ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Verification of Email

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 08/17/08 06:25 PM Views: 1309 Replies: 2
Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 6:25 PM

I have noticied several people have made typos in entering their email addresses which has caused problems signing into the site again. Also, people are putting in bogus emails in order to get into it. Is there a way to put in a extra step when new people register. They enter their email address and password, Classcreator sends a confirmaiton to that email address in order for them to complete the registration process

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 8:29 PM - Response #1

There are pros and cons to this. The biggest con is that for some this is too much effort and they'll just choose not to sign up for the website.

I have had one person sign up and typo on their email address so they had to contact me to set it to the correct email so that's a pro for verification.

I'd rather not require a confirmation email though because I want the site to be as easy as possible to sign up for.

Instead, I'd rather have them enter their email and then re-enter it to confirm it. That way, they don't have to leave the site, bring up email, etc.

Also, add validation on the email field to make sure it is an email -- I've seen some email addresses entered such as:

jdstt -- where they left the @domain.name off
alicia@smith@yahoo.com -- where they probably typoed and mean '.' instead of '@' in the username part of the email address.

These kinds of typos are easily detected on the form.

Cheers,

Dave

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 9:36 PM - Response #2

1) Sending a confirmation email to the person's email address is worthless unfortunately. In two seconds anybody can go create a free hotmail or gmail account, use that address, authenticate the account from the confirmation email, and they're in. A much better solution is coming out in our new Preferences area, and you can read more about that on this thread.

2) We can add the double email address to be sure it matches, good idea.

3) We can add some more validation that email address syntax is correct. Adding it to list, thanks.

Edited 08/17/08 9:37 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.