ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

File Vault - see files NOT being used

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/31/16 10:34 AM Views: 1807 Replies: 7
Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 10:34 AM

I really hope this hasn't been asked before, I searched but didn't find anything about this.

I am wanting to clean my file vault but haven't done so in a long time and honestly can't remember which photos are currently being used and which aren't. Is there a way to see where each photo is being used on my site? For example, click on a photo in the vault and it shows me the page it is being used on (or not)?

Hope this makes sense. I just want to avoid deleting something being used.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 11:05 AM - Response #1

There is nothing right now that cross-references images in the file vault with those used on pages.

Has crossed my mind a few times to make a program to at least give a list of images used on pages Twisted Evil

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 11:06 AM - Response #2

Thanks for the answer! Yes, a program would be nice. Smile

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 3:01 PM - Response #3

On each page on which you have a photo, right click on the photo, then click Inspect (Chrome browser) or Inspect Element (Edge browser). This will display the file name of the photo in the file vault. You can then make a list of the file names, then compare it to the file names in the file vault. An exhaustive process, but it will let you know which photos in the vault are on your pages.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 3:22 PM - Response #4

If one wanted to do it manually, here's a very fast way to compile a list without having to click on each photo. This is for Firefox (not sure of other browser options)

1. Click on the leftmost icon right before the URL that says "Show Site Information" when you hover over it. (shows an i )

2. Click on right side and then "More Information"

3. Click Media - all the files used on the page are displayed by link name

4. Either Ctrl+A to select all or manually select all that you know are from the file vault.

Just look for the userfiles or images folder name in the links. They are all grouped one after the other so it's pretty easy to select the ones you want using Shift+Down Arrow to grab them all.

5. Copy all selected Ctrl+C and paste into Notepad.

Edit the list to remove anything you got by accident.

Repeat per page. You'd have to check for dups (in case you used same image multiple times. You now have ALL the images used.

A program makes it a tad easier for review since a program can make two lists. One for images and one for userfiles Plus it can sort the order.

Friday, September 2, 2016 at 10:22 AM - Response #5

Thank you! I don't mind if it's exhaustive at least it will get the job done! Smile

Thank you both so much for the help!

Edited 09/02/16 10:22 AM
Monday, November 21, 2016 at 11:42 PM - Response #6

OK, I made a program that will search your site and give a list of all the images used. Has to be format. I'll make a new post and a link to DEMO and DOCS

Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 5:50 PM - Response #7

I filed this away to use "later" and today's the day. I copied the code:

(

Image-Xref appears here