ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

PowerPoint Presentations

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/11/10 03:57 PM Views: 2821 Replies: 18
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I've had a classmate send me an email of 50's music and pictures. You have to open it using PowerPoint. They want me to put it on the class site, saying others will enjoy it, too. It is kind of neat..

How do I do this or can I even do this ?

Thanks Lynda

Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 5:29 PM - Response #1

Two answers for you here:

1) The most ideal way to do it is convert the PowerPoint presentation to Flash, then embed the Flash movie on your site. Let me know if you want to do that and I can give you further help regarding the the exact procedure for embedding the Flash object. But you should start at something like this to see what kind of products are available to do the conversion.

2) You can post the PowerPoint presentation itself, and Classmates can view it the same way you're using it now, but each Classmate has to have PowerPoint to do what you're doing, and many won't. Flash will be far more universally compatible. Here's the instructions if you want to do it anyway though:

a) Click Edit Site Pages and click the Edit button next to the page where you want the Powerpoint download link.

b) Click the chain link icon on the editor toolbar, then click the File Vault button. Follow the directions on screen to upload your file.

c) Once uploaded click on the file, then click the "Insert" link you see to the right of the file.

d) Click OK a couple of times to return to your main editor window, then save your page.

Voila, your PowerPoint presentation is now on your web site, and Classmate can click your link to view the presentation (again, only if they have PowerPoint installed on their computer).

Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 5:38 PM - Response #2

Lynda Laughner wrote:

I've had a classmate send me an email of 50's music and pictures. You have to open it using PowerPoint. They want me to put it on the class site, saying others will enjoy it, too. It is kind of neat..

How do I do this or can I even do this ?

Thanks Lynda

Can't wait to see the Presentation!!!

Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 6:00 PM - Response #3

Brad Switzer wrote:

1) The most ideal way to do it is convert the PowerPoint presentation to Flash, then embed the Flash movie on your site. Let me know if you want to do that and I can give you further help regarding the the exact procedure for embedding the Flash object. But you should start at something like this to see what kind of products are available to do the conversion.

2) You can post the PowerPoint presentation itself, and Classmates can view it the same way you're using it now, but each Classmate has to have PowerPoint to do what you're doing, and many won't. Flash will be far more universally compatible. Here's the instructions if you want to do it anyway though:

a) Click Edit Site Pages and click the Edit button next to the page where you want the Powerpoint download link.

b) Click the chain link icon on the editor toolbar, then click the File Vault button. Follow the directions on screen to upload your file.

c) Once uploaded click on the file, then click the "Insert" link you see to the right of the file.

d) Click OK a couple of times to return to your main editor window, then save your page.

Voila, your PowerPoint presentation is now on your web site, and Classmate can click your link to view the presentation (again, only if they have PowerPoint installed on their computer).

Wow Brad, I think you perhaps did a double duty on this one. Unrelated to above post, I want to make a video (probably best in Flash) for my "In Memory" folks. One other website on here did that, but I can't find out how she made the video, and the source for kewl things and scenens for "In Memory", like candles and angels, nature scenes, etc. I want to embed some pictures of the classmates that have passed away along with names, etc. and back ground music.

I am more familiar with Power Point than video editing software, and could do what I want in Power Point, then convert it!

Kewl! I think I will try such an approach in Power Point. If you have any hints on where to find some "memory" scenes of camdles, angels watching over, and stuff like that, I would sure like to know.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 6:09 PM - Response #4

I too need an In Memory slideshow. Do you remember which site has the slideshow you mentioned? Would the creator be willing to share her sources for the candles, angels, etc.?

Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 6:40 PM - Response #5

Thanks, Brad.. I think I'll try putting the powerpoint on the site and say "you'll need PowerPoint on you're computer to be able to watch this ".. Although, I'm not sure I have an empty link.. Can it be entered on the homepage as an announcement ?

Reading the link you sent, I'll have to pay $25.00 to buy software to convert pp to flash. I may think about it later, as I have several pp presentations that would be neat on my site..

Thanks for you help.. Lynda

Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 7:13 PM - Response #6

Derrell Pulis wrote:

Brad Switzer wrote:

Wow Brad, I think you perhaps did a double duty on this one. Unrelated to above post, I want to make a video (probably best in Flash) for my "In Memory" folks. One other website on here did that, but I can't find out how she made the video, and the source for kewl things and scenens for "In Memory", like candles and angels, nature scenes, etc. I want to embed some pictures of the classmates that have passed away along with names, etc. and back ground music.

I am more familiar with Power Point than video editing software, and could do what I want in Power Point, then convert it!

Kewl! I think I will try such an approach in Power Point. If you have any hints on where to find some "memory" scenes of camdles, angels watching over, and stuff like that, I would sure like to know.

I do it the old fashioned way and Google what I'm looking for. Smile Others may have some specific resources. There's many ways to make web presentations of course, from making in Flash itself, making it in any number of video editing applications (including the free Windows Movie Maker on most computer), iMovie for Mac, and any # of offline and online applications like ProShow Gold or One True Media. Really just depends what you want and what you're comfortable with.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 7:16 PM - Response #7

Lynda Laughner wrote:

Thanks, Brad.. I think I'll try putting the powerpoint on the site and say "you'll need PowerPoint on you're computer to be able to watch this ".. Although, I'm not sure I have an empty link.. Can it be entered on the homepage as an announcement ?

Reading the link you sent, I'll have to pay $25.00 to buy software to convert pp to flash. I may think about it later, as I have several pp presentations that would be neat on my site..

Thanks for you help.. Lynda

Sure, an announcement link or home page content link would work just fine. Another option would be to export the PowerPoint presentation to video, and then use a video to Flash converter to convert it to Flash.

Edited 07/11/10 7:18 PM
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 7:19 PM - Response #8

Kate McDonald wrote:

I too need an In Memory slideshow. Do you remember which site has the slideshow you mentioned? Would the creator be willing to share her sources for the candles, angels, etc.?

This is the Class Creator website that had the very nice Memory Video. http://www.ndhsreunion.org/

I have sent private email to Diane at this site, but no response just yet. If you go to her website, the 6th menu down is the video, and it can be viewed, OR, here is the link to view directly, just save it to your Desktop as a shortcut.

http://www.ndhsreunion.org/000/9/5/5/12559/userfiles/file/Movie_To_Upload.wmv

Edited 07/11/10 7:20 PM
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 10:47 PM - Response #9

Here's a link anyone with a PC (Windows any version incl. Win7 can use to download a PowerPoint Reader FREE from Microsoft:Free PowerPoint Reader

Edited 07/11/10 10:48 PM
Monday, July 12, 2010 at 10:50 AM - Response #10

Brad Switzer wrote:

Brad,
Could you make this a sticky??? This is great info...that most of us would luv to be able to go back to. I don't do PwrPt Presentations..but I have other committee members that do...it sure would be a lot of help. If I put the instructions on my puter..I know I will never find it..WinkWink
Thanx in advance,

Monday, July 12, 2010 at 10:57 AM - Response #11

Brad Switzer wrote:

Sure, an announcement link or home page content link would work just fine. Another option would be to export the PowerPoint presentation to video, and then use a video to Flash converter to convert it to Flash.

Brad,
Is the ability to export from PowerPoint to video part of the standard PP installation or is an add-on required?'

Thanks.

Monday, July 12, 2010 at 11:47 AM - Response #12

From what I can gather it appears to be something you have to add on. I know little about the latest PowerPoint.

Monday, July 12, 2010 at 12:16 PM - Response #13

Just a word of caution for those who have never used one of these PowerPoint to Flash Converters--they are not for the "Faint at Heart." If you have never used one before, just trying to figure out which version could take a lot of time and energy. Not impossible, just don't be surprised at how many times you get the wrong version and the HOURS it takes for the software to make the necessary conversions.

It is best to download the "Free Trials" first and find the one that works for you, before you actually lay out the $$$.

Dick, these conversion programs are EXTRA and all cost $50 or more. I have several different programs on my MAC for different purposes.

Monday, July 12, 2010 at 12:44 PM - Response #14

One thing I might mention. Those who have MAC computers, who also have "Keynote" (part of iWork $80) have the ability to "take apart" any PowerPoint presentation slide by slide, remove any music and add back your own selections or extend/shorten the duration as you see fit. Of course if you have a PC and PowerPoint PRO you can do much the same thing.

Friday, February 3, 2012 at 6:08 PM - Response #15

What am I doing wrong!! I am trying to place a PP presentation in the folder Remember When, here are the steps I am following, but each time I get a message file not on server.
1. go to Edit Site Pages
2. click Edit next to R.W.
3. type in click here
4. highlight it
5. click Link icon (3rd from left middle line)
6. browse to file and upload
7. click save at btm of page
8. message - web page or file not on server

Help
Thanks

Friday, February 3, 2012 at 6:22 PM - Response #16

Try uploading the file again to the File Vault, this time, no "Single Quote" or Apostrophe in the name of the file. Then delete the other one that you uploaded.

Friday, February 3, 2012 at 6:44 PM - Response #17

Thanks, you guys are the greatest!

Friday, February 3, 2012 at 7:04 PM - Response #18

did it work?

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.