ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Edit History

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/04/09 07:30 PM Views: 2300 Replies: 12
Wednesday, March 4, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Is it possilble to edit the the history page? There are some things I would like to enter about the year i graduated.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 at 7:38 PM - Response #1

We are developing a way to manage this page. You will be able to do the following when we are done.

- Deactivate existing videos
- Add new videos
- Change the order of the videos
- Turn on and off the default history content (all on or all off)
- Append to the history content (above or below)

Note: You will not be able to edit the default content - you can turn if off or add content above and below it.

Thursday, March 5, 2009 at 8:33 PM - Response #2

I want to be able to replace the content with my on history. Will I be able to that.

Thursday, March 5, 2009 at 9:29 PM - Response #3

You'll be able to turn off the default content, but you cannot edit the default content. The reason you can't edit it is because it pulls form thepeoplehistory.com. It is not our content.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 2:33 PM - Response #4

We used one of the "customizable pages" to create our own History page. I highlighted the history listed, deleted some of the things I didn't want on there, and reposted it. I then clicked off the active box. I then created another page with videos and such. I wonder if it is possible to create a column on the right, where I can post videos like it is on the History/Video page.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 3:00 PM - Response #5

Yes, you could make a two column table, and put your history facts in column 1, and your videos in column 2. Very easy to do that. That's precisely how the default page was arranged.

Here's the deal on the history though: You can't do that. You took copyrighted content from thepeoplehistory.com and didn't give them credit for it. Note the credit tag on the bottom of the default history page. You can't just give them credit and use the content either actually. You have to contact thepeoplehistory.com and get permission to use that content, which they won't give you without elaborate mechanisms in place to prevent that content from being indexed by search engines. That's what we did of course and we have a partnership with them to use their content in our system.

This same rule applies to any site of course. You can't copy and paste somebody else's content without permission. In fact thepeoplehistory actually has very elaborate monitoring set up to find sites that are using their content, and then they send out notices to the site owner regarding copyright violation. I completely understand that -- the owner of thepeoplehistory.com, Steve Pearson, spent years researching and making all of that content and you can understand why he wouldn't want people lifting it. When people lift it, then their own site may get found in search engines instead of the peoplehistory.com, reducing their traffic and making their business less viable.

Anyway that's the long-winded explanation, but the bottom line is I suggest you remove Steve's content. It directly violates our agreement with them, and it's in direct violation of their copyright... Sorry!

Edited 03/24/09 3:01 PM
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 4:36 PM - Response #6

Ooo..I hadn't really thought of it being a violation of copyright laws. Thank you very much for pointing that out. I will research the history, and write it myself, not copy and paste.

As for the two columns...excellent! Didn't even try that. Very nice. I like the templates and the freedom you offer with this site design.
Thanks for all your help!

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 6:03 PM - Response #7

Any time. Kind of a drag to have to rewrite stuff, I know, but hey. Smile

Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM - Response #8

Hi,

I am new, just 2 days into the site. I noticed that my 1967 history/video page has an NFL video. When clicked the video doesn't play. Instead, it states the video was pulled because of several copyright infringements.

I would like to replace the video or at best, turn it off. I do not see where to edit the history/video site.

Help?

-Mike

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM - Response #9

The video has been replaced with one that remains available (for now).

Friday, August 21, 2020 at 7:23 PM - Response #10

You mention that you can turn on and off the default content on the history page. Where do I find that capability? Thanks.

Friday, August 21, 2020 at 7:42 PM - Response #11

Admin Functions > Edit Site Pages > History/Videos > Edit Link

I'm assuming you are working the design right now. Your icon colors were white on a white background under the Header section. I made them gray so you can see them.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Friday, August 21, 2020 at 7:43 PM - Response #12

I think what Brad means by turning on and off the default content is to make the link active or inactive. To do this, under Edit Site Pages, click on Edit Link for the History/Videos page, then click or unclick the Active box.

Oops, Jessica --- my post is 1 minute after yours. I didn't see yours before I posted mine. Same answer!

Edited 08/21/20 7:45 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.