ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Understanding Percentages

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/29/09 09:16 PM Views: 1292 Replies: 3
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Brad and Team, again I could say enough about Class Creator and what it has done for us, I am a little behind my goals but that has nothing to do with you at CC.

I have a multi-year site and it is received well by all classes. I am in search of the 3000+ who attended or grew up during that time frame of the first ten years of our High School existence.

When I look at the bottom I see the box of 'ACTIVE VIKINGS' it reflects an Active Percentage of Active Vikings of only 9% and if I have A. 263 Active and B. 2526 Inactive. Should not the correct percentage be 10% or greater?

Thursday, July 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM - Response #1

I had to stare at this one for a moment to finally figure it out. The consensus on a forum thread from awhile back was to not include deceased Classmates in the inactive Classmates count...since they couldn't possible ever become active. So the Inactive Classmates total only represents living Classmates who have not joined the site.

The problem with that is the pie chart for Active Classmates is still including the total of all Clasmates including deceased Classmates. If we're not going to include deceased Classmates in the percentages, then we should also update the pie chart itself to reflect the total without deceased Classmates included. Or so it seems to me.

Baring any other recommendations here, I'm going to ask the programmer to make this change.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 at 12:46 AM - Response #2

I think his issue is that he's dividing 263 by 2526 and getting 10.4%, rounded to 10% ("Should not the correct percentage be 10% or greater?").

He really should be dividing 263 by (263+2526), as the site is showing the percentage of active students from all students, both active and inactive. Hence, 263/263+2526) is 9.4%, rounded to 9% ("it reflects an Active Percentage of Active Vikings of only 9%")

Thursday, July 30, 2009 at 6:53 PM - Response #3

Oops ... I forgot a bracket ... my last line should have said:

Hence, 263/(263+2526) is 9.4%, rounded to 9% ("it reflects an Active Percentage of Active Vikings of only 9%")

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.