on the iPhone screen.

An alternative might be to create a smaller top banner that matches the chosen 'template style' and use a drop down list for the links. (See how Google gMail handles the options as an example; if you need a picture of this, I'll send it to you.)

(Hopefully Apple and Adobe will make-up and we'll have a flash player for the iPhone somewhere down the road.)

Monday, December 28, 2009 at 4:28 PM - Response #1

Unfortunately it's not quite as easy as reading the screen size and then optimizing the html for it. Most class sites have all kinds of elements across multiple pages that simply won't fit (video players, Playlists, etc). Most phones display the html pretty well (baring things like Flash plugins like you mentioned) and you can scroll to the right to read everything. That's not very practical though I know. What most companies do of course is design a mobile version of their home page. We can and probably will at some point create a module that allows Admins to arrange their own mobile version of the site. That would come behind numerous other things slated this year though, such as some Facebook ties and other things that are pressing. Stay tuned though, mobile is of course of growing importance. I've entered many a forum response here on my HTC Touch Pro II smartphone.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 11:44 PM - Response #2

Another admin contacted me today after reading my original post. Seems a member of theirs was unable to enter text in the message (FCKeditor box) on the class Forums.

I tried it with my iPhone and, while i was able to enter the title for a Forum post; I couldn't get to the text box to enter text for the message. (The other user had a 'Droid'.)

Anyone else using a smart phone to enter messages in the Class Forums?

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.