ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Multi-year question

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 01/12/09 09:56 AM Views: 1719 Replies: 6
Monday, January 12, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Hi Brad & team,
My class 98 has really been using the site and love it... now the class of 99 is using it and got their domain name. We'd love to use the multi-year option, but have it point to the profiles created in our individual sites. (so classmates don't need to make an entry in both places)
Have you thought about this? Is it possible? Currently I think we're going to block profiles being shown on the multi-site and have links pointing to the individual class years.

www.wildelakealumni.com
www.wildelake98.com
www.wildelake99.com

Edited 01/12/09 3:11 PM
Monday, January 12, 2009 at 6:01 PM - Response #1

Hi Beth,

We have several alumni sites that link off to individual class sites for the profiles and reunions. We have enhancements coming this year for multi-year sites including Teacher profiles that appear as a separate link on multiple school years (managed from a single profile for the teacher) and the ability to have more than one reunion listed on the multi-site at a time. In the mean time having one alumni site that links off to the other individual site has been the best solution.

Edited 01/12/09 10:12 PM
Monday, January 12, 2009 at 9:42 PM - Response #2

Yes, it sounds like it's the best solution for you, unless you want to switch to multi mode and then have one of your two classes recreate their Profiles.

Note, multi sites will actually have a Teacher Profiles feature, where "Teacher Profiles" will actually be the link on the left, just like your Classmates Profiles page works now. Teachers won't actually be added in the Guests area -- they'll have their own designated area. You can turn off Teacher Profiles when it launches if you don't want to use it. But if you do, the only way to have it is to move to multi mode.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 at 4:18 PM - Response #3

I have inactivated my Classmate Profiles for my multi-year site (www.wildelakealumni.com).

I can still see the links to create a profile on the left... and those profiles are still visible if you click on a link to them in the "Where they Live" box.

The main reason I want to deactivate the profiles is so my classmates don't feel the need to create a profile in both places, on the 1998 site and on the alumni site. I DO want the details section, to maintain contact info. We'll be manually syncing with the 1998 site too.

This isn't a big problem and it might take some thought before it's clear how to proceed, I just wanted to put it out there.

Edited 01/15/09 5:47 PM
Thursday, January 15, 2009 at 9:55 PM - Response #4

I don't see the link on the left. Maybe your page was cached. In any case, it's not there.

Can't you deactivate the Where They Live box? On an alumni association site you'd typically not display that box. The site is usually just a gateway to the actual sites, where the Classmate Profiles would be kept. It's at the site level you'd be displaying the Where They Live box, etc. It seems to me if you deactivate that box you're all set.

I'm assuming you're only showing the box there because you want to show where everyone has gone for all of the classes combined? Yes? Let me know -- if that's the case we could probably NOT deactivate the link on the resulting pages from the Classmate Names into the Profile area. That way nobody would be able to get in and join the alumni site.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 at 11:34 PM - Response #5

Thanks Brad.. I was actually talking about the links, once your logged in, for someone to add their info to their theoretical profile (that isn't being shown).

I don't think anyone will add information there -- hopefully not many will create profiles in both places (98 site and alumni site) because it's not necessary. We DO want "Missing Classmates" to join and give us their contact info -- so we have that page active, but not the whole profiles page.

I think you mentioned we might be able to link sites for our school so logins for 1 site become guest members on another site? That would be great for us.

Thanks so much with all your help today! I'm coming at ya from all angles.... Smile

Edited 01/15/09 11:36 PM
Friday, January 16, 2009 at 12:04 AM - Response #6

Typically on an alumni site you'd deactivate the login box so nobody could actually log into the alumni site. Typically the Missing Classmate, when finding your alumni site, would click to go to their own year, and then contact the Admin from there. But what the heck is typical, anyway? Smile

Yes, the "Guest Pass System" is coming. Although Admins will have to opt into it if they want other classes from the same school perusing their sites. But yes, for single year sites tied together by an alumni site, the Guest Pass system will provide access so Classmates can bounce around from year to year on the various sites.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.