ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Suggestions for Profiles Pages

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 08/16/08 06:32 PM Views: 1595 Replies: 13
Saturday, August 16, 2008 at 6:32 PM

As I was building our class's website, I started making a wishlist! I know Brad and team are working on a new release and perhaps my wishlist is already in the plans, but I'll list it anyway:

a. Allow for middle name
b. Modify template to allow this information to be uploaded
c. Allow for nickname. We have some classmates that were known solely by their nicknames. And, some weren't even close to their given names
d. Allow for birth year
e. When editing multiple classmates, after save changes, have the system go back to where the name was selected to avoid scrolling down each time to update the next entry.

Would also like to offer some suggestions on the "In Memory" Some are quite similar to "Profiles" so I list them here:

a. Allow full date versus just year
b. Modify template to allow this information to be uploaded (we had it in a spreadsheet already)
c. Teach the 'management' system to recognize the presence of a date as an indication to put the classmate in the "In Memory" category
d. When editing multiple classmates, after save changes, have the system go back to where the name was selected to avoid scrolling down each time to update the next entry.

To Brad: You and your team are doing an incredible job with Class Creator! Finding your site has saved me hundreds and hundreds of hours!

Ruth
Class of 1959
Frank L Ashley High School
Gastonia, NC

Edited 08/16/08 6:35 PM
Saturday, August 16, 2008 at 7:01 PM - Response #1

Wow! Thank you Ruth! Users like yourself is why Class Creator keeps getting better.

Some brief comments on your recommendations below:

Middle names and nick names: You can include these already by putting them in the first name field (i.e. put Brad "Computer Geek" in the first name field, and Switzer in the last name field).

Birth Year: We will add the year, no problem.

Jump points in list after saving: I'm thinking this is not possible but I'll check with the programmers. I've never known anything in code that would allow the last click location on the screen to be returned to.

Exact date of death: The only reason we ask for year is to categorize Classmates by year of death. If you want to include a specific date of death in your In Memory entries I would put it in your comments. Most people don't have exact dates -- in fact often people don't even know the year. If we showed the date of death on the page itself, the display results would be sporadic at best due to most people not having and/or not entering this information.

Batch import In Memory entries: Wow, that's a new one. Never heard that request before, and that's saying something. My gut feeling on this is it would be very hard to standardize. This is a sensitive area and people like to do things all kinds of different ways. It's one of the reasons we opted for a simple large Comments box, where the Administrator could enter exactly the information desired, and in the exact format desired.

Date to teach management system to add to In Memory: You'll have to elaborate on this one further. You'd have to have some sort of death date in the Profile itself, which would then trigger the entry to show up In Memory. Concerns there would be people might not realize that's about to go to that section, it may create a rather "cold" entry in the In Memory section, and it also opens up a can of worms, in that there would not be two entirely different ways to get people into the In Memory section. Not trying to shoot it down here -- just brainstorming. There's something to be said for keeping things simple. Usability is key in every part of the system.

Your suggestions are terrific, and much appreciated. Thank you!

Saturday, August 16, 2008 at 8:45 PM - Response #2

From Ruth Flinn:
Please see my comments inserted in your message...

Brad Switzer wrote:

Wow! Thank you Ruth! Users like yourself is why Class Creator keeps getting better.
Thanks for the kind words! You guys fire up my remaining brainstorming brain cells and give me energy!

Some brief comments on your recommendations below:

Middle names and nick names: You can include these already by putting them in the first name field (i.e. put Brad "Computer Geek" in the first name field, and Switzer in the last name field).
We think on the same lines! Prior to uploading, I had concatenated the First and Middle names to go in the First Name field.

It does work, however, it shows up in the Classmate Profiles listing that way. I was looking to maybe have a "fullname in school" field that would be in the Profile if entered. If I read it correctly, search engine 'bots' can essentially see everything but the e-mail address. I was thinking in terms of folks that might be doing some sort of genealogy research.

Birth Year: We will add the year, no problem.
Thanks!

Jump points in list after saving: I'm thinking this is not possible but I'll check with the programmers. I've never known anything in code that would allow the last click location on the screen to be returned to.
Off hand, I can't think of a particular one, however, I have used sites that somehow kept track of, I'm guessing, a bookmark on the page with the link to another page. If I come across another one soon, I'll send you a link.

Exact date of death: The only reason we ask for year is to categorize Classmates by year of death. If you want to include a specific date of death in your In Memory entries I would put it in your comments. Minds running in the same tunnel again! I did just that Most people don't have exact dates -- in fact often people don't even know the year. If we showed the date of death on the page itself, the display results would be sporadic at best due to most people not having and/or not entering this information.
Totally understand. We are of a generation before you and more of our class members have passed on. Of our 34 deceased members, we actually know the dates of all but 2 or 3. And, of course, now that the categorization work is done, it won't be so time consuming to keep it up!

Batch import In Memory entries: Wow, that's a new one. Never heard that request before, and that's saying something. My gut feeling on this is it would be very hard to standardize. This is a sensitive area and people like to do things all kinds of different ways. It's one of the reasons we opted for a simple large Comments box, where the Administrator could enter exactly the information desired, and in the exact format desired.
Whew! I had to go back and read my note to understand what I meant. I wasn't thinking of batch updating the "In Memory" entries but just having some trigger field in the upload of the classmate profiles that the system could be taught to recognize and set the flag to put the person in the "In Memory" section.

Date to teach management system to add to In Memory: You'll have to elaborate on this one further.
I was thinking of having a "date of passing" type field(s) with instructions to only fill in if classmate is deceased. And, based on your comment, if classmate is known to be deceased and date is unknown, enter "unknown" or "yes"

You'd have to have some sort of death date in the Profile itself, which would then trigger the entry to show up In Memory. Concerns there would be people might not realize that's about to go to that section, it may create a rather "cold" entry in the In Memory section, and it also opens up a can of worms, in that there would not be two entirely different ways to get people into the In Memory section. Not trying to shoot it down here -- just brainstorming.
Totally understand brainstorming! I love to do it with opened minded folks like you!
There's something to be said for keeping things simple. Usability is key in every part of the system.
And even moreso understand simplicity! I created a website for our 55+ community with the philosophy "You can build it but if it isn't simple, they won't come!" Remember, I'm a year older than you Mom! BTW, she's done a GRRReat job with her website! There aren't many of us from that generation that are really into the details of what it takes to make a system work!

Your suggestions are terrific, and much appreciated. Thank you!
And again a big thanks for hearing me out!

On another note, give the programmer who worked in the "Ctrl-B", "Ctrl-U" and "Ctrl-I" key recognition into the forum pages! I'm getting lazy in my old age and coming from the typewriter age, it's easier to hit the keys than move the mouse!

Thanks again for all the great work you guys are doing!!!
Ruth

Saturday, August 16, 2008 at 9:24 PM - Response #3

I love people who know what concatenating is. Smile

Full name used in school: I totally understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately I have to believe very few people would use a full name used in school field. It's too school specific. But -- have no fear. If we do the "Profile Generator" thing under discussion in another thread you'll actually be able to set this up precisely like you want it for your own school.

Jump points: I think we'd have to have some sort of anchor points in the code. I've never heard of a "last click point on the screen" jump point you can return back to. It's possible the systems you are referencing are doing something different than this. If you see any such system, by all means, let me know and let me check it out.

I'm relucantant at this point to create 2 ways to add In Memory entries. I meant in my post that there would "now" be two ways, not "not" two ways. Just a typo. People would really have to understand that their entry is going to immediately wind up in the In Memory area. Most people like to go in and say nice things about deceased Classmates, and I'm concerned if generic info just pops in there we'll have the "Hey Bob Smith is dead" effect -- i.e. the entry could read very cold. Just thinking out loud.

Most people on this board haven't figured out which Administrator my mom is yet. Smile

Saturday, August 16, 2008 at 10:36 PM - Response #4

Somehow, I learned 'concatenate' back in grade school! It made more since once I got into the programming world!

Yep, had seen notes on "Profile Creator" and think that's a FABULOUS idea! Makes the ol' brain cells turn again! Use the first and last name in the designated fields and have an "optional" 'yearbook' name field! Good thinking!

Read the "not / now" the way you intended! And, yes, totally understand typos! If I'm writing something to a company that is extrememly important, I have my "grammer / spelling police" husband, read it before I send it!

And "oops" Embarassed on my typo (error of omission)in the "give the programmer who worked in the "Ctrl-B", "Ctrl-U" and "Ctrl-I" key recognition into the forum pages!" phrase. I left out the "major kudos!"

Your logic on the "memory" page makes total sense! You're reminding me of my own philosophy on websites! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! With a class of 340, it was a 'pain' to scroll down to select the "In Memory" folks, however, I admit to being lazy and, it was a one time effort! Agree with your thinking!

Regarding
Quote:

"Most people on this board haven't figured out which Administrator my mom is yet."
I just have an inborn curiosity about so many things!!!

And, know, I've figured out what the "Quotes" icon means!!! You guys do good work! Were I 40 years younger, I'd apply for your next opening!!! i.e., LOVE the "Preview" button in BBC mode!Very Happy

Saturday, August 16, 2008 at 10:59 PM - Response #5

Heck I was about to hire ya right now. Wink

You know, my mom is the hardest working person I know. There's just no stopping you folks from classes in the 50s. People from "your time" are making some of the very best Class Creator sites out there. We have classes going all the way back to 1944. I'm constantly amazed at the sites people who never grew up with computers are turning out.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 at 11:57 PM - Response #6

That brings about another Suggestion... perhaps it should go in another topic:
Somewhere have an option on some page to see "all the schools from my year", or something like that.

Hope you don't mind all my posts!

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 12:04 AM - Response #7

I can believe that!!!

Our generation had a different type of thinking!

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 1:39 AM - Response #8

Ruth Alice Flinn wrote:

That brings about another Suggestion... perhaps it should go in another topic:
Somewhere have an option on some page to see "all the schools from my year", or something like that.

Hope you don't mind all my posts!

That option is currently burried somewhere deep within our "to do" list. But, it's coming.

Post away Ruth. That's what the forums are here for. Ya can't have too many ideas.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 8:35 PM - Response #9

Very nice discussion going on here. Great to hear the good ideas!

Friday, August 29, 2008 at 11:00 PM - Response #10

Jump Points: I believe that if instead of reloading the page in the browser fresh when the SAVE button is pressed, you save the information then "click" the BACK button it would be like a Jump Point. I know that when I click the BACK button, the page position is about where I was when I first clicked.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 1:35 PM - Response #11

I think I might quit. I understand a fraction of what you are talking about....Confused Bonita

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 4:56 PM - Response #12

A fraction is a start.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 5:07 PM - Response #13

Hahaha...guess you're right considering how little I knew before starting this thing. I learn alot from reading others questions and your answers,but that flew directly over my head...as you know, a techie, I am not.Rolling Eyes Unless, I get to concerns like that, no worries. You're the best. Smile Bonita PS. Again, thanks for the great new forums.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.