Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Problem uploading pdf file

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/09/14 01:15 PM Views: 1560 Replies: 11
Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Why am I getting this error message when trying to upload a pdf file:
('CFX_ImageCR Exception', "Access violation at address 580017F7
in module 'EffImg350j.dll'. Read of address 00000018")
If I convert the pdf to a jpg image, then I don't have a problem, but then the links in the jpg image are not clickable.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM - Response #1

It sounds like you may be using the photos section to upload a document. That will not work.

The File Vault is divided into two sections. One is for pictures the other for documents. To upload a pdf file you must be in the documents section. This is accessed via the globe on the edit box. Does this solve your problem?

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 4:46 PM - Response #2

Be sure that you are creating the pdf document correctly and that it is not actually another format, and just named with a pdf extension. Then see this...

Uploading a non image document to the File Vault...

To upload a non image documents to the File Vault, locate any page that has an Editor Window, such as by going to Edit Site Pages > Edit Page next to Homepage.

1. What I typically do first is decide on where my link will be and what my link phrase will say. Type the link phrase into the editor window and use your cursor to highlight the phrase.

2. On the Editor Window, look for the icon in the second row of buttons that is about 2/3 to the right that looks like a globe with a chain link, this is the Insert / Edit Link button. Click this button and a small window will appear. Click the Browse button and locate your file on your machine. Once selected, press the Open / Select button and then you will need to click the Upload button to the right. The window should close, leaving your link phrase blue and underlined. This means that it is linked, however to test the link you must save the page and go to the actual page of the site to click the link.

If you are creating the link on a page of your site, you should be done at this point. However, if you are creating the link in an email, there is one more step.

3. For links in email, you need to modify the link slightly. Highlight the link phrase and click the Insert Link button again. When the Link window opens, locate the form field for URL. It will have a link path that looks similar to this: /000/0/2/8/8820/userfiles/file/NameOfYourDocFile.doc (note the doc type will depend on what you are linking to.). At the beginning of this URL link path, you need to add your domain name. The final URL needs to look like this: http://www.yourDomainName.com/000/0/2/8/...ameOfYourDocFile.doc

4. To test the link, send yourself a test message from the system and click the link. You should be prompted to download / or save / or open your document depending on your browser.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 4:58 PM - Response #3

Step 3 described above by Scott is no longer required when you send a message containing the link via "Email The Class." The system automatically adds your domain name. This change was made some time ago and I'm glad it was. Simplified things a lot.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 5:17 PM - Response #4

I've done the steps provided by Scott Mastenbrook, but it only inserts a link to my pdf file on my page. I want the actual pdf file to be displayed. Still need help please...

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 7:49 PM - Response #5

By the way, the page editor that's displayed for me does not have a globe with a chain through it to insert a link. It only has the chain, and I can easily insert a link. It there an advanced editor that I should be using so the globe is displayed around the chain?

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 8:09 PM - Response #6
Link.jpg

A pdf file cannot be displayed you can only link to it.

Sorry I misled you re the globe. That was the icon for the link in the previous editor. As you stated it is just a chain now. You're using the proper editor.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 8:15 PM - Response #7

Well, boo! It displays uploaded pictures, it should display uploaded pdf files! Topic for website improvement...
Thanks for responding anyway F C.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 8:26 PM - Response #8

You may want to try ISSUU. It's a site to which you can upload pdf files and then embed a link to them on your site. The link shows a reduced size interactive image of your file that is not always too useable but just clicking on it will get you to the ISSUU site where it can be easily viewed. See this In Memory entry on my site.

Edited 04/09/14 8:32 PM
Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 9:18 PM - Response #9

It's really a function of the browser. That said you CAN display PDF file automatically for newer browsers with the right plug in.

Here's a LINK giving more explanations and showing how it works (what do you see?).

You can also use an iframe (vs embed) to show a pdf. That happened by 'accident' on FBCC on some site and actually looks better there than on CC.

Cindy Canaday wrote:

Well, boo! It displays uploaded pictures, it should display uploaded pdf files! Topic for website improvement...
Thanks for responding anyway F C.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 9:37 PM - Response #10

Uploading to ISSUU did display my pdf file externally with a link on my page, and the links on the pdf were clickable (my main goal), but the display window was not ideal or user-friendly.
Good to know it's out there though.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 9:44 PM - Response #11

Thank you Jack. I'll check into this.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.