ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Delete Uploaded File For Link

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/15/08 10:07 AM Views: 1174 Replies: 4
Friday, August 15, 2008 at 10:07 AM

I added a link to a page that points to a PDF file that I uploaded when the link was created. The PDF file will be changing frequently to reflect new information and when I uploaded the file a second time I got a message saying that file already exists, which it does, and it automatically renames the newer version of the file with a number appended. I read a post about how to delete an uploaded image by editing the page, clicking on the image and hitting the delete key so I tried that. I edited the page, deleted the link, saved the page, edited the page again and inserted the link and uploaded the file again but the same thing happened which means that the original PDF file wasn't deleted. Is there any way to delete an uploaded link file or am I destined to keep getting newer versions of the same file? I only need the latest version and it seems like a waste to keep the other versions around.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I tried using FTP to get to my file, but I wasn't able to log in.

Edited 08/15/08 10:23 AM
Saturday, August 16, 2008 at 3:12 AM - Response #1

Class Creator is an online application. Absolutely everything runs through the interface -- there is no FTP access. If people could FTP into the webserver we'd have a disaster of unimaginable proportions on our hands. Smile

Right now you need to rename your link itself, because your file is going to get a new name each time. Shortly we'll have a new File Library feature available and you'll be able to keep the same name, see your files on the server, delete them if you wish, etc. Stay tuned.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 at 3:22 AM - Response #2

Oops sorry, you'll need a domain name for your web site if you want to use the new File Library feature. If you don't want to purchase a domain name that's perfectly fine, but you'll need to upload your PDF file to a free file host somewhere, such as www.rapidshare.com and link to it there. Our new File Library system is all structured by domain name.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 11:11 AM - Response #3

Thanks for your response Brad, I appreciate it. After trying the methods I described in my posting I thought that might be the case. I can imagine giving users FTP access could be a problem. I'm going to be getting a domain name so I'll give the file library feature a try. Will you be sending out an e-mail to administrators when that feature is available?

As a suggestion can you provide the same functionality for deleting uploaded file links as you do for images? For example in edit mode if you delete a link pointing to file that was uploaded it deletes the uploaded file as well? That would be nice.

Jeff

Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 12:19 PM - Response #4

Whenever we release a new feature of any significance all Administrators will receive an email about it, and the new feature announcement will also appear here in this forum.

Yes, the new File Library feature will allow you to browse all of your files and delete them, etc. It'll be way better than the "upload it and never see it again" type of function that's i there now. It seems like every day we get sidetracked lately, but nonetheless I think the new File Library feature should be here in a couple weeks.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.