ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Setting up a fake classmate name

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/19/14 11:04 AM Views: 865 Replies: 4
Saturday, April 19, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I have had a "fake" classmate name set up so that I can view the site from another perspective rather than what the site admin sees. The fake classmate is a guest and does not appear on the Classmate Profile list. I used this fake classmate to register for an event so that I could see the results before publishing it to everyone. A notification went out (to those who opted to receive)that a profile update had been made on this fake classmate. Clicking on the fake name link in the notification goes to a page which fortunately states "Sorry, not available."

How can I prevent notifications from going out on this fake classmate in the future?

Saturday, April 19, 2014 at 3:51 PM - Response #1

Rhonda, I'm curious. Since your 'test' classmate is a hidden guest, how could anyone have subscribed to them or received a notice of a profile update? I know I've done that here, and 'hidden' really does seem to mean hidden - except for admins. Or at least that the way it used to be...

Saturday, April 19, 2014 at 4:56 PM - Response #2

John - my fake or "test" (I like that term better) is not a guest (as I noted in my post), but I do have the box checked to not show on class list. I looked on my profile subscriptions and the test classmate is not there. So, I have no idea how this happened. I don't think it's ever happened before. I must've done something . . . ?????

Hoping someone at CC can tell me why a profile update notification went out.

Saturday, April 19, 2014 at 5:59 PM - Response #3

A "hidden" member (one with the "do not show on the class list button ticked) is a hybrid. It's not a fully functional member (unless you temporarily change them from hidden to guest or classmate) since the "Edit Profile" option isn't there in their left-side menu. And when you look at them using Edit Classmates, they show up at the top of the Guest list - with a Details button but no Profile button.

Still, if you go to their details, you have the option there to edit their profile, and you can add all the normal profile questions/answers, photos, videos, etc.

I've never seen anything I've done with my test member show up to anyone but admins. And when logged in as the test member, they don't have access to their profile. But... it does appear that you could make a change to the profile using Edit Classmates and check the box at the bottom to "Show this change as a Profile Update". That may (or may not) show up in the "Profile Updates" on the home page. Even then, I still don't see how anyone would be notified since they can't see or subscribe to a hidden member. The hidden test member doesn't even show up in my subscription list.

Saturday, April 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM - Response #4

Even if using the test member in Reunion Planner updated his/her profile's "Attending Reunion" field, I still don't see how anyone would be notified. I understand that creating a "Profile Change", but... as far as I know, nobody can subscribe to a hidden member.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.