ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Log on

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/10/11 11:59 AM Views: 1276 Replies: 16
Friday, June 10, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I have a site for our family. And am trying to build a tree..sort of...

We have or course several elderly family members that do not use computers. Any body have a secret or clue to a round-about to get them a profile so that other members can view their relationship to each other?

sort of a bogus e mail and password?

Some one out there is much smarter than I...for sure!!!

Jim

Friday, June 10, 2011 at 12:21 PM - Response #1

Ask the elderly family if they have a close friend or associate that can receive email on their behalf and if you are making important family announcements, they can be printed out and distributed to the family members who do not have direct access. My High School Class graduated in 1961 and their are many Classmates who do not use computers. I ask them to set up an account in the name of their daughters and sons and when ever they visit, they have access. If important announcements are being made, the message gets out without the administrator becoming encumbered with additional tasks.

Friday, June 10, 2011 at 12:36 PM - Response #2

That is what is happening now....however, that doesn't allow other family members to view there info such as phone number and mailing addres does it?

Friday, June 10, 2011 at 1:00 PM - Response #3

Try giving them a system password. That might help. Here is a link to the FAQs regarding it:

http://www.classcreator.com/faqs.html#Passwords

You can find the system password under Edit Site Pages.

Jim

Friday, June 10, 2011 at 1:20 PM - Response #4

I have created a bogus e mail addres to me using aol. If i use that e mail address and a system psassword for more than one person what happens?

No body will be using the e mail account....it is just to get them all a profile on the site

Friday, June 10, 2011 at 1:20 PM - Response #5

I have created a bogus e mail addres to me using aol. If i use that e mail address and a system psassword for more than one person what happens?

No body will be using the e mail account....it is just to get them all a profile on the site

Friday, June 10, 2011 at 1:39 PM - Response #6

JAMES LANGE wrote:

That is what is happening now....however, that doesn't allow other family members to view there info such as phone number and mailing addres does it?

This is based on the settings you pick when setting up or editing the profile. You can show address and phone numbers to other members logged when they log on.

Friday, June 10, 2011 at 1:49 PM - Response #7

I'm getting confused....here's the gig......

I have 4 elderly family members that do not use computers.

I want to get them on the website site so that when my sister, for example, she can look up ther address or phone number or birthdate. If I give them all the same e mail address and password just to get them on the family profile list, what happens.

The only time the e mail address and password will be used is to set them up initially. After that no one will use them as the members never log onto the website. If someone does try to e mail them it will just go to my dead mail box. However, when my sister does log on will she be able to view any of the information about any of the 4 seniors?

Does our website recognize duplicate e mails and password and not allow them to be used a second time?

Is any of this making sense or am I just in lala land?

JIM

Friday, June 10, 2011 at 1:51 PM - Response #8

If I use the bogus e mail and password just to log them on....then delete the e mail address and password...what happens?

JIM

Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:34 PM - Response #9

JAMES LANGE wrote:

Does our website recognize duplicate e mails and password and not allow them to be used a second time?

You can have the same email address but not the same password.

So either make a "fake" email or just get a real one from gmail/etc. Then make up a different password for each name.

For example:

MyfakeEmail@gmail.com (or MyfakeEmail@fakemail.com -- will bounce with emails - if you care)
fakepassword1
fakepassword2
...and so on ...

No need to delete any of this

Edited 06/10/11 6:35 PM
Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 11:05 AM - Response #10

Just give each one a bogus e-mail address.

ie- grandmasmith@yahoo.com, eleanorsmith@yahoo.com, smithfamilygrandma@yahoo.com. (something systematic for each fake address)

Then you can use the same password for each bogus address. (something easy to remember)

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM - Response #11

Be sure to check that the email address is not real first if you use a real providerIdea

Using a single fake (or real) email address avoids that problem and then vary the password as noted earlier.

But either works.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 1:27 PM - Response #12

I have a real e mail that will go to a box I could care less about if some one does e mail the member....a different password will work since the family member will never log on and I can make changes as admin!!!

thanks EVERYONE for the helping an old man... appreciate it much!

JIM

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 1:57 PM - Response #13

JAMES LANGE wrote:

...Any body have a secret or clue to a round-about to get them a profile so that other members can view their relationship to each other...

Jim

It isn't necessary to have an email account or password. As an admin, you can go into the individual's account and create their profile information and save it.

We did that for about 50 class members by calling those without internet access and asking them the questions and getting their oral approval that we could allow other registered class members to view their profile.

Should the individual later gain Internet access, they can still join the site and edit their profile as a user.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 4:11 PM - Response #14

John Chidester wrote:

It isn't necessary to have an email account or password. As an admin, you can go into the individual's account and create their profile information and save it.

How did you make it so classmates could view the profile? I created one for a guest (teacher and another admin added more), but couldn't view the profile without pretending they registered. Says Hasn't Joined and that's as far as I could get.

Is there some other setting that only root can see/set?

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 9:05 PM - Response #15

Going back a few messages ago-

If YOU as the administrator use your email address, you can use their name [spelled backwards is one of my tricks] as their password.
Then, when someone emails them, YOU get the message, and it does not get lost or undeliverable, or go to that 'bogus' address in the event that someone in the future actually DOES create that email account.
Depending on how big your family is, some may forget that 'Cousin Joe' does not have an internet connection, and they won't get frustrated with bouncebacks from a bogus email account.
I do this very thing for a classmate who has been in a nursing home for years, and I update his profile when I travel to see him.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 9:57 PM - Response #16

STEVE STEIN wrote:

If YOU as the administrator use your email address, you can use their name [spelled backwards is one of my tricks] as their password.

That's a great method if one wants to get more involved. Plus your comment pointed out that I should put a note in these type of profiles that this person has not really joined and is for information only.

My question to John was how can people see the created profile without doing one of the various email/password solutions presented?

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.