ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

"Free Sites"

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/19/17 10:56 AM Views: 609 Replies: 6
Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 10:56 AM

Hi folks!

I would like to see a version of a "free" site to see what advertising adds to it. For my Classmates, we are happy to pay for it, but I have mentioned this to my local SMALL TOWN historical society and most of them don't even do computers. However, one of our members has created MUCH interest on Facebook, but as we all know, there are some who feel that Facebook is the devil incarnate. We are small and can't afford the fee for Class Creator (I personally can handle the domain fee), but what would this look like?

I would drive computer literate people from the Facebook group to this site and join from there. We have MUCH in the way of pictures to upload. I doubt I would lock any of it down, but I never say never.

My reasoning for this is probably obvious, we MUST get younger people involved in the historical society or it all will die. I'm 64 and a baby. I am hoping something like this can help.

What say ye, friends? Has anyone done this and please point me to a page with ads on it.

Thanks,
Denise D.

Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 12:56 PM - Response #1

Hi Denise,
I've seen several Class Creator (CC) Historical Society sites but I don't recall what states and citys they were listed under. Using CC for what you have in mind would be very easy and cheap. Something you may want to consider is
grabbing a FREE Weebly or WIX site and upload your historical material there and link those pages to your CC site. That way you could use CCs page security for any pages you may want to lock down. Both Weebly and WIX have many different formats for displaying content and they link to CC very nicely. The Ads issue on a "Free" site can be somewhat distracting but if using CC as the launch platform to the content located on Weebly or WIX most of viewing would be done without ads. If page-level security is not a concern then just use Weebly, WIX or another free website for the entire project.

Edited 08/19/17 1:19 PM
Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 1:33 PM - Response #2

Some good thoughts. I just got a Wix ad in my Facebook feed this AM. Hmmmmmm. I don't feel the need to lock down, but I am sure members do not want their info "out there" just as we do it today on CC, town only. Funny how many jurisdictions we live in. If you are on Facebook, it's Medway Area (note area) Historical Society. All open and very nice. But we come from Medway, Crystal Lakes (still a Medway P.O.) New Carlisle, Enon and Fairborn, Ohio like me I'm nearly in Enon but have a Fairborn P.O. Google a map, we're all within a few minutes of each other.

I will piddle around, but wait until I get permission to proceed. (I could download and organize a bunch of pics in the meantime).

Thank you.

Monday, August 21, 2017 at 1:31 PM - Response #3

Take a look at vsr2720.com

Monday, August 21, 2017 at 2:34 PM - Response #4

Here are two sites with ads from our school:

Your text to link here...

Your text to link here...

Of course, if you have an ad blocker, like Google AdBlock, be sure to pause it so you can see the ads!

Monday, August 21, 2017 at 6:55 PM - Response #5

Thanks I just saw this. Looks OK!

Monday, August 21, 2017 at 6:55 PM - Response #6

Thanks I just saw this. Looks OK!

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.