ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Photo Galleries Construction

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/05/10 01:28 PM Views: 2322 Replies: 12
Monday, April 5, 2010 at 1:28 PM

The questions are:
It appears that the maximum space provided in each gallery is 200mb (I tried to upload 42 Yearbook photos and it would only take about 30). So, if I want to enter photos from an entire yearbook (many mbs), do I just need to create whatever number of galleries that it takes to contain the photos?

Can I switch from one type of gallery to the other and back again without messing things up? For example: I have a Professional Gallery called "Breakthrough Gallery". Can I, without reentering the photos, change that gallery to one of the other 2 types and back again? Edd

Monday, April 5, 2010 at 1:41 PM - Response #1

Sure, you can change gallery types at any time, move galleries from one gallery navigational link to another, etc. There is no way to mess anything up, everything will move just fine.

When you ask about "Yearbook Photos" are you talking about the yearbook Photos that are entered under your Manage Classmates area? If so that area is included in your Membership, i.e. you can upload as many Yearbook Photos as you want without consuming space in your File Vault.

File Vault space is for additional files or photos you are uploading to the system, such as gallery photos. You still have 50 megs left, or about enough to upload another 1,000 photos or so (assuming your average photos is around 50k).

Edited 04/05/10 1:41 PM
Monday, April 5, 2010 at 6:18 PM - Response #2

My reference to Yearbook photos was not the individual "Senior" photos. I was refering to the group photos in the Yearbooks. These include people in classroom settings, people in school plays, the band, the choir, etc., and their are two Yearbooks that are each over an inch thick.

I tried to upload 42 photos to a gallery yesterday and it quit at about 30, so I began to think that the capacity of each gallery must be more limited than I originally believed, but if there is room for 1,000 photos, then something else stopped my upload.

Edited 04/05/10 6:30 PM
Monday, April 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM - Response #3

Oh I see, you're correct, those photos would go in your Gallery Creator or anywhere on your regular site pages.

Monday, April 5, 2010 at 6:32 PM - Response #4

Thanks, Brad. I am off to try again. Edd

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 12:47 AM - Response #5

Two things:

I have created two navigational links, and want to move one gallery (Breakthrough) to the other navigational link. How do I do that?

Secondly, I created two galleries under my "Mavericks 1961" navigational link. The "Breakthrough" gallery had about 26 photographs (maybe a bunch of mbs(?)). Then, I tried to upload 42 photos (group shots from the Yearbook) to the second gallery, and it would only take about 30. Apparently, I was getting too close to the 200 mb limit. So, my question is, is the limit of each gallery 200 mb; and does it make sense that the two galleries I entered under the Mavericks 1961 link, so closely approached the limit that it stopped uploading for that reason?

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 12:57 AM - Response #6

Edd Clark wrote:

Two things:

I have created two navigational links, and want to move one gallery (Breakthrough) to the other navigational link. How do I do that?

Secondly, I created two galleries under my "Mavericks 1961" navigational link. The "Breakthrough" gallery had about 26 photographs (maybe a bunch of mbs(?)). Then, I tried to upload 42 photos (group shots from the Yearbook) to the second gallery, and it would only take about 30. Apparently, I was getting too close to the 200 mb limit. So, my question is, is the limit of each gallery 200 mb; and does it make sense that the two galleries I entered under the Mavericks 1961 link, so closely approached the limit that it stopped uploading for that reason?

1) Click the Edit link next to your gallery. Then in the dropdown menu simply select a different navigational link you want to move the gallery under.

2) You have a 200 meg File Vault limit, but going over will never stop an upload process. I.E. you can go over 1 time -- we'll never interrupt what you're currently doing. The upload probably stopped for some other reason. Who knows what it might be, intermittent connectivity gap or something like that maybe. Try going back in and uploading the rest of the images again. Let me know if you have any problems.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 11:53 AM - Response #7

I am sorry to be so dense about this, but I am closer to understanding than I have been in the past, so let me ask if the following are correct regarding the galleries.

1)I can create any number of galleries, but no matter how many I personally create, combined they will only hold the 200mb that is the total capacity of my file vault?

2)Other classmates can also create galleries, and their combined capacity will also be 200mb?

3)My original plan was to copy a large number of group photos (band, choir, football team, etc.) from each of our very thick Yearbooks, and post them in two separate Photo Galleries. Frankly, I don't know how much space the photos will take up, but I would guess that it is quite a bit more than my available file vault will hold. So, I guess the question is, do you have any idea how I might otherwise include the photos in the website, or make this large number of photos otherwise available for viewing by the classmates?

Thank you for your patience with me on this. I think your responses will easily get me out of your hair. Edd

Edited 04/10/10 12:41 PM
Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 2:41 PM - Response #8

You can post a large number of photos on a site like slide.com and then link to it. The photos posted on a third party application will not count against your file vault total.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 3:32 PM - Response #9

True, you can do that or you can purchase more File Vault space for $3/mo. I wonder if we could hook up with some service and offer prints. If we did that we might be able to significantly increase or remove the photo space limitation completely. You can post pictures at places like slide.com for free, and of course they let you do that because they sell prints. That's how they make their money.

I'm not sure how many photos you're trying to post, but at a typical size of 50k per photo or so, you can post 4,000 photos in your 200 meg allotment. That's far more space than most people need, unless you've filled your File Vault with other non related large files.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 5:01 PM - Response #10

At last, the answer. Quite a while ago, I used one of the extra pages (I'll never remember the correct word for it) to create a "Nostalgia" page. Over time, I have uploaded quite a number of photos from the yearbooks, copies of old post cards, record album covers, etc. Long story short, I have used almost 150 megs of my file vault.

I have several items on the website that I created at Slide.com, but am not real comfortable storing a large number of photos of portions and complete copies of Yearbook pages there.

So, I will start by removing unnecessary and duplicate files from the file vault, then just see how close I can get, to completing the 1960 and 1961 Yearbook Photo Galleries. If I don't complete them, I will continually rotate photos in and out of the Nostalgia page. May be more fun anyway.

Too many thank yous to both of you. Edd

Edited 04/10/10 5:06 PM
Monday, October 3, 2011 at 7:55 PM - Response #11

I was just on slide.com and they are closing in 2012. Consequently they have disabled the ability to add any new galleries. Any other suggestions?

Monday, October 3, 2011 at 8:19 PM - Response #12

Wanda Faulkner wrote:

I was just on slide.com and they are closing in 2012. Consequently they have disabled the ability to add any new galleries. Any other suggestions?

There are some suggestions here, http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?threadid=EB8A81EC-ED6A-9252-C1BD0DAED9FE680D

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.