ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Animated gif Logo - Not working?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/14/10 03:22 PM Views: 1533 Replies: 10
Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I created an animated gif logo for use on this website as the school logo. It works when viewed separately in my browser, but doesn't seem to work on the home page for boydenhighschool.com

You should see it in my icon of this message?

(<--Image copyright John Chidester)

Edited 07/14/10 3:25 PM
Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 4:11 PM - Response #1

Click this link for more linked info...
http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?messageid=E65D2FEF-FB17-075A-3224188B46FF02D8#E65D2FEF-FB17-075A-3224188B46FF02D8

1) Part 1: If you upload GIF animations to the system that are too large to fit on your web site, our system has to automatically resize them for you. Unfortunately when that happens only the first frame of the animation is preserved. Thus what you need to do is resize that animation to fit correctly so our system doesn't have to resize it for you. You need to resize it using software that preserves GIF animations. Use GIF Resizer, a free animated GIF resizer here to accomplish that (you can just size down in ImageReady, since it too preserves animated frames on the resize). How do you know the maximum width you can resize your animation down to? For that you want to read our forum post about Maximum Image and Object Sizes.

Part 2: Some browsers, such as Firefox, will bump images and objects down on the page if they're too big to fit where you're putting them. It's imortant that you read our Thread About Firefox and Objects Sizes so you can understand why this happens. Once you understand why this is happening, just refer to the thread I posted above to figure out what your maximum sizes are, and then size down accordingly.

I think that should cover it. Thanks again for asking this, it's very helpful especially for newer Admins here in laying out their pages.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 4:53 PM - Response #2

I read that thread through a couple of times. It doesn't tell me how big my logo can be and that is what the system is resizing. It is currently 140x140 pixels and 199KB in size.

I did see that images linked from another site aren't resized by CC -- but I don't see how the logo can be linked from another site -- I have to upload an image for the logo.

So what size do I reduce it to?

Edited 07/14/10 5:37 PM
Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 4:56 PM - Response #3

For Mac users, one can also use Apple's free "Preview" application to adjust the size (width) of gifs.

One of the benefits of ImageReady; however, is having the ability to tweak the timing between file frames. For example, if your recent "4th of July flag" looks like it is in a gale force wind, ImageReady would enable you to change the duration view from say .05 seconds to .2 seconds thus slowing the pace to a gently breeze.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 5:04 PM - Response #4

John, right click on your current logo that is not animating. You'll see our system resized it to 120 x 120. That's the exact size you also want to use when sizing down your animated gif with software that preserves animated frames.

Note you cannot link your logo to a third party source, the logo function is built in and becomes part of your design.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 5:17 PM - Response #5

Thanks Brad -- I did check the size with Explorer (Chrome doesn't report that). And used the Gif Resizer which worked -- however some of the animation leaves white spaces behind.

Went back to PhotoShop and fixed the size to 120x120 size.

Thanks for all the help Scott and Brad. I learn something new each day here.

Edited 07/14/10 5:44 PM
Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM - Response #6

Thanks again for the help. Photoshop made it easy to resize -- thought I was going to have to resize all 35 frames, but only had to to the original one.

<-- see results here. Animation loops about every 25 seconds.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 5:52 PM - Response #7

Fantastico. Smile

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 5:57 PM - Response #8

John Chidester wrote:

I created an animated gif logo for use on this website as the school logo. It works when viewed separately in my browser, but doesn't seem to work on the home page for boydenhighschool.com

You should see it in my icon of this message?

(<--Image copyright John Chidester)

John,

You've sure done a great job with that animation. When you get all done with that site, you're going to need to PATENT it and apply for a TRADEMARK too. Awesome! Very Creative. I guess you will be going to work for Brad pretty soon, huh?IdeaIdeaIdea I do in fact like what you've done with the entire HOME page. Your own class shall be envious if they ever find out!IdeaIdeaIdea

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 8:09 PM - Response #9

Nicely done John.

You are quite a "gif master." Let me know if you ever do any bartender specials. I could use a Margarita with glistening salt around the rim!

Bob

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 8:18 PM - Response #10

Thanks, Bob... That was actually the first animated gif I ever made using PhotoShop. I've been a PS user for many years, but never learned how to create these animations until today.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.