ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Sort of Strange Question

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/10/09 04:20 PM Views: 1425 Replies: 4
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Hi Brad and others. I got an email yesterday sent via the website that I couldn't identify. By this, I mean it was obviously a registered user but I didn't recognize the email addy, nor could I tell what it was. It wasn't a notification. The main issue, though, is not knowing the addy. Is there an easy way to find out who is attached to a given addy?

I literally have no clue who sent this! As always, thx.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 6:39 PM - Response #1

Is your Profile restricted, or non restricted. I'm going to assume non restricted, because had it been restricted, you would only be able to receive emails from site members, and all emails from site members state who the sender is of course.

If your Profile is non restricted, then you can receive emails from your Profile page from the outside. While many people enjoy being able to receive outside emails, it does create the ability for somebody to enter a fake name, fake email address, or something else (For instance in the name field somebody could just type in a period, or some other symbol or something like that).

Bottom line, if you allow outside emails, then you get exactly that -- anyone from the outside can email you, and they could say they are anybody they want... If you don't want this, simply restricted your Profile to logged in fellow Classmtes only, and no more outside mails will be able to come in.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 7:49 PM - Response #2

Thanks Brad. I didn't realize that, but I don't mind getting those. They're uncommon and always legit.

But I do think this person is registered at the site. The email was sort of familiar-sounding and was a legit carrier email (not like yahoo) so I just wondered if there was a way to plug in the addy or search for it in my "manage classmate".

There's been some emails circulating about a recent death and this was about that - he just didn't sign his name.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 9:02 PM - Response #3

You can get a list of e-mails being used by your classmates by Manage Classmates, and EXPORT your class list by choosing DOWNLOAD CLASSMATES. The spreadsheet that gets created will have a column for E-mail. You can then search for the e-mail address or partial e-mail address. You could also SORT the e-mail column and compare the e-mails that way, too.

If you decide to SORT the e-mail column, remember that in order to sort, you can't have any JOINED rows. So if you have any IN MEMORY classmates or GUEST classmates, delete the joined row that is a different color and you will be able to SORT the data in the spreadsheet.

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 2:25 PM - Response #4

Aah! That's what I was looking for. Now I'm embarrassed I didn't figure it out myself.

Many thanks.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.