ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Year book

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/23/08 07:41 PM Views: 1738 Replies: 13
Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 7:41 PM

I have seen on several site the yearbook and your can turn the pages and see all the classmates. How do you do that? Now I have to find a copy of the year book that doesn't have senior pictures written on. That may take a few weeks, but I really like the idea. It show a large picture of the cover and then you can open it and see all the seniors. But the picture are about 3 x 4 or there abouts. How is that done? I am not real computer smart.

Thanks for your help.
Connie

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 7:47 PM - Response #1

You are looking for the issuu plugin. A link to issuu and full instructions for embedding third party objects on your site are located in our FAQs section:

1) Click on the FAQs link in our navigation bar at the top of this page.
2) Click on Questions About Building Your Site
3) Read Question #15

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 7:47 PM - Response #2

Ask at the school library or the journalism department to get a good copy of your yearbook.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 8:30 PM - Response #3

I am in the same shape as Connie, not computer savvy at all.

Obviously, the yearbook needs to be digitized, how does one go about that in order to proceed with Issuu? The 83PHS.com site with the yearbook is old enough their yearbook would have had to be converted how did they do that? I have tried locally and on-line for months to find a way to have our yearbook digitized with no luck. One site will do it but you have to order 20 DVDs minimum at $35 - 40 per DVD, they will not digitize for less than that number. Any suggestions?

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 8:52 PM - Response #4

Here's some options for you:

1) Get a decent scanner and a copy of Adobe Photoshop and learn to do it yourself.

2) Post an item in the forums here and see if somebody would like to do it for you for a fee.

3) I know a source who will digitize most yearbooks for $500. Let me know if you want me to connect you.

4) Post your yearbook digitization project on www.elance.com. I strongly recommend this option, as you'll get many bids from qualified contractors. Just be careful not to pick something super low. Somebody who bids $100 or something like that may do a less than professional job. Something around the $300 range will probably get you pretty good results.

5) Take your yearbook to Kinkos or a copy house like that. It'll look great, but this is going to cost you more than any other option.

Edited 11/23/08 9:33 PM
Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 10:58 PM - Response #5

I concur with Brad's recommendaton to get a scanner (which you can get at Best Buy for under 100 dollars--they can scan up to 9600 dpi (for negatives), but you usually will be only scanning at 200 dpi (much faster and cheaper)), so don't pay for a scanner with high resolution. You can also get an "all-in-one" printer/copier/scanner for about 120-150 dollars, but I like having different devices, so if one breaks down, I'm still functional.

As for Adobe Photoshop--start with Adobe Photoshop ELEMENTS--you can get this for under 100--it's incredibly powerful, and will be able to do just about anything you need to do for your web site.

If you're going to be involved with reunions, scanning in your yearbook will be so useful, from name tags to newsletters, to web sites...I scanned mine in 10 years ago (senior portraits)--it took a long time for 400 classmates, but once done, it's great to have them.

Good Luck,
Jim

Monday, November 24, 2008 at 1:28 AM - Response #6

(June) Mary Pulford wrote:

I am in the same shape as Connie, not computer savvy at all.

Obviously, the yearbook needs to be digitized, how does one go about that in order to proceed with Issuu? The 83PHS.com site with the yearbook is old enough their yearbook would have had to be converted how did they do that? I have tried locally and on-line for months to find a way to have our yearbook digitized with no luck. One site will do it but you have to order 20 DVDs minimum at $35 - 40 per DVD, they will not digitize for less than that number. Any suggestions?

Unless you were really mean to the geeks in your class, you might get one of them to volunteer to do the scans. Oh, wait, we weren't Geeks back then, or even Nerds, I think Egg Head was the description. Most of us still drive old cars and dress funny, but have nice computer equipment...

Monday, November 24, 2008 at 8:51 AM - Response #7

My wife and I had our yearbook scanned and up and running at Issuu in 4 hours start to finish. We opted to scan 95 pages of activities, sports, staff, etc. and left out the individual photos. If anyone wants to see photos of their classmates they can go to classmate profiles and click on the names. Did not see much merit in including freshman, sophomores and juniors.

I would like to add a name to Bill's list: My wife and I were able to do the job that fast because we are propeller heads (remember the beanie cap with a propeller on top?).

I agree with Bill - find a propeller head to help you...

Monday, November 24, 2008 at 7:34 PM - Response #8

This question has plagued me for months. Although I did scan some yearbook pictures using my Lexmark, I finally realized the other day that at school they had a scanner that scanned quickly. In about 2 hours I scanned a 170 page yearbook onto my thumbdrive. Probably if you check with classmates you can find someone who's business, school, or church has a scanner that would work.

I downloaded a free PDF editor to merge my files and then ended up paying the 19.99 because I didn't want to miss out and anything. (CNET I think was where I found it.)

So far so good. I have added pictures from my Lexmark, deleted doubles and am about to finish merging my files.

The pictures look fine, however the text is a little poor, but it's been 40 years so it may just look that way.

The pages were a little bigger than the scan but I didn't lose anything that mattered. I scanned at 75 because that was the only choice other than 150. So there you are.

We'll see how it looked after I send it to be formatted back into a yearbook. K

Monday, November 24, 2008 at 8:51 PM - Response #9

Quote:

The pictures look fine, however the text is a little poor, but it's been 40 years so it may just look that way.

We scanned at 24 bit 300bpi - dramatically improves on image and text quality however the trade off is slower = longer scanning times.

Edited 11/24/08 8:51 PM
Monday, November 24, 2008 at 8:59 PM - Response #10

Charles Webb wrote:

Quote:

We scanned at 24 bit 300bpi - dramatically improves on image and text quality however the trade off is slower = longer scanning times.

I also found that 300 DPI gave me the best compromise of quality and scan time. Also, scan black and white photos as color, then convert to grayscale for best results. After the scan I aligned the image if it was not on the scanner straight, then reduced the image to 30% to get back close to original size in the yearbook. Any touch up work should be done before reducing.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 7:05 PM - Response #11

Question...Are you uploading your files to IISSU? Or doing something else? I thought I was doing what I had to do to upload the file (once all my stuff is merged and edited).

Frankly, if it looked like crud I'll be sad, but at least I didn't spend too much time on it that I can't redo it. I can't afford to pay to have it done and I don't want to buy a program...I can barely figure out the simple stuff.

Very Happy K

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 7:47 PM - Response #12

The pages have to be converted to .pdf format to upload to Issuu. Since I have a multi-year site, I scanned the seniors for the years my site covers. Then I uploaded them to Print Master as a scrapbook, so I could get all the pages for that particular year to pdf in one file. Then I saved as a pdf. Uploaded the pdf to Issuu, and it worked great.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 9:28 PM - Response #13

Ta Dah!!! I got my yearbook on the webpage. I made a mistake of leaving out a page and I have at least 2 repeated pages. But...

Please check out my site for me and see if you have any suggestions. Thanks KVery HappyExclamationWinkExclamationLaughing

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.