ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Reluctant Classmates

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/23/10 08:19 PM Views: 1746 Replies: 5
Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 8:19 PM

We have a classmate who despite entreaties from a number of us, will not sign up to the website.

We dont' want to show him as "missing" because he isn't.
We are considering posting his Profile ourselves using only publicly available information (although excluding his phone no and address) just so that classmates know what city he lives in and his professional achievements. We don't see an invasion of privacy if only publicly information is posted.

We don't have his e-mail and would not post it if we had.

Without his e-mail we would use a dummy login and password available only to administrators.

we are wondering if anyone else has come up with any other ways of dealing with this sort of ethical problem.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 8:33 PM - Response #1
missingclassmates.jpg

Michael,
We have a "Missing, Sort of" page, made from a survey page, so it is visible only to hose logged in, but presents the names of those "found", with a minimal amount of information, so as to not betray any confidences, but often reads" can be located on whitepages.com, may be contacted through family,etc. If a city or last know whereabouts is know, even last known e-mail, it is posted there.
Hopefully the "missing, sort of" will want their names removed soon enough and post at least their names on their profile...Hope Springs Eternal. The Golden Rule is what i try to follow...Do unto others.." because there may be reasons unknown to most about stuff they are going through or where they are in Life...
There's a fine line and some may not be ready to reach out. I am actually amazed at how many say "Thanks, but no thanks" and i just state that they have been found and are not interested. Perhaps they will change their minds someday, or maybe one friend can contact them and make a huge difference in whatever they are going through...It's just a thought from the peanut gallery of my mind.
kris

Edited 05/23/10 8:39 PM
Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 8:42 PM - Response #2

Thank you Kris.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 9:14 PM - Response #3

Edit Site Pages, Edit Classmate Profiles. There is an option to "Show Admin-entered Classmate Profile details prior to Classmate joining the site.". This is probably what you need.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 10:30 PM - Response #4

I have a few classmates that don't want their personal information on the site..but will come to the reunion, etc. etc.
I just put in a bogus address 123 No Where St. and the state. I leave the email blank. Since I have the criteria set for missing classmates 'no mailing and/or email address'.
This gets them off the missing classmates list...and respects their privacy.
This way if they ever want to join the site...they can.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 2:59 PM - Response #5

You can also just enter "not missing" (without the quotes), in their primary email spot and they will not show up on the missing list. That's what we did for our classmates who'd rather not join the site.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.