ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Deceased Classmate has LOTS of Family Mbrs

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/18/10 07:38 PM Views: 1963 Replies: 10
Monday, October 18, 2010 at 7:38 PM

I think I might be foreseeing a little problem, but perhaps not. Just appreciate some opinion.

We have a classmate who passed away 20 years ago at the age of 48. Very recently, we found her husband, and he joined us as a Guest supplying some WONDERFUL stories about Judie (our deceased classmate). She was deep in to poetry, and published a few books.

Anyway, now Judie's daughter wants to join the website, and just today Judie's sister. I am going to approve these, but any suggestions on how far one might go in Family Guests? Not too sure I want to get into a half dozen family guests.....I was almost thinking perhaps a GROUP GUEST ID and password or something. Maybe I am over reacting.........

Monday, October 18, 2010 at 7:50 PM - Response #1

No, don't think you are overreacting at all. I understand this is a way for the family to share some memories, etc but if her husband wants to share his username and password then he is free to do so. This is a classmate site afterall. I would say we have limited capacity for guests and let them work it out. Smile

Monday, October 18, 2010 at 8:00 PM - Response #2

Class of 1966 Juanita Catrina wrote:

No, don't think you are overreacting at all. I understand this is a way for the family to share some memories, etc but if her husband wants to share his username and password then he is free to do so. This is a classmate site afterall. I would say we have limited capacity for guests and let them work it out. Smile

Thanks Janie, pretty well what I think also. Gosh, they could even get a "joint" gmail address or something. I never anticipated this. I definitely don't want the Guests to outnumber the classmates............LOL

Monday, October 18, 2010 at 8:10 PM - Response #3

The good news is they like the site so it means you are doing a good job. Smile

Monday, October 18, 2010 at 9:19 PM - Response #4

Congratulations, Derrell on having a "problem" as nice as this one! We should all be so fortunate!
Your classmate's family is part of her legacy and it is wonderful that they are able to commemorate her life and carry on in her name. I tend to side on "the more the merrier" side, because we are actually dealing with reconnections and "connections", many of which we will never realize the full extent until we see the replay of all we have done...but until then, one never knows what wonderful things can happen with whatever you "allow" to happen on your site.
Your site may be the only and perhaps the most powerful way to "allow" some healing, as well as some wonderful "legacy" memories.
After attending a most wonderful, bittersweet memorial service this last weekend, I am convinced that the internet is a most wonderful "tool" to allow one's legacy to touch many lives it would not have without it...
Rather than jump to conclusions, perhaps welcoming the new "adventure" will be more enlightening and wonderful than anyone can imagine...it's just a thought!
Follow your instincts, and your heart...!

kris

Monday, October 18, 2010 at 10:28 PM - Response #5

Good point also Kris,

I will take up with my Reunion Committee, but you point out this may not happen either with a lot of future passings of our classmates.

What is neat, Judie published 2 books of poetry, but recently another "Guest" of an earlier class realized in High School (we're talking 50 + years ago) that she "typed" 7 poems for Judy, that were hand written. The earlier class Guest actually kept those hand written poems, as Judie only wanted the typed copies. Over 50 years, saved those poems in some drawer somewhere! Pretty fantastic the stuff we are uncovering. Probably meant to happen....Crying or Very sad

Monday, October 18, 2010 at 10:48 PM - Response #6

I agree with Janie 100%!

Margaret

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 at 9:15 PM - Response #7

We have faced a similar situation on our site. Our committee discussed it and come up with a compromise. We opened up the In Memory section to the public so the family or anyone else could see the information, but the rest of the site remained restricted to classmates only. It turned out to be the best solution for our site.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 at 2:28 PM - Response #8

How do you create this'memory section' which is open to the pub lic? We just found our 1st deceased member and would like to do this same?
Barbara Ecker

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 at 2:36 PM - Response #9

Barbara Ecker wrote:

How do you create this'memory section' which is open to the pub lic?

You would go to the Edit Site Pages link and look for the In Memory page. If the page is Active and not Password protected, people can view the page.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 at 3:40 PM - Response #10

Goodness Barbara, your first deceased?! How big was your class? We are class of 1966, had about 260 classmates and already have 16 deceased. The first back in 1977.

I think the Memory page is great.

Janie

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.