ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Comment boxes on profiles

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/26/15 04:06 PM Views: 955 Replies: 10
Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 4:06 PM

I posted this question in the ClassCreator Bugs forum, but haven't heard anything back, so I am posting it again in this forum in case it will get better attention.

I'm trying to understand the current process for making comments on classmate profiles. I've tried looking through various forum topics, but can't find an answer to this.

Why are comment boxes inserted after some, but not all, answers to profile questions? In my own profile, boxes that say "Add a comment" are inserted on 2 of 8 questions. This is confusing! For that matter, why are comment boxes inserted on these questions at all?

I'm noticing that our classmates are adding comments in the first box they encounter when they scroll through a profile, often the comment is not related to that question, i.e., some are posting "happy birthday" under questions such as "High points of your life since high school," or "School Story," when the "happy birthday" actually would make more sense if posted at the bottom of the profile.

I thought we should have an option to allow comments only at the bottom of profiles, but I can't find that choice when I look at my Profile Preferences.

What can I do to change this so that comment boxes don't appear randomly in our profiles? Or, how can I set this up so that comments are only at the bottom of the profiles? Is there somewhere else in the forums where I can find more information about how this is supposed to work?

Friday, February 27, 2015 at 11:53 AM - Response #1

On the task list for the programmer is a project to hide the comment boxes within the profile questions, down to a simple Comment link that will expand to the box only if clicked. This will be implemented in the profile questions only. As of right now the toggle to allow / not allow comments removes all comment boxes from the profile.

Friday, February 27, 2015 at 12:34 PM - Response #2

Right now, ALL bottom comments have been erroneously removed. All we want are bottom comments. IOW, no comments inside the profile.

IMO when comments are gathered on the bottom (a previous option mimicking prior behavior that apparently was accidentally removed?)it's a much cleaner look.

The "bottom only" comments option is now missing. The behavior was not the same thing as having comments everywhere in the profile.

Please restore this feature or have the programmer realize that he has co-mingled two Different options.

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

As of right now the toggle to allow / not allow comments removes all comment boxes from the profile.

Friday, February 27, 2015 at 2:01 PM - Response #3

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

On the task list for the programmer is a project to hide the comment boxes within the profile questions, down to a simple Comment link that will expand to the box only if clicked. This will be implemented in the profile questions only.

Looks like that's in place now, and appears under all profile generator questions with a box to add answer text. While it's not consistant with the comment options in other places, it appears to work as expected.

That does bring up a question though. I have a report that a comment under a profile generator answer is not reflected in What's New, does not notify the profile owner that a comment was added, and does not notify anyone who's subscribed to that profile. Is that by design, an oversight, or a bug?

Edited 02/27/15 3:13 PM
Friday, February 27, 2015 at 6:13 PM - Response #4

Scott, Thanks for this change, however it really doesn't do what we want. While it is better to see just the link and not the whole comment box, we really don't want to have ANY comment links or comment boxes within our profile questions.

What we want is to be able to have a place to post comments to each profile, at the bottom of the profile. This feature now exists, but if I understand what you're saying, the only way we can remove the comment links in the profile questions is to remove the bottom comment link too.

We would like to have the programming changed to give us the option to allow comments at the bottom of the profile, but not to have comments within the profile questions.

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

On the task list for the programmer is a project to hide the comment boxes within the profile questions, down to a simple Comment link that will expand to the box only if clicked. This will be implemented in the profile questions only. As of right now the toggle to allow / not allow comments removes all comment boxes from the profile.

Friday, February 27, 2015 at 8:04 PM - Response #5

Alice I think that this maybe was just fixed. We have only Bottom Comments, no comments on profile questions. The Bottom temporarily was removed (a bug), but now is back/fixed and we can add to the Bottom once again Wink

Under Preferences

Allow Classmates to make comments only at the bottom of Profiles.

Alice Doggett wrote:

What we want is to be able to have a place to post comments to each profile, at the bottom of the profile. This feature now exists, but if I understand what you're saying, the only way we can remove the comment links in the profile questions is to remove the bottom comment link too.

We would like to have the programming changed to give us the option to allow comments at the bottom of the profile, but not to have comments within the profile questions.

Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 4:17 PM - Response #6

After I posted Response #2 the option was turned on again. I imagine this is a one-at-a-time option that can be restored per site if you ask. Sort of like the prior Planner PayPal option Cool

Recommend you post as a new Topic. I think Alice got her Bottom Only option restored. That option got generated when some of us did not desire comments on profile questions since we thought as CC/Brad finally realized "cluttery nature of Profile Generator comments" (Brad's words not mine).

Bottom Only restores the clean/easy-to-use look Wink

DEBBIE SCHROEDER wrote:

I do not have that option. My only choices are all on or all off. How do you get the setting to allow only bottom comments? I sent an email asking about this the first day it changed.

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

Alice I think that this maybe was just fixed. We have only Bottom Comments, no comments on profile questions. The Bottom temporarily was removed (a bug), but now is back/fixed and we can add to the Bottom once again Wink

Under Preferences

Alice Doggett wrote:

Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 5:12 PM - Response #7

Thanks, Jack, however still not working for us. I looked at the options at the top of Manage Classmates and Preferences, and still don't see a "bottom comment only" option. We still have comment links inserted in all our profile questions. Where did you find the bottom-only option?

P.S. I was never notified about your Feb 27th reply, just saw it today ICW the subsequent entry from Debbie.

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

Under Preferences

Alice Doggett wrote:

Monday, March 9, 2015 at 12:36 PM - Response #8

Alice - this should be working for you now as well.

Monday, March 9, 2015 at 2:47 PM - Response #9

Thanks, Scott. Yes, I found the new preference and it does remove the link options that previously had been inserted into our profile questions. Thank you!

This change resulted in one instance that perhaps you can investigate for me. On March 7 one of our classmates posted a comment on Joanne French's profile. Then, on March 8 two other classmates added responses to the original comment. This is visible in our version of the What's New page (re-named Class Readerboard on our site). However, when I look at Joanne French's profile now, the original March 7 comment is there, but the two subsequent responses are missing. Can you explain that or tell me how to get the responses to appear in the profile like they do on the What's New page?

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

Alice - this should be working for you now as well.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 5:09 PM - Response #10

I’m still having issues with comments on profiles. Our class would prefer to not have comment links inserted in the profile questions and to have comments only at the bottom of the Profiles. I thought the preference to “Allow Classmates to make comments only at the bottom of Profiles” would do what we want.

However, when I set the preference to “Allow Classmates to make comments only at the bottom of Profiles,” the links to comments in the profile questions were removed, but this also removed the “POST A COMMENT on (classmate name)’s Profile” box. Obviously, we need to have the POST A COMMENT box there so that classmates can post new comments. Without the box, our classmates were posting comments by responding to someone else’s recent comment because they couldn’t find anywhere else to make a new comment. Also, Recent Comments were shown at the high level only, i.e., any nested comments under a previous comment were not visible (however, they did show up on the What’s New page). This resulted in a lot of confusion.

So, I changed the preference to “Allow Classmates to make comments on Profile items.” This restored the POST A COMMENT box at the bottom of the Profile and restored the visibility of any nested comments, but it also put the links to comments back in the Profile questions.

Is this how the process is supposed to work?

How can I set up our site so that the links to comments are removed from the Profile questions and the POST A COMMENT box shows up at the bottom of the Profiles?

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.