ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Military Tribute

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/23/15 12:34 PM Views: 1178 Replies: 20
Monday, March 23, 2015 at 12:34 PM

I have set up a Military Tribute page. Is there a way to have the Military Service from Classmates Profile link to my Military Tribute so it lists the Classmates names and service? Thank you for your assistance.

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 1:53 PM - Response #1

no way that I know of. I think it must be done with copy from their profile and paste to your custom page.

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 2:09 PM - Response #2

I'm not sure if this is what you're thinking about but here's one way we've come up with to handle it (click link below); It's still in development .... not quite ready for prime time ... we'll role it out prior to Memorial Day this year ... feedback/suggestions are always welcome ...

http://www.woodwardclassof65.com/class_admin_pages_form.cfm?page_id=366552&rr=57104

Mark Woodward '65

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 2:45 PM - Response #3

Mark. I Tried to view your link but it requires admin privileges.

Edited 03/23/15 2:46 PM
Monday, March 23, 2015 at 2:58 PM - Response #4
VETERANS TRIBUTE.pdf

Attached is a pdf of what our TRIBUTE page looks like. We have to update it manually however.

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 3:08 PM - Response #5

One thing that you can do to probably achieve what you want is to go to Manage Classmates and Download an Excel file with names and make sure that Military Service is checked. You will then have an Excel file with the names, Military Service and any other attribute that you would like to see. Once you have he file like you want with the information that you desire, you can copy and paste that data to hour Military Tribute page by Editing Site Pages.
Hope that's what you might want. It would be quicker that copying and pasting the individual Military Service information.

God luck!

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 3:23 PM - Response #6

Tom,

Sorry about that ... it was "inactive" ... I've since activated it and since the page is not limited to classmates I would think you could view it now. Mark

http://www.woodwardclassof65.com/class_admin_pages_form.cfm?page_id=366552&rr=57104

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 4:03 PM - Response #7

I just noticed something else ... If you hover the mouse over the flag next to each name, the branch of service appears. somehow, we downloaded that info from the profiles and were able to attach it to the flag gif.

I tried to cut/paste the html for an entry here but it just showed up as the name. If you look at the source for the page, you'll see where the "title" for the flag.gif is the branch of service as entered in each profile.

I'm thinking that since the branch of service data is already in the source, I should be able to find a way to include it next to the name.

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 4:12 PM - Response #8

Mark, that link still thinks I need to be a admin, but it you're talking about the veteran's page in your left site menu LINK that's impressive.

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 4:40 PM - Response #9

John. Thank you. Yes, that's the page I was trying to provide the link to. I have no idea why it thinks anyone needs to be admin ... but then each day there are so many more things I find I have no idea about ... Thanks, again.

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 4:59 PM - Response #10

Mark...I just checked out your Thank you Veterans and it is "Fantastic". How did you get the name and flag to that page? I did a copy and paste but black space marks show up. Thank you for sharing your page...what a tribute!!

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 5:01 PM - Response #11

Thanks Steve....I'll give that a try Smile

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 5:02 PM - Response #12

Thanks Tom...I'm hoping mine will look as good.

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 5:33 PM - Response #13

Judy,

Thank you for your comments.

If I recall correctly, there was a lot of editing ...

I started in "Classmate Profiles"... clicking on the "Military Service" button to bring up a list of those classmates who entered military service in their profiles.

Copy/pasted that into a Word document - hyperlinks to individual profiles came with the copy/paste.

Manually deleted all "objects" except the flag.gif

Went into "Edit Site Pages" ... Copy/pasted the table from the Word doc back into the tribute page ... more editing on the width & centering & just figuring out how to make it look ok ...

then, just today, based on this thread, went back into the source (Edit Site Pages) & manually added the military branch to the names (easy to do since the data were already part of the HTML code as the title for the flag.gif

The pictures were all done manually in Powerpoint - then saved to a jpg ... which will be the basis for a "banner" presentation/tribute to veterans at our 50th in October.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions as I'm pulling most of the above from my foggy memory banks.

Thanks, again for your comments.

Mark

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 8:12 PM - Response #14

Nice work !

Flag hover shows service without being an admin for your site.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 7:48 AM - Response #15

I have found that if you go into Classmate Profiles and select only the Military Service button, you get a list of those who have indicators for Military Service. If you then click show Yearbook Photo, you get a nice display with the yearbook picture. If you right click the page, you can even see the source code. What I don't know is how to get this display of Veterans to appear in a new page that I want to create from the home page. Anyone have a suggestion? I think this is a wonderful idea to commemorate Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Thanks, Camille

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 11:06 AM - Response #16

Hey Mark,
I ended up doing it a little different. I had two tabs open, one was the classmate profile and Military Tribute edit page. Did a copy paste of each Service members name (and it allows you to click on the name and then it will redirect you to classmate profile) then did a copy paste of the flag (and the hover over flag worked!!)
Thanks for all your help.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 4:10 PM - Response #17

Judy,

Nice work... your comment spurred me on to yet another attempt ... I was successfully able to copy/paste the pictures of the Service Members to the tribute page... a lot easier than my Powerpoint solution ... and easier to update as we find others who may have served. Thanks for the ideas.
Mark

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 7:00 PM - Response #18

Looks good Mark....guess what I'm doing tonight?? Lol

Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 8:43 PM - Response #19

I found html code designed to redirect to another URL after a specified delay (in seconds). I used the code and simply set the delay to zero. In general, the steps to follow are:

1. Navigate to Classmate Profiles, select military service, and show yearbook photos.

2. The URL that now resides in the browser address frame is where you want to redirect to. Copy that whole link and save the text somewhere.

3. Edit Site Pages > Add A New Page > View Source Code

4. Paste this code in as the source code

5. Paste the URL you saved where you see the text "past-your-saved-url-to-military-profiles here"

Now when you click on the link to the Military Service page with this source code, this page will redirect to the profiles page showing those who have indicated military service.

Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 10:37 PM - Response #20

Brent,

After step 4, you needed to put the actual html in a code box... This is what showed up in my notify email but it appears to be missing some things:

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.