ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Email Notifications not displaying addresses

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/14/08 03:04 PM Views: 1247 Replies: 7
Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 3:04 PM

When someone from my site receives an email notification that they have a message from a classmate it is indicating the following message...

This message has been sent to you from . If you reply to this message your response will be sent directly to .

There is no email address listed and only a "."

Does this mean that you have now decided to make the email addresses private unless the classmates choose to disclose these (which if that is the case I truly appreciate it) or is this just another bug?

I don't understand why the email addresses had to be disclosed to begin with when you have to log onto the site to get your messages anyway. We don't have that here on this forum.

Edited 08/14/08 5:55 PM
Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 3:51 PM - Response #1

Did this person possibly remove their email address from their profile? Can you check? If there's an email address in the profile it should show it at the bottom of the email.

Anywhere on the Internet, if you choose to email somebody, then you're going to have to show an email address. If you don't want your email address revealed to somebody, then you should not send them an email at all.

The reason we show an email address is simple: An email has to come FROM sombody. You can't send an email from nobody. And if we send the email FROM postmaster@classcreator.net, guess what numerous people do? They just click "respond" in their own email program, and they send responses intended for Classmates right to me personally. Trust me, you don't want that happening, and neither do I.

As it is now, even if people click on reply in their own email software and never come back to the class web site, the reply goes right back to the original sender as it should.

If you are concerned about Classmates seeing each other's email addresses once an email contact has been deliberately initiated, you should inform your Classmates they simply should not email people at all (they could always just chat in the forum). In the world of email, people do see each other's email address. That's how it works with any email software I've ever seen in my life. If you purposely send an email to somebody, you should expect the recipient to see your email address and be able to respond back to you.

Edited 08/14/08 3:57 PM
Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 3:55 PM - Response #2

By the way, we send out the notification that there is a message waiting at the site to the Classmate's regular email address so they know they have something. Classmates can always opt out of these email notifications from the bottom of any message if they don't want them. 99% of people do want them though -- virtually nobody unsubscribes (less than 1%). Trust me, if we stopped sending out these notifications that somebody has left a message for them at the site, I'd get about a thousand complaints in 2 seconds.

Edited 08/14/08 3:59 PM
Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 4:43 PM - Response #3

Yes that is the first thing I checked when he (my husband) said he got the "." as the email address thinking maybe he just removed his email address from his profile but the full email address is listed under the senders contact information. I then sent him a message from me and it did the same thing and only listed my email address as "."

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 5:26 PM - Response #4

I've forwarded one on to Brad so he has the example.

Edited 08/14/08 5:41 PM
Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 5:52 PM - Response #5

Well Tracy you just won the "first to spot the bug" award. Again. Smile If we gave out blue ribbons for this, you'd have a wall of them I think.

I've put in a programming task on this and it should be resolved this evening.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 9:18 PM - Response #6

This bug has been squashed.

Friday, August 15, 2008 at 12:56 AM - Response #7

[quote="Brad Switzer"]Well Tracy you just won the "first to spot the bug" award. Again. Smile If we gave out blue ribbons for this, you'd have a wall of them I think.
quote]

I except cash, gold and diamonds. On rare occasions I will also except services such as dish washing, laundry service and full detail on my vehicle...but when you get around to handing out those blue ribbons I will gladly display them on my wall.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.