ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

No camera icon appears

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/05/09 11:41 AM Views: 3425 Replies: 14
Thursday, November 5, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Hello,

As a new subscriber, this is all a bit foggy. But reading the forums and FAQ is a wonderful way to find out more. The Forum contributors and responders are amazingly helpful. We are so happy to be with CC!

Problem: Yesterday, I uploaded yearbook photos for new "profilers", but the camera icon didn't appear then or now. (What is it about trying again after something doesn't work hoping for better results??)

Anyone have a good way to organize & uniformly size yearbook photos for uploading? They are scanned into an iPhoto album by yearbook page number--57 pages. I currently copy, crop, size, export to desktop and upload each individually.

Thanks very much - Donna

Thursday, November 5, 2009 at 6:02 PM - Response #1

Hi Donna,

You, the Admin, adding a Yearbook Photo does not trigger the camera icon to display. The camera icon will only display if the Classmate him or herself has added 1 or more photos.

Regarding your question about the best way for scanning Senior Photos, be sure to take a look at our Senior Photo Scanning Help Document.

Friday, November 6, 2009 at 3:04 PM - Response #2

Thanks Brad,

I understand better how the camera icons works. I've tried to download your pdf file on yearbook photo management but a message always come back, "file corrupt, damaged, etc..." Other Adobe docs download to may computer just fine--what am I doing wrong with this one?

Also I am uploading yearbook photos in full size, allowing your software to size it correctly. Do you have better recommendations?

Thanks again,
Donna

Friday, November 6, 2009 at 8:32 PM - Response #3
yearbook1.pdf

Can you open the PDF I attached to this forum thread? If not you may need to upgrade your Adobe Reader to the latest version at www.adobe.com.

I recommend resizing your Yearbook Photos to 100 pixels wide prior to uploading. Our system will still resize them slightly, but you'll wait a lot less time for the uploads to complete.

Friday, November 6, 2009 at 11:17 PM - Response #4

Brad,

I'll upgrade Adobe and try again.

Thanks very much for responding on a Friday night--now that's customer service!

Donna

Friday, November 6, 2009 at 11:26 PM - Response #5

Just curious, did you try to open the attachment I posted above? It has a different file name from the first link I provided. Both are the same document, but for some reason I've never understood, sometimes when you get the error you described you can't open up the PDF document even with the latest Adobe Reader no matter how hard you try. The only thing that works is changing the file name, which I did for you above.

Saturday, November 7, 2009 at 12:06 AM - Response #6

Brad,

I'm giving up for tonight. Won't open so I upgraded to Adobe 9. But now the default that appears on my computer is Adobe 5 with no option to choose 9--I can click kon it but it won't open or change the default setting---argh!

I'll try to figure it out tomorrow.

Sweet dreams,

Donna

Saturday, November 7, 2009 at 12:18 AM - Response #7

Ahhhh. Go into your Control Panel and uninstall your Adobe Reader 5. In fact for good measure you might want to uninstall both 5 and 9. And then just reinstall 9. That should solve this for you.

Saturday, November 7, 2009 at 11:35 AM - Response #8

Morning Brad,

I tried to uninstall Acrobat 5 and reinstall Adobe 9 Reader, however my Mac didn't cooperate (always a good thing when I might mess up) and all the help/support reading at Adobe left me convinced that I was in enemy territory. So I opened Acrobat 9 and then tried the first link you sent and voila, it opened, I printed it out and it looks like it will be very helpful.

Thanks for sticking with me!

Donna

Saturday, November 7, 2009 at 11:42 AM - Response #9

Smile

Friday, November 13, 2009 at 9:39 PM - Response #10

Hi Brad,

Remember last Friday night when we wrestled Adobe Reader to the ground trying to open your "Yearbook" help document? As a result, I had to upgrade to Adobe9 (from Adobe Reader 5) which opened the Yearbook document. However, I find out tonight that A9 is only good to make 5 pdf docs before I am compelled to upgrade and pay. I used it today to create a pdf and create a link (with Kyle's help). But my test classmate cannot open the link. Question: will all my classmates have to upgrade to Adobe9 to open the link and if so, what happened to the free Adobe reader software?

No need for a rush answer! Thanks again,

Donna

Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 1:30 AM - Response #11

I think you may be confusing the Adobe Reader with the Acrobat Writer, which actually creates PDF files (that one you have to pay for). The Adobe Reader is free, has always been free, and presumably always will be free. If you downloaded the software to create your own PDF files that's not necessary at all to read PDF files. All you need is the free reader, which all of your Classmates can also use for free.

Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 10:57 AM - Response #12

Thanks for your response Brad,

When we were trying to get the Yearbook pdf to download and I went to Adobe to get the upgrade, after entering my Mac's OS info, the Adobe software directed me to Acrobat9 (didn't say "Writer") sneaky, eh? I should have known better. However, your pdf then downloaded. So how did that happen? And now that I've used Acrobat9 to create the pdf, it appears that older versions of Reader won't open it. Will the new link we just uploaded on our reunion page be worthless to classmates who aren't on the cutting edge of Adobe? You've made this site so easy I've willingly wandered into alligator territory! Any suggestions?

Donna

Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 11:40 AM - Response #13

There are some FREE pdf writers available.

try http://www.cutepdf.com or http://www.pdf995.com/

They work as a printer driver so you just print to it and it will generate a PDF file for you.

I don't know if they work for MAC computers.

Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 11:52 AM - Response #14

It's possible some Classmates may need to update their version of the Adobe Reader but that's pretty normal. The important thing is there's no cost.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.