ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

What happens if I change the profile questions?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/09/09 11:12 PM Views: 1228 Replies: 2
Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Hey Brad (or anyone else who can answer), our site has been active now for 4 months. I want to mix up the profile questions a bit but I'm not sure what will happen to all the information that's already in there. For instance, if I edit a question and change it to another unrelated question, will it still show the old answer to the new question or will it wipe out their answers? Also, and I guess this is a big question potentially, if I change questions does it wipe out all the answers that people have already entered and then they have to go back in and re-enter them? Like I said, I don't like some of the questions I have in there and want to change them but I want to make sure that the stuff that's already in there doesn't get deleted.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 11:37 PM - Response #1

First, never change the intent of one of the default questions. You can modify the wording, or deactivate them altogether, but never change their intent. If you do strange things will likely happen. For instance awhile back somebody changed their default "Attending Reunion?" question to "Been divorced?" Big no no. Every single person who registered for the reunion was showing up as divorced...

Second, never change the intent of one of your custom questions after you've made it. If you do that all of the current answers will no longer match the question and you'll confuse people. The system will not remove any answers just because you changed the question, no.

Here's what you want to do: If you have a question you don't want in there anymore, simply deactivate it. Deactivating it will also remove the Classmates' answers from their Profiles, but it will not remove the answers from the system. If you ever need to see those answers again, simply go back in and reactivate the question. If you DELETE the question, yes, the system will also delete all answers to that question, and you'll have no way to retrieve them.

Finally, after you've deactivated any questions you no longer wish to be active, simply add additional custom questions. And then blast email your entire Class and ask them to edit their Profiles and answer your new questions. Simple as that.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 12:19 AM - Response #2

Perfect!!! Thanks for the quick reply Brad. I wasn't sure if there was a limit to the number of questions but now I know I can just add more and then I'll move them up and down in the order.
Appreciate the help.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.