ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Classmate Profile Delete - Jealousy?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/09/09 08:39 PM Views: 1544 Replies: 4
Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 8:39 PM

This goes into the weird file. A classmate signed on to the website with what we think was a valid profile. He gets an email through the site from a former H.S. female friend in the class and responds warmly but not romantically. The H.S. friend receives an indignant email through the site from the classmate's current spouse/friend stating that the prior email has had a serious negative effect on their relationship.

A little past midnight, I received a notification from the site that the classmate had changed his name. A few minutes later, I received an email from the classmate (?) asking me to delete all information on the profile. In the morning, after picking up the emails, I look at his profile and it appears gone. His name no longer appears on the class list and is also gone from the Profile Update Box. All that remains is the date (in black not green print). Later, the spouse/friend sends an email to the H.S. friend telling her never to send another email to the classmate.

At first I was surprised that a name could be removed from the class list/profile update box without going through an administrator. I was very concerned that an email was sent through the site after the profile was "deleted". When I went back in and closely looked at the profile,I noticed that everything (including the name) was deleted except for the email address and password. That probably explains how an email could have been sent through the site after the initial "deletion". It may have been that the classmate/friend couldn't have deleted the email address and password without something in the name field.

In any event, I deleted the classmate profile (empty fields and all) from the administrator screen and hopefully that will end this weird saga, albeit minus a classmate. I'm not sure whether or not the earlier deletion was caused by jealousy or a hijacker although I think the former. I'm also not totally sure the classmate whose profile was deleted and emails were read by another is aware of the profile deletion. His current phone number and address are long gone. And the H.S. friend who wrote the initial email to someone who she hasn't seen in 40 years - she's saddened and a bit freaked out.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 8:49 PM - Response #1

People can delete anything in their Profile including most of their name. Maybe they left a space or a . or something like that in there. You can't leave the First Name or Last Name field totally blank. I of course wouldn't know much more about this than you do, but it joins a growing list of "interesting" scenarios we've heard about.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 9:48 PM - Response #2

Just to chime in... I also recently had an Active Classmate who deleted their first AND last name, too. So, it is possible for a member to remove their entire name; but, still be able to access the site via their e-mail address and password. The way I identified the deleted member was by his senior photo that I had previously uploaded to his profile page.

I'm not sure why he chose to delete himself, as he's a super nice guy, other than he may just want to maintain his privacy... which is cool. So, to complete the job for him and without asking any questions, I deleted his name altogether from our Classmate Profiles list, which also got rid of his senior photo and the date of his last profile update in the box on the Home page. He also can no longer log into the site unless he requests to have his name added back to the list....

However, I wish there was a way that us administrators could still know who deleted themselves, just in case there is no obvious clue via their e-mail address or from a senior photo... if, for no other reason, than to be alerted to a possible "situation" and to protect the privacy of all other site members.

Thanks for your consideration ~
Sandie Smile

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 11:52 PM - Response #3

Maybe they just left a space or something. You really shouldn't be able to do that either, I'll have a programmer check into that.

We did code a name change feature into the system. Snuck it in a couple weeks ago. If anybody changes their name the Root Admin is now immediately notified, including showing what the former name was, and what the new name now is.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 12:13 AM - Response #4

For what it's worth, he deleted his name on or around 5/30. There were definitely no periods or any other characters in his first or last name fields.... I don't know if he left any spaces.

Thanks for checking into it ~ Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.